Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXL
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Notice the factory fill and after 2 oil changes the oil level is only half way on the dip stick. Anyone notice this?

Wondering if there is a spec issue or problem with my stick. The level never changes so I haven’t bothers to add any, plus I don’t know if filling to the full mark will cause it to be overfilled.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX
111 Posts
I discovered that the level will appear to be slightly low if the dipstick is just pulled out and level is observed. Apparently after operation, the tightly sealed top of the dipstick will not let oil back in bottom of the tube. So, always "double dip" when checking the V-6 oil level. That said, it only results in a slightly lower than actual level. I can't think of any reason a "wrong" dipstick would be your engine. It sounds as though the person changing the oil is not allowing for the amount the filter takes or just doing what steve807 said. I would go someplace else to have it changed next time and see what happens. I always have mine done at the dealer. After getting home I double check it and it is always right on the proper mark. Nothing wrong with checking it as mentioned above and adding required amount. One thing, be sure to use exactly the same type, weight and brand oil as was put in at the change.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXL
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick response and suggestions. Both changes have been done at a Kia dealer. As far as checking levels I’ve always been one to check it after 15min or sitting overnight. On first pull the level is way down at the bottom, second or more pulls show the level halfway.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,407 Posts
Are you certain the surface is level where you're checking the oil? Take a look at the amount of oil listed on the Kia paperwork, and also check your owner's manual to see what the spec amount of oil is for an oil change including filter replacement.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
552 Posts
Take your measurement in the morning after the car has sat overnight. If it's only 1/2 full then, add 1/2 a quart. If it's 3/4 full, I would just leave it where it is. Don't go over the full mark. Better to be slightly under than over.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,324 Posts
Yeah, but what kind of nitwit doesn't check the stick itself after an oil change? That kind of error should be discovered before the hood slams.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXL
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. I’ve checked it in 3 different garages and I’d say they are all level. I’ve got worried the first time I checked after a thousand miles or so and notice it half way. Thought it was eating oil lol.

Just find it odd that it was half full from factory too.

Checked the paperwork too. Both times only show 5w30 oil kit 11.50/unit, but nothing about how many quarts.

Sounds like it’s just mine if no one else has noticed it. Going to have a different dealer change it next when we are back at the beach. Will update everyone then if it’s the same after.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
552 Posts
Thanks everyone. I’ve checked it in 3 different garages and I’d say they are all level. I’ve got worried the first time I checked after a thousand miles or so and notice it half way. Thought it was eating oil lol.

Just find it odd that it was half full from factory too.

Checked the paperwork too. Both times only show 5w30 oil kit 11.50/unit, but nothing about how many quarts.

Sounds like it’s just mine if no one else has noticed it. Going to have a different dealer change it next when we are back at the beach. Will update everyone then if it’s the same after.
If I drove to the garage, my level would be just above halfway. Not an accurate measurement unless the car has been cold for a good 4 hours.

·
Registered
2018 Rio LX
9 Posts
i have a different kia model, but i noticed the same thing happening.

i checked the oil the day i bought the car (brand new, 18 rio), it was 1/2qt under full on the stick. i checked the oil 6 more times before the first service, the oil level never changed. After i had the oil changed at the dealer, once again, it was 1/2qt below full.

when i change the oil myself, the manual says 3.6qts with filter change. i add 3.6qts, and it shows full (like it should, lol).

why is kia shorting me on oil? lol

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX 3.3
68 Posts
The oil on my one week old 2019 SX is exactly at the top mark on the dipstick.
When I picked it up, I asked the salesman if the oil had been checked and topped up and he told me that they put the oil in at the factory and that's it.

If that is true, the oil is about a year old, as the build date is April 2018.
Does the oil deteriorate at all, sitting in the engine? Plan to change it at 1000 km or in three months.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,324 Posts
The oxidation inhibitors they put into the oil packages these days isn't going to allow your April oil to degrade due to a small amount of contact with surrounding air. You'll be more than good until you get around to the first change.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts