Kia Forum banner

141 - 160 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,640 Posts
Sweet that they got some kind of response in the way of 'codes', even if those data points are confusing back at Kia. May have been they were able to haul a GDS system along for the ride which provides as much info to a Kia tech as they could possibly have about performance. Interesting that your 'power control module' is coming direct from engineering. That could mean either a) some new beta code to see if it resolves the issue, or b) some logging software that they're hoping will catch a specific condition that just 'codes' won't pin down.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,640 Posts
BTW -- what the heck IS a "Power Control Module"? Guessing that it is a Powertrain Control Module? Slightly different name than we're used to seeing for that from Kia.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento, 3.3 8 spd auto
8 Posts
Could be...written by an accountant based on memory of phone calls. So I was concerned it may be premature to post and knew I would lack the precision wanted by some. In summary I guess you should consider this information worth what you paid for it.
Bob

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,640 Posts
Will be fascinated to see if it actually improves anything. Like I say, given the source, you may have some beta code that, if satisfactory, could turn into something that could be released to solve the problem for a lot of folks. Guessing perhaps you're not the only one to have received this.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6 AWD
140 Posts
Just an update on my car status..............As stated earlier I will update the forum when I have more information
By all means please give us an update when you get more info. Like myself I'm sure there are quite a number of others here who'd be interested in the outcome because our vehicles suffer the same type malady to some greater or lesser degree. Mine's not nearly so bad some others I read about, and for that I'm grateful, but it is still annoying to think how much we've all paid for these things and that in this day and supposedly technologically advanced age they have to go to that extent to figure what appears to be a fuel starvation issue.
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX - 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
955 Posts
I just purchased the 2019 EX Sorento and hesitation upon acceleration.....dealership said this normal.....I would have never purchased this had I known I would have to deal with this...I am so disappointed . My first new car in 13 years.

Now this might be only a coincidence, but...

My 2019 V6 Sorento (with the new 8 speed tranny) also suffered from this hesitation when new.

However, after I changed the transmission fluid in it (using the drain & fill method x2) this hesitation appeared to be completely (or almost completely) gone - even in ECO mode.

Richard

Reactions: Jacob King

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just purchased the 2019 EX Sorento and hesitation upon acceleration.....dealership said this normal.....I would have never purchased this had I known I would have to deal with this...I am so disappointed . My first new car in 13 years.
I’ve had the best results running ethanol free premium gasoline. More expensive for sure, but worth it in my book. I’ve complained to Kia customer service, 800-333-4542, got a call number logged, and had the dealer flash the transmission logic as well. I also logged a complaint with the NHTSA. I’ll throw some regular unleaded in before my next service just to see if the hesitation returns, I’m pretty sure it will, then have the dealer check once again. After that, if they’re unable to duplicate (most likely the case) Kia will convert my call # to a complaint. Then I’ll go back to running the ethanol free. I was super frustrated, too, prior to finding that work around. I know it shouldn’t be necessary, but I’m still amazed at how punchy the thing is and how seamlessly the tranny works when the engine is happy in its work. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dealership installed the Power Control Module provided by Kia Engineering and removed the stutter/hesitation I was experiencing (call me Mr. Happy Feet). For those in need of exact terminology the service ticket says "techline stated problem caused by faulty PCM and engineers sent NRE PCM" which was installed in my vehicle. Ask me no more tech questions or definitions...all I know is my Sorento works!!!
I cannot lavish enough praise on the dealership service department that got this issue resolved. As stated in my prior post it took a leap of faith for them to expend the effort ($$$$) to confirm and resolve my problem. G Meyer since you had a similar symptoms, and are in the same area, I suggest you contact Arapahoe KIA ( service mgr Kerry, service write up Todd, tech Sean) they as a team got me thru this issue. Also, they have a scanner recorder that plugs into the scanner port and a trigger mechanism that plugs into the accessory power port (old cigarette lighter type port). I used this on my last trip to mountains and was told to push a button on the trigger port if I had any stuttering or hesitation and it would save data from the last 15 minutes. This is apparently how they initially identified the codes sent to KIA engineering. Good luck.
Dbelling... just a comment. I don't know if all Sorentos experience the stutter/hesitation, but it is a common problem that IMHO appears to be a manufacture's problem (KIA) not a dealership problem. I had no codes or warning lights show on my car...so so what is the dealer's service department expected to do??? However that said...as my experience demonstrates the problem can be resolved if the dealership has a service attitude and cares enough to pursue the problem. If not you should consult an attorney on lemon laws in your state. Many require that the issue be repaired within 4 visits and vehicle not disabled for more than 30 days (new car). Given these circumstances I am surprised that some enterprising law firm has not already filed a class action law suit. I am not a lawyer, so do not accept this as legal advice, please consult an attorney in your state. However, your dealer's flippant comment they all do it indicates your problem is not limited to only the manufacturer.
Hopefully this resolution may help others, but I am not an auto tech...so ????
Bob

·
Registered
'19 Sorento S V6 AWD in Snow White, 2021 Seltos SX turbo AWD
303 Posts
Glad they got you fixed up, Bob.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,640 Posts
Arapahoe? Sounds like you're in S. Denver.
That's VERY interesting news. Would love to know what the acronym "NRE " is in "NRE PCM". If it's not TOO much trouble, can the service dept down there identify what that meant? Dollars to donuts it's "non-recurring engineering". That would fit perfectly if you received a unit with either beta hardware, or more likely, beta firmware. Your results could spell the end to a lot of grief for a lot of owners down the road. You can bet that this thread is going to spur others to start badgering their dealers about it.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SXL
158 Posts
Dealership installed the Power Control Module provided by Kia Engineering and removed the stutter/hesitation I was experiencing (call me Mr. Happy Feet). For those in need of exact terminology the service ticket says "techline stated problem caused by faulty PCM and engineers sent NRE PCM" which was installed in my vehicle. Ask me no more tech questions or definitions...all I know is my Sorento works!!!
I cannot lavish enough praise on the dealership service department that got this issue resolved. As stated in my prior post it took a leap of faith for them to expend the effort ($$$$) to confirm and resolve my problem. G Meyer since you had a similar symptoms, and are in the same area, I suggest you contact Arapahoe KIA ( service mgr Kerry, service write up Todd, tech Sean) they as a team got me thru this issue. Also, they have a scanner recorder that plugs into the scanner port and a trigger mechanism that plugs into the accessory power port (old cigarette lighter type port). I used this on my last trip to mountains and was told to push a button on the trigger port if I had any stuttering or hesitation and it would save data from the last 15 minutes. This is apparently how they initially identified the codes sent to KIA engineering. Good luck.
Dbelling... just a comment. I don't know if all Sorentos experience the stutter/hesitation, but it is a common problem that IMHO appears to be a manufacture's problem (KIA) not a dealership problem. I had no codes or warning lights show on my car...so so what is the dealer's service department expected to do??? However that said...as my experience demonstrates the problem can be resolved if the dealership has a service attitude and cares enough to pursue the problem. If not you should consult an attorney on lemon laws in your state. Many require that the issue be repaired within 4 visits and vehicle not disabled for more than 30 days (new car). Given these circumstances I am surprised that some enterprising law firm has not already filed a class action law suit. I am not a lawyer, so do not accept this as legal advice, please consult an attorney in your state. However, your dealer's flippant comment they all do it indicates your problem is not limited to only the manufacturer.
Hopefully this resolution may help others, but I am not an auto tech...so ????
Bob
would you mind uploading a picture of the service record they gave you at the end? would be super helpful.

·
Registered
2019 Sorrento LX
4 Posts
Bob,
I have the exact same problem. We live in Dillon and my 2019 Sorrento SXL has stumbled and hesitated most noticeably at slow speeds around 18 to 24 mph since we purchased new in October 2018. It only does it in the mountains at 9200 feet. It does not do it in Denver at 5200 feet which is where the Kia dealer is. I have filed a consumer complaint with Kia and asked for a tech to come drive at my house in mountains. They have refused. Other than this problem we enjoy the car. I did buy an extended warranty so I think I am stil covered.

I am tAking in for oil change and will complain once again.
Colorado
Sorrento SXL 2019
Hey - just got back from Silverthorne and Breck this weekend with exactly same car - off rental 2019, Same issues in slow traffic on i-70 and on drive to mtns. Will take it to dealer - I've noticed stutter in Denver as well as mtns.

·
Registered
2019 Sorrento LX
4 Posts
Just an update on my car status. I took my car into the KIA dealer on Jan 6 for the fourth time (had car less than 3 months) for the same issue (stuttering/cutout/). Much to the credit of dealership a couple of days later they hooked up some kind of code reader and drove it the 100 miles+ up to Dillon (mountains). The service adviser informed me that the car stuttered/cutout just like I said it would. He said the tech described it as almost like the car was running out of fuel and they had a bunch of simultaneous codes they did not understand(???). However, still no lights/warning on the dash. He advised me they were sending the codes/data to KIA and needed additional time to repair the car. Been several calls in the interim( 11 days) advising me that they needed more time to get a repair from KIA. Basically my understanding is KIA wanted more data but dealership did not know what else they could provide Last call (Wednesday) advised me that KIA recommended they change the power control module. However, the module was coming directly from KIA engineering and not thru the normal inventory system (I know what I know and no more) and he did not have a precise estimate of when the part would arrive. I will update the forum when I have more information. Hopefully this can lead to a problem resolution for at least G Meyer and myself ....and maybe more????
My general impression at this point is my dealership service has been extraordinarily outstanding! How many dealers would hook up some kind of code reader than pay a tech to drive a vehicle about a 100 miles (one way) to see if they could duplicate a problem just because a customer complained the car was stuttering/cutting out when the vehicle showed no codes and ran reasonably well in local conditions??? Yeah...I was probably not the only complaint...but impressive none the less. They also provided an Uber lift home (estimate 15 miles) when I dropped off the car, and last call offered to provide a rental car (I declined at this point). KIA as a manufacturer...well not as impressive. I think my vehicle was initially placed in service (fleet/rental???) in mid 2018 and G Meyer had reported the issue over a year ago on this forum. A manufacturer waiting a year and a half to go Oh Gee I may have a problem is not impressive to me. As stated earlier I will update the forum when I have more information
Hi, What dealer and what was name of service advisor that helped you ? It may be a good idea to go back to the same person for me - I'm in Lakewood and experienced same problems with my 2019 3.3 v6 sorrento LX.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,640 Posts
I hope everyone understands that Bob was a 'guinea pig' in all of this, and that everyone can't expect a beta unit from Kia Engineering to resolve their problems. However, if Bob continues to have good experience with his (and I hope he reports back regularly), then the rest of you CAN tell your dealers that the solution is a modification to the ECU (aka PCM) that evidently is not yet in public distribution. Realize, though, that while your dealer can then request that Kia make this important modification available sooner to their customers, there's nothing your dealer can do to solve your problem directly.

What we can HOPE is that the change is strictly one of firmware that can be reflashed in the shop on existing units. If it's a hardware change of any kind, however unlikely that seems to me, the issue is going to be a far more serious financial one for Kia, and represents a MUCH bigger logistics issue when it comes to getting the solution to the field.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,640 Posts
Hi, What dealer and what was name of service advisor that helped you ? It may be a good idea to go back to the same person for me - I'm in Lakewood and experienced same problems with my 2019 3.3 v6 sorrento LX.
He said Arapahoe.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6 AWD
140 Posts
I’ve had the best results running ethanol free premium gasoline. More expensive for sure, but worth it in my book. I’ve complained to Kia customer service, 800-333-4542, got a call number logged, and had the dealer flash the transmission logic as well. I also logged a complaint with the NHTSA. I’ll throw some regular unleaded in before my next service just to see if the hesitation returns, I’m pretty sure it will, then have the dealer check once again. After that, if they’re unable to duplicate (most likely the case) Kia will convert my call # to a complaint. Then I’ll go back to running the ethanol free. I was super frustrated, too, prior to finding that work around. I know it shouldn’t be necessary, but I’m still amazed at how punchy the thing is and how seamlessly the tranny works when the engine is happy in its work. Good luck!
Tigoat, thanks for sharing your experience and I'm glad to see that ethanol free gas showed some positive results on your car. But, just FYI and for anyone following this train of thought, here's the other side, my results were not so dramatic! I just finished a three month trial of running only ethanol free premium gas before switching back to ethanol infused 87 octane. I wish I could report as notable improvement as you saw but, not so much. While there may have been some slight improvement I don't feel at this point, after a couple tanks of ethanol/87 octane, that it was great enough to justify the $.80 to $1+ premium I had to pay here to get ethanol free, not to mention the PIA of finding a gas station that even sold it. To be honest, I've never felt that the stumble/hesitation symptoms in my Sorento was really all that bad, just mainly annoying because none of us should be having to go through this BS for a resolution on a new car!

However, there might be one positive note I think I can report, maybe slightly better gas mileage. It's my understanding, and I think someone wrote about some time back, that engines do or should get slightly better mileage on ethanol free gas but I don't know whys/numbers. I'm still looking back over the records but it appears that the average weekly mileage might have increased about 1 to 1.5 miles per gallon on ethanol free gas. But again, even if that's true, to me it wouldn't justify the $.80 - $1 I'd have to pay to get it!

Clearly a lot of this is all very subjective, i.e., subject to how our particular vehicles run in general, our locations, driving styles & conditions, types, brands, grades & quality gas we can get. So this is just my take on it. Just FYI.
Good luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Tigoat, thanks for sharing your experience and I'm glad to see that ethanol free gas showed some positive results on your car. But, just FYI and for anyone following this train of thought, here's the other side, my results were not so dramatic! I just finished a three month trial of running only ethanol free premium gas before switching back to ethanol infused 87 octane. I wish I could report as notable improvement as you saw but, not so much. While there may have been some slight improvement I don't feel at this point, after a couple tanks of ethanol/87 octane, that it was great enough to justify the $.80 to $1+ premium I had to pay here to get ethanol free, not to mention the PIA of finding a gas station that even sold it. To be honest, I've never felt that the stumble/hesitation symptoms in my Sorento was really all that bad, just mainly annoying because none of us should be having to go through this BS for a resolution on a new car!

However, there might be one positive note I think I can report, maybe slightly better gas mileage. It's my understanding, and I think someone wrote about some time back, that engines do or should get slightly better mileage on ethanol free gas but I don't know whys/numbers. I'm still looking back over the records but it appears that the average weekly mileage might have increased about 1 to 1.5 miles per gallon on ethanol free gas. But again, even if that's true, to me it wouldn't justify the $.80 - $1 I'd have to pay to get it!

Clearly a lot of this is all very subjective, i.e., subject to how our particular vehicles run in general, our locations, driving styles & conditions, types, brands, grades & quality gas we can get. So this is just my take on it. Just FYI.
Good luck!
I’m sorry, I guess, that your results with ethanol free weren’t as profound as mine. I’ll continue to advocate its use, as I have all along, if for nothing other than a diagnostic tool.

I feel that my particular vehicle’s issue is an ethanol intolerance. Not knowing if/when Kia will resolve the problem, and it is total BS to have to do this with a new car, I’d hate to possibly contribute to any potential subsequent damage, especially if it was to occur outside the warranty period.

As for the expense? Again, from a personal perspective, the performance gains (as well as the reality that I’m still realizing a savings compared to my previous vehicle) it’s not a big deal. Good luck to you, too.

·
Registered
2019 Sorrento LX
4 Posts
Just stopped by Peak Kia in Littleton, CO. Had the exact stumbling on a 2019 LX at high altitude stop and go traffic. Only in colorado do we have a million cars on the road at 9000 feet. Service reps knew what I was talking about, had an engineer at Kia that would produce the new PCM and get it installed when it arrives. Techs said it took a while for KIA to figure out the issue but that (for us at least) it's a high altitude/barometer related issue and there's now an established way to resolve the issue and no complaints have come up from the 10 or so sorrento's they've fixed in the last month.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hopefully this will be my final post on this issue. It appears my car may have been the first to receive the upgraded PCM and I have not experienced any additional stuttering problems at high altitudes. Just finished a 3500 mile trip to Tacoma and Whistler CAN to visit and ski with my son and grandchildren. The car performed flawlessly.
I just wanted to update the form on this issue and again express my appreciation to Arapahoe Kia for pursuing a resolution to this issue.
Bob

·
Registered
2019 Sorrento LX
4 Posts
Update: It's possible my 2019 SOrrento LX was the 2nd to receive the replacement PCM - serious problems at 8000-10000 feet and slow speed. No problems at same highway and similar speeds after replacement arrived. Dealer seems to be much more aware of this now so anyone else who drives a 2019 Sorrento
at high elevations should ask their dealer for this fix.

141 - 160 of 192 Posts