Kia Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX, IVT
99 Posts
OK, it's been a few days, and I'm still curious, as to whether you've figured out where the oil is going?
If it's going out the tail pipe, you should be able to check the inside of the pipe for Black Carbon deposits.

What you're reporting is just not right, for an engine that's in good health. (sorry for the Under-Statement)
I'm now driving my third KIA Soul, but only the second Gen-3, 2.0, Atkinson Cycle engine.

Every few days, I'm under the hood of my Soul, checking the oil level, washer fluid level, coolant level, air cleaner, etc.
So far all I've ever done is add more Washer Fluid. Living on a dirt road, my windshield really catches heck, and has to be washed every morning when I get into the car.

I really hope you can figure out where the oil is going. Keep us informed, Please.

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX, IVT
99 Posts
Of course, it's impossible, but I just wish that I could troubleshoot the problem myself.
Years ago, I taught a course in "System Fault Analysis", and I'm pretty sure that could be used effectively in the case of your Oil guzzler.
In the three Souls I've had, I had only one case of Oil Consumption, and that was on my 2013 Soul, 1.6L. That problem was corrected by the replacement of the Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve. I found one at my local Advance Auto Parts store, and replaced it myself.
That day, the oil consumption ceased.
It's hard to believe that as new as your car is, the problem could be a stuffed up PCV valve, but ya jus never know.
But it might be something worth checking into.

Good Luck,
:cool:

·
Registered
2020 Soul GT 2.0 MPI
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Of course, it's impossible, but I just wish that I could troubleshoot the problem myself.
Years ago, I taught a course in "System Fault Analysis", and I'm pretty sure that could be used effectively in the case of your Oil guzzler.
In the three Souls I've had, I had only one case of Oil Consumption, and that was on my 2013 Soul, 1.6L. That problem was corrected by the replacement of the Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve. I found one at my local Advance Auto Parts store, and replaced it myself.
That day, the oil consumption ceased.
It's hard to believe that as new as your car is, the problem could be a stuffed up PCV valve, but ya jus never know.
But it might be something worth checking into.

Good Luck,
It started at about 300 miles. Went away for a while....then returned. My 18 y/o son's 2003 Corolla uses no oil at all. I have a 2010 Hyundai Tuscon, just went 6000 miles between Oil changes, never used a drop. Oil in the Tuscon looks better after 6000 than the oil in the soul after 700 miles.

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX, IVT
99 Posts
I asked a KIA trained and certified mechanic about the oil consumption problem, and here is his response:

The MPI engines should not be using any oil whatsoever. Any that I have seen using oil had the piston ring issues. Oddly enough when you look down the cylinders with a bore-scope it is usually just one piston that is wiped out and it is random as to which one. The piston ring issue may have affected more engines than they anticipated because it seems like rather than having engines where all the piston rings are bad, they have some where one piston has a bad ring in the engine. I really see the problem with KIA appears to be more of a dealerships are poorly staffed with not good techs and unwilling to do anything for customers even though KIA gives us all the tools and support to make things right. I have never seen or heard of any other manufacturer that stands behind their product with the warranties and extensions that KIA gives but it does require techs and dealerships to do their part. If a customer told me that they are consuming oil on a 2020 Soul with not that many miles on it, I would pull the spark plugs out and peek in there with a bore-scope as that takes maybe 10-15 minutes.

If it's still under warranty, and it should be, I'd force KIA to fix it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
It started at about 300 miles. Went away for a while....then returned. My 18 y/o son's 2003 Corolla uses no oil at all. I have a 2010 Hyundai Tuscon, just went 6000 miles between Oil changes, never used a drop. Oil in the Tuscon looks better after 6000 than the oil in the soul after 700 miles.
Our 2020 2.0 MPI has begun using 16oz oil at only 14k. Engine was built right smack in the middle of the six month period of 2019 - that Kia suspects oil rings problems will occur.
I changed the oil yesterday at 3k and used a different brand name - plus different viscosity (10w30 synthetic) this time.
Hoping the engine was not fond of the 5w30 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum it's been receiving since new.
Trip777

Reactions: wild willy

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX, IVT
99 Posts
Willy, is KIA offering you no help at all? Like, a new engine?
If not, why not just try the next best thing, and seat those rings. Eh?
To do that, manually, so to speak, you have to WORK your engine.
If, during that process, your engine throws a rod, then KIA will HAVE to replace it.
Sounds like a plan.

Happy Easter, Sir

·
Registered
2020 Soul GT 2.0 MPI
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Not using enough. At the beginning when it was using more, showed them the spreadsheet....they said normal. I will keep adding and when it blows up, they can come get it and put a new motor in it. Happy Easter to you too. It runs fine, drives fine....just uses oil.

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX, IVT
99 Posts
Well, at least, we all know that your engine is getting its Lubrication. But then, so is the CAT which is NOT a good thing.

On a personal note, I've had three KIA Souls now, and the only one that ever used ANY oil at all, was the 2013 1.6L, when the PCV valve got stuck, fouled, whatever. I just bought a new valve at Discount Auto Parts, changed it myself, which was super easy, and the oil consumption stopped immediately.
Those little valves live in an extremely harsh environment and can, and do, get stuffed up fairly easily.

On the big Detroit Iron, (GM cars, mostly) those valves were stuck in a hole in the top of the valve cover and easily pulled out for cleaning. (although almost no one ever did)
I used to clean mine on every oil change (3k miles) I never ever had a PCV valve Failure.

Now, on the lighter side, I just got a call from my KIA Dealer, to wish me a Happy Birthday. (yes I turned 79 yesterday) I wonder, just how many dealers actually do things like that? My car is the largest investment I've ever made in my life, so it's nice to know that I have a dealer that takes a personal interest in me.
We had a very brief chat, about the 2023 models that will only come out in BASE models to start with. Fewer nannies and lower trim levels are due to the many chips that those require, and the lack of those chips. But that's pretty much become public knowledge, at least for those people who are paying attention.

Keep oiling that Bomb, so it doesn't explode.

Gesture Font Flag Magenta Circle
Happy 4th!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Happy Birthday Andro. My wife celebrates her's on June 25th. She just turned 72. Her hair stays brown and I have more gray than my pictured dog Roscoe....lol

21 - 33 of 33 Posts