Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my 2020 Sorento SX a week ago and found out my cousin picked up a 2020 Telluride SX around the same time. Well I happened to be driving behind her and noticed any time she hit the brakes, the regular brake lights would come on, but the high mount would flash 3 times then stay on. Does the Sorento do the same thing? It's not something I can easily check myself.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,140 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
567 Posts
Good question and one to which I do not know the answer. I hope it does, it's been proven that the high mounted stop light is even more visible when it flashes like that. I know there are aftermarket modules that can make it flash at a speed relative to your braking force.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage EX
186 Posts
Flashing brake lights are illegal per US automotive lighting standards.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,140 Posts
I've heard its only legislated in a few states.

Do you have a link to that?

I expect we'll see a change soon considering many new vehicles are shipping with that feature.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento LX 3.3L V6 AWD
16 Posts
A number of cars in the US cone from the factory with flashing high mount third brake lights. I added a module from Amazon (around $15) to my Jeep Patriot and drove the car with it for over 2 years without issue. Simple install. The module has red and black wires coming out of each end. You cut the red and black wires going to the third brake light and splice the module between them. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage EX
186 Posts
Flashing brake lights are prohibited by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 108 (Title 49 CFR 571.108). Table Ia in the Standard requires that brake lights be "steady burning." BMW brought a few motorcycles into the US that had flashing brake lights (allowed in Europe) and had to issue a recall to reprogram them.

Some states (California comes to mind) allow flashing brake lights in their motor vehicle codes, but this violates federal preemption (Title 49 USC 30103b), which states "When a motor vehicle safety standard is in effect under this chapter, a State or a political subdivision of a State may prescribe or continue in effect a standard applicable to the same aspect of performance of a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment only if the standard is identical to the standard prescribed under this chapter." [My underlining]

The standard applies to manufacturers, dealers, repair shops, and aftermarket companies (basically businesses). Penalties can by as much as $5,000 for each violation (each non-complying vehicle or part sold or installed). Unlike some European standards, FMVSS 108 does not apply to individuals. That's left up to the states, which do a piss poor job.

·
Super Moderator
11,140 Posts
Some states permit the owner to install the flashing light device.

However, Federal law does not prohibit the owner of the car from installing the sensor. In this circumstance, the law of the State in which the vehicle is operated must be consulted to determine whether a flashing third brake light is permissible. We are not able to answer questions about State laws. If you wish an opinion on State laws governing flashing third brake lights, you should write the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators, 4600 Wilson Boulevard, Arlington, Va. 22203.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage EX
186 Posts
That opinion was written in 1995 and is correct is some regards. Specifically, the federal standard does not apply to individuals, and individual compliance is left to the states, as I stated previously. However, federal preemption requires the states to follow the federal standard, to the letter. Here in New York the state legislature was forced to amend the motorcycle helmet law because New York initally specified requirements not in the federal standard. The author of the opinion you cited may have been familiar with the federal standards, but was apparently unfamiliar with the federal preemption requirements. Without that preemption, each state could mandate completely contradictory motor vehicle requirements to the point where cars sold in one state couldn't even be driven in another.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
567 Posts
Is it possible the high mounted stop lamp is exempt as long as there are two outboard brake lights that do not flash?

·
Registered
2018 Sorento LX 2.4 FWD; 2009 Borrego LX V6 RWD
175 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I get less urgency to brake when I see a flickering brake light in front of me as opposed to a solidly lit one.

·
Super Moderator
11,140 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I get less urgency to brake when I see a flickering brake light in front of me as opposed to a solidly lit one.
It seems to catch the attention of the texting drivers a little better than the steady on brake lights, in addition to the other two brake lights that steady on from the time the brakes are applied .

Reactions: Lou O.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It seems to catch the attention of the texting drivers a little better than the steady on brake lights, in addition to the other two brake lights that steady on from the time the brakes are applied .
When I saw it, it certainly caught my attention. I need to check with my cousin if it's a dealer add-on or how it got there.

·
Super Moderator
11,140 Posts
When I saw it, it certainly caught my attention. I need to check with my cousin if it's a dealer add-on or how it got there.
A work colleague bought a new Ford F150 about six months ago and its 3rd brake light flashes.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage EX
2 Posts
No, a momentary flashing 3rd brake light is perfectly legal in the US. It's a momentary attention grabber that's becoming increasingly popular. Several dealers are offering the option for 75.00. Again, it's for the 3rd brake light and it's momentary. Very legal. Kits are also available for DIY

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX AWD V6
47 Posts
No, a momentary flashing 3rd brake light is perfectly legal in the US. It's a momentary attention grabber that's becoming increasingly popular. Several dealers are offering the option for 75.00. Again, it's for the 3rd brake light and it's momentary. Very legal. Kits are also available for DIY
Some Dealers want $200 for it, the device they use is $5 (cheaper in bulk) from SDS (Same guys who put the crappy car alarms and other junk dealers like to force on people). Some cars also allow you to program it via ODB (VW, Audi, etc). Personally I find them annoying as I think someone is pumping the brakes.

Here's a module for $5.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage EX
2 Posts
Some Dealers want $200 for it, the device they use is $5 (cheaper in bulk) from SDS (Same guys who put the crappy car alarms and other junk dealers like to force on people). Some cars also allow you to program it via ODB (VW, Audi, etc). Personally I find them annoying as I think someone is pumping the brakes.

Here's a module for $5.

Agreed, they are annoying especially because you tend to see that first before the brake lights on the tail.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Sedona (2 of them)
41 Posts
"I think that’s the point."

Exactly.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts