Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Sportage EX w/Tech
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're both really enjoying this car (it's my wife's but I drive it as much as she does it seems). The one thing that we've noticed is the poor light thrown by the headlights. They have a yellow hew to them and at times it seems the lights aren't even on (they are). Compared to our 2019 Acura, when we pull in the garage the lights are almost white bright in the Acura but rather dim yellow in the Sportage. I plan to take it to the dealer to get checked but wonder if we're just discovering a feature of the Sportage that isn't on the plus side? Thanks.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Forte EX, 2020 Kia Soul EX, 2002 Corvette Z06
99 Posts
Just wondering if the Acura had LED headlights and the Sportage (depending on the model) does not?

·
Registered
2013 LX & 2020 EX KIA Sportages
59 Posts
We're both really enjoying this car (it's my wife's but I drive it as much as she does it seems). The one thing that we've noticed is the poor light thrown by the headlights. They have a yellow hew to them and at times it seems the lights aren't even on (they are). Compared to our 2019 Acura, when we pull in the garage the lights are almost white bright in the Acura but rather dim yellow in the Sportage. I plan to take it to the dealer to get checked but wonder if we're just discovering a feature of the Sportage that isn't on the plus side? Thanks.
Acura probably has Halogen headlights. We live in a rural area where there are no streetlights and both our Sportages do OK with night driving ? Our 2013 has regular bulbs but the 2020 has LED and are noticeably brighter.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage SX AWD and 1988 Mercedes 300CE
368 Posts
I've had a 2017 SX with the HID's and now the 2020 SX with LED's and have been pleased with both (neither were yellow).

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Sportage EX
184 Posts
He almost certainly has normal halogen lights (the standard light for 40 years now). The daytime running lights (LED) are significantly whiter than my halogen headlights and both are illuminated when my headlights are switched to the "on" position.

The Acura may have HID which are both brighter and whiter then normal halogens.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX
12 Posts
Get a set of LEDs or HIDs(your choice) and you’ll definitely notice the difference.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage EX Tech, 2015 Sportage EX Luxury
9 Posts
You have the "good" lights with the EX Tech. I have the same car and the lights are very white looking from the drivers seat. You should get them checked.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage EX AWD
24 Posts
We have a 2020 EX loaded, not sure if HID or regular but I find the lights a fine color but I don't think they are very bright from a drivers perspective. I also have a 2017 EX and have the same issue. I almost always need my fog lights on to feel comfortable in the dark.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Sorento SXL / 2020 Kia Sportage EX
13 Posts
Except they are all already LED in the 2020 EX
My 2020 EX w/Tech Package came with halogen low beams and high beams and the only LED lights on the front are the day-time running lights. I too am not impressed by the headlight performance of the Sportage.

What helped me was to aim the Sportage headlights a bit lower. I think the headlights came from the factory aimed too high. I reaimed the headlights down just a bit and it helped. It's still not great, but better (to me) than before.

I've also tried two different sets of LED headlight bulbs from Amazon, and they were just ok. I saw whiter light, but it didn't seem to improve the overall beam pattern.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage EX w/Tech
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 2020 EX w/Tech Package came with halogen low beams and high beams and the only LED lights on the front are the day-time running lights. I too am not impressed by the headlight performance of the Sportage.

What helped me was to aim the Sportage headlights a bit lower. I think the headlights came from the factory aimed too high. I reaimed the headlights down just a bit and it helped. It's still not great, but better (to me) than before.

I've also tried two different sets of LED headlight bulbs from Amazon, and they were just ok. I saw whiter light, but it didn't seem to improve the overall beam pattern.
Thanks for the post. The dealer suggested aiming them a bit lower too but I wanted to try using the fog lights which was also suggested, and see if that helps. My manual shows that all the light bulb replacements for the front of the car are LED. Not only fog lights.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage EX w/Tech
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the post. The dealer suggested aiming them a bit lower too but I wanted to try using the fog lights which was also suggested, and see if that helps. My manual shows that all the light bulb replacements for the front of the car are LED. Not only fog lights.
Can you share the steps you followed to make the adjustments yourself? Dealer wants $72.00 to adjust the headlights. Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage EX w/Tech
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can you share the steps you followed to make the adjustments yourself? Dealer wants $72.00 to adjust the headlights. Thanks.
I just found a Youtube video. Looks really simple. Just turning a screw does it.

·
Registered
2019 Sportage LX AWD, 2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS
12 Posts
Immediately after bringing home my 2019 LX AWD, I placed an order for a set of 55W 10000k HID's with CANBUS ballast. I installed them and did some mods on the headlight bulb caps and there you go, the lighting is better than stock halogens. There is no need to re-adjust the beam pattern. After a few months, I upgraded the fogs using the same set of HID's, never regretted. This summer, I plan to install dedicated relays for these ballast to serve as an extra protection for the cars electrical system.

·
Registered
2020 kia sportage lx awd
9 Posts
Immediately after bringing home my 2019 LX AWD, I placed an order for a set of 55W 10000k HID's with CANBUS ballast. I installed them and did some mods on the headlight bulb caps and there you go, the lighting is better than stock halogens. There is no need to re-adjust the beam pattern. After a few months, I upgraded the fogs using the same set of HID's, never regretted. This summer, I plan to install dedicated relays for these ballast to serve as an extra protection for the cars electrical system.
Any issues with melting? Ive got a 55w set that i want to install but ive had a 35w set in my other vehicle and ended up melting the mounting point on the housing so i was afriad to try it in a brand new vehicle. Also, was that installed for the drls or high/lo?

·
Registered
2020 Sportage EX w/Tech
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I made a small adjustment to the headlights. I eyeballed it against the garage wall and the difference is amazing. We have normal headlights now.

·
Registered
2016 Sportage 2.0
3 Posts
We have the 2016 Sportage Base model , An the headlights were less than desirable , we have a few streets out in the county that's narrow an void of street lights , I felt like I was over driving the headlights as I could only see a bit past the lites at night , An after having several Deer , An various other wildlife run out in front on me causing a panic stop , I adjusted my headlights a bit higher , I've had no problems of other Drivers hi beaming me when we would pass , So maybe The Dealer had already dipped my lights , I looked Factor Upgrades for my car , The price knocked me outta my chair , so I've started looking at various aftermarket up grades

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage S FWD
7 Posts
When I am driving on rural and dark streets, I use my automatic high beams because of this issue! Without them, I feel like I am over driving my lights as well. I know nothing about adjusting lights (I'm female), so the high beams are my answer.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage EX w/Tech
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When I am driving on rural and dark streets, I use my automatic high beams because of this issue! Without them, I feel like I am over driving my lights as well. I know nothing about adjusting lights (I'm female), so the high beams are my answer.
If you have a friend who has even low level mechanical know how, e.g. can change wiper blades, they could easily do this for you. There is a YouTube video that shows where the dials are for adjusting. It appears they are almost universal to all car headlights and it's as simple as using a screw driver to change the light trajectory. I believe the video I used was specifically for a KIA Sportage. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage S FWD
7 Posts
If you have a friend who has even low level mechanical know how, e.g. can change wiper blades, they could easily do this for you. There is a YouTube video that shows where the dials are for adjusting. It appears they are almost universal to all car headlights and it's as simple as using a screw driver to change the light trajectory. I believe the video I used was specifically for a KIA Sportage. Good Luck!
Thank you!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts