Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Soul GT 2.0 MPI
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you have a Soul that was part of the recall, passed their joke tests , and consistently has an oil consumption issue? Only cars I have ever owned new that used oil were FORDS.

·
Registered
2020 Soul GT 2.0 MPI
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
All of the Oil changes have been done by the dealer to this point. I do not know what they use. My free ones are up and I will be doing the rest of them. It burned like crazy at 450 miles up until 3000 miles and then stopped. Started back up at 19,742. I stay pretty well documented down to the oz. that I add.

·
Registered
2020 Soul GT 2.0 MPI
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't do dealer oil changes or intervals or free changes.... skipped them all. That's the start of the problem.... blind trust in dealer and bulk mud oil
This is the only car I have ever owned that I let them do it. Never took the freebies. I do not follow their intervals either, If had, I would still have an oil change left. I have heard a lot of negative stories about kia trying to deny warranty....I figured with a car that has engine problems..it might be best to let them do it for a period of time

·
Registered
2012 Soul Base
40 Posts
There are a lot of variables but the most common issue by far that I've seen that causes oil burning is carbon buildup in piston rings. Our feedback on engines replaced under warranty were almost 100% carbon buildup and we were directed to de-carbon engines, change the oil and use a synthetic, and return the vehicle to the customer with some specific advice, like use of synthetic oil and Top Tier gasolines, then do a follow-up on the next service. If it was still using excessive oil then it was a candidate for warranty. I don't remember ever changing an engine for excessive consumption, though I retired about 18 months after the program started. The customers who did come back for service were no longer seeing excessive oil consumption so it seemed to make quite a difference.

On the gasoline, modern Top Tier gasolines are blended to reduce it, but I still saw carbon buildup, generally related to type of oil used. When I'd get a car in with a high oil consumption complaint, I'd look at all the issues like leaking gaskets, blocked PCV valves creating excess crankcase pressure in the crankcase and so on, and when no other faults showed up, I'd start looking at carbon buildup. It's surprising how quickly carbon can build up in the piston rings with some oils. I've had really good luck with cleaning the carbon out, including piston rings, buy doing a cleaning with Berryman or CRC Intake Valve/Combustion Chamber cleaner and then changing to a high-quality synthetic oil.

Without knowing the details on existing issues, like leaks, the oil being used and past de-carboning of the engine, I can't say what the problem is here but, on my car, I'd look at where the oil is going. If it's not leaking, I'd pull the plugs and look for evidence of oil burning, especially evidence of it more on one plug than the rest, which could be something as simple as a split valve stem seal. If all is good, I'd suspect carbon so if it hadn't already been done, I'd de-carbon.

Especially with the GDi engine (for those of us with the earlier Souls) it should be done every so often (every 30K was what I remember off-hand) so if it hasn't been done, you're not wasting money. The carbon buildup on pistons and in piston ring grooves isn't isolated to the GDi though, so doing a de-carboning is worth considering on any engine. Normally the de-carboning compound is injected into the throttle housing while the engine is idling, then the engine is shut off so the compound can soften the carbon buildup so it can be removed by a good run after a 30-45 minute soak. Doing it at idle tends to allow the compound to go past the compression rings down to the oil control ring, which is what tends to carbon up and then allow oil to enter the combustion chamber, burn, and add to the carbon buildup issue. Then I'd give it a good run (we did a 30-mile run with freeway and hills) and then bring it back and change the oil and filter.

Full synthetic designed for newer engines would be the best option since they're blended to not only reduce carbon deposits but they clean carbon and keep the contaminants in suspension so the oil filter can capture it, plus help to better drain the contaminants during an oil change. Synthetic oil doesn't coke into carbon like regular oil does (which is why turbine engine oils are synthetic). If you haven't had the carbon removed from your engine and you don't have leaks, I'd do the carbon cleaning followed by an oil change within 100 miles, then make sure you're using a good synthetic oil and Top Tier gasoline (most brand name gasolines are Top Tier). Even with Top Tier fuel I occasionally run a fuel additive to clean injectors. My personal choice on cleaners are the Berryman kit (part #2611) to clean the intake and Red Line Complete Fuel System Cleaner to do injectors and the rest of the fuel system. That's not to say the others aren't as good, just that those are the ones I'm most familiar with and trust to do the job. I generally use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum because it's excellent and it's easiest to find when I'm away from home on a trip. I actually like Castrol Edge Titanium a bit more but have had trouble finding it out on the road, so go with the easiest to find, especially since they're both excellent.

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX, IVT
96 Posts
Thank God and KIA, we who drive the Gen-3 Soul, do NOT have to worry about that boondoggle called the GDI engine.
However, KIA's suggestion to use the fuel System Cleaner, Techron, is not strictly limited to the GDI engine.
Since I bought my second 2020 Soul (my first one was totaled), which was USED, I've put two bottles of Techron in my gas tank. I kind of doubt that the original owner ever did that. (the car was a Garage Queen and never driven on rainy days)
(The engine was spotless!) The car RAN, but was a little bit "bashful". Didn't really want to get out and GO!

With every bottle of (Black Label) Techron, my little girl has gained a little bit of pep to her step. I can actually FEEL it working. Both performance and MPG has increased markedly. I won't post the 'Zero to 60' , but it's impressive.
No, it not as good as a Tesla!

I'm an aggressive driver, and I don't let my car sit around and get carboned up.
If my engine doesn't hit the REV Limiter once a day, it's because that's the day she just stayed at home. lol

My 2013 Soul did start using oil, at somewhere over 50k miles. I put in a new PCV valve, and that solved that problem.

Happy Trails, Mates,
Andromeda

·
Registered
2020 Soul GT 2.0 MPI
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have never heard of any stories of warranty denial that wasn't warranted by negligent foolish consumers. So, stories are bullshit until proven otherwise. And, if your engine is sludged or out of oil, the owners deserve the denial. You can service your vehicle anywhere you want with whatever oil/filter brands you want. Just be smart enough to keep your receipts or pictures of them, and a logbook of your maintenance.

So, if you want to list your oil history of maintenance for 21k miles, the grade/type of oil listed on the receipt, and your driving style, I can make a recommendation for you. Otherwise, continue with whatever you're doing and join the rest of the complainers with consumption, noises, performance degradation..... in the future. Its either prevention or not.

For example... my vehicle with 6 month intervals...
600 miles break-in oil change about a month after purchase
4800 miles
8700 miles

Only thing that the dealer did was replaced the warped rotors at 1200 miles for free. Car was too new for me to bother with a rotor swap this early. I have a few other nuisances that will be dealt by the dealer and warranty this year.

Oil used is full synthetic 5w30 and not the oil cap's 5w20 conventional. And specifically, a euro higher HTHS oil to make up for known fuel diluting oil issues that the wife's commute creates. Consumption is non existent and oil level is checked weekly after about 175miles of driving a week. The requirements in the owners manual, when compared to kiatechinfo.com, are contradictory. So, nothing concerning grade/spec is worth worrying about.
I have heard about Kia/ Hyundai denying warranty because of not using their oil filters. No big deal, I will use them faithfully. If true or not, I do not know. I am not taking the chance with an engine with multiple recalls.
I will using full synthetic 5w20 as it states on the oil cap changing it at 5K
The car is absolutely babied by my wife and if I drive it, by me.
I keep a spread sheet of everything done and a binder full of receipts. I had bought a Wix filter for it when we first got it and never used it. I am able to use it on a Tuscon I picked up, they apparently use the same filter, it is a 2010.
I hope the engine holds up, I check the oil ever week, it is not driven many miles, so it takes weeks for it to show a loss.
It runs and drives fine...Only time will tell.

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX, IVT
96 Posts
I'm sorry, but that's advice from someone who does not even drive a Soul, or the 2.OL engine.
Just for Information's sake: The KIA Soul is a one of a kind car, from it's unique shape to it's Atkinson Cycle engine.
The Owners Manual is a good source for suggestions, but it's lacking on Absolutes.
I read it, analyze it and then see how it applies to my car, and the way I drive it. Sometimes,
they get it right, and sometimes NOT.
Remember, the OM was written in S. Korea, by S. Koreans, who I'm pretty sure drive their cars differently than I do. They built a great little engine, with way more potential performance than most American drivers will ever see. It's the closest thing to a RACE CAR engine of any that I've ever owned.
I applaud their good intentions, which are edited, I'm sure, by their Legal Dept. There's a lot of CYA in that manual. Reading it is like sorting out the wheat from the chaff.

For instance, they go to great lengths, to state what Severe Usage is, but fall miserably short of spelling out what Normal Usage is.
See?
Rectangle Font Number Paper product Paper

I'm pretty sure that I fall into at least five of those parameters. (B, C, E, F, J and K) I really like "J". Just for fun!

But the bottom line is, that every one of us, has to make up his or her own mind as to how we're going to drive and maintain our cars. The junk yards will be full of the cars where the owner got it wrong.

Cheers Mates!

·
Registered
358 Posts
wild willy
The Kia manufacturer got burned for not allowing non-OEM oil filters that complied with OEM specs and in some cases, exceeding the specs. The Magnuson-Moss Act prevented Hyunkia from denying warranty claims, based on using a non-OEM oil filter.
Beginning around 2015-2016, Hyunkia purchasers could use the oil filter of their choice, as long as it met OEM specs.... which pretty-much all do.

As far as synthetic oil viscosity, 5w30, 10w30, 0w40 and 5w30 are all recommended by this user me:)

Use the SP / GF6A / Dexos1 approvals whenever possible. Tougher to find the SP-Approval with 0/5w40 oils. Pennzoil Platinum is one. Valvoline XL-III is another. Try Google Search for more.

The new SP-oils hold carbon in suspension the best. The oil filters that contains carbon the best are cellulose. Surprising.... is't it?

Reactions: wild willy

·
Administrator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,453 Posts
wild willy
The Kia manufacturer got burned for not allowing non-OEM oil filters that complied with OEM specs and in some cases, exceeding the specs. The Magnuson-Moss Act prevented Hyunkia from denying warranty claims, based on using a non-OEM oil filter.
Beginning around 2015-2016, Hyunkia purchasers could use the oil filter of their choice, as long as it met OEM specs.... which pretty-much all do.

As far as synthetic oil viscosity, 5w30, 10w30, 0w40 and 5w30 are all recommended by this user me:)

Use the SP / GF6A / Dexos1 approvals whenever possible. Tougher to find the SP-Approval with 0/5w40 oils. Pennzoil Platinum is one. Try Google Search for more.
Actually, there has never been an issue using third party oil filters, and the issue that you're confusing this with is a limited number of models it was found that some third party filters did not meet the spec with regards the relief and/or the anti-runback valve, and advised owners that it was safer to use OEM for these models.

Reactions: Lou O.

·
Registered
2020 Soul GT 2.0 MPI
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wild willy

Use the SP / GF6A / Dexos1 approvals whenever possible. Tougher to find the SP-Approval with 0/5w40 oils. Pennzoil Platinum is one. Valvoline XL-III is another. Try Google Search for more.

The new SP-oils hold carbon in suspension the best.
Good Info. I may just stick with the OEMs. As far as Oil..I have been topping with Pennzoil Platinum from my 5 Qt Jug. have another full one for the 1st Change that I do personally.

·
Registered
358 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Soul GT-Line
13 Posts
Thank God and KIA, we who drive the Gen-3 Soul, do NOT have to worry about that boondoggle called the GDI engine.
However, KIA's suggestion to use the fuel System Cleaner, Techron, is not strictly limited to the GDI engine.
Since I bought my second 2020 Soul (my first one was totaled), which was USED, I've put two bottles of Techron in my gas tank. I kind of doubt that the original owner ever did that. (the car was a Garage Queen and never driven on rainy days)
(The engine was spotless!) The car RAN, but was a little bit "bashful". Didn't really want to get out and GO!

With every bottle of (Black Label) Techron, my little girl has gained a little bit of pep to her step. I can actually FEEL it working. Both performance and MPG has increased markedly. I won't post the 'Zero to 60' , but it's impressive.
No, it not as good as a Tesla!

I'm an aggressive driver, and I don't let my car sit around and get carboned up.
If my engine doesn't hit the REV Limiter once a day, it's because that's the day she just stayed at home. lol

My 2013 Soul did start using oil, at somewhere over 50k miles. I put in a new PCV valve, and that solved that problem.

Happy Trails, Mates,
Andromeda
it is you ...the flaman/flamster ...how did you sneek in...oh this is a different forum...sorryyou messed with now....think your better then everyone....but I think it's just your personality and all is forgiven...sounds like your being nice///so kudos to you...cheer mate

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
1,008 Posts
@wild willy:
what engine does your Soul have? GDI, T-GDI, MPI?
I'd suggest xW-40 oil for T-GDI engine and 5w-30 or 10w-30 for GDI or MPI.
Please note some oils will cause some oil burn, I experienced oil burning with SuperTech and Kirkland and stopped using them and went back to Shell oils - Pennzoil Platinum, Quaker State and Rotella.

·
Registered
2020 Soul GT 2.0 MPI
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@wild willy:
what engine does your Soul have? GDI, T-GDI, MPI?
I'd suggest xW-40 oil for T-GDI engine and 5w-30 or 10w-30 for GDI or MPI.
Please note some oils will cause some oil burn, I experienced oil burning with SuperTech and Kirkland and stopped using them and went back to Shell oils - Pennzoil Platinum, Quaker State and Rotella.
It is a 2020 GT 2.0
Next change is is Pennzoil Platinum.
10w30 is awfully thick for these modern engines.
That's what is used in my 91 Mr2

Attachments

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
No, 10w-30 isn't 'awfully thick for these modern engines', it's a very common misconception thou.

·
Registered
2020 Soul GT 2.0 MPI
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, 10w-30 isn't 'awfully thick for these modern engines', it's a very common misconception thou.
It's pretty damn cold in NW PA in the fall, winter and spring......that little motor might not turn over with 10w30 at 10 below 😋

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
You can most def use thinner oil in the winter if concerned with no start. Most 10w-30 oils are rated to at least -20F and usually -30F or lower.

·
Registered
358 Posts
willy
Pennzoil Euro, Valvoline EP and Castrol EP are what I use. I have not been pleased with the thin viscosity of Pennzoil Platinum. It remains thin because of the GTL base oil used. Pennzoil does not use GTL with their SP Euro oils.

Edit --- I see Pennzoil Ultra Platinum will be coming in SP-certs. That one I will try, once I have been given assurance by Walmart.com that they will NOT ship me the Ultra in SN Plus-cert. The Ultra Platinum has a stronger additives package - that makes up for the thin-side GTL base oil. I only find this oil at a good price, at Walmart.com around here.

I just went thru this nonsense with Amazon.com who shipped me Valvoline XL-III Euro in SN Plus instead of SP, which SP was pictured on the webpage where I bought the oil at Amazon.com. So I returned the entire 3-pk of five quart jugs.

·
Registered
2020 Soul GT 2.0 MPI
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Added more Oil today. In the last 3oo miles, I have added 5 Oz of oil. Like driving my dads Grand Torino Wagon...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts