Kia Forum banner

121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
451 Posts
You should use TIER ONE or otherwise known as TOP TIER GAS!!! Only a few Canadian brand are.
Shell
Petro Canada
Mobile & Esso (same company)

If you weren't using them the majority of the time it could be the reason for the problems.

Thats and FYI

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX
42 Posts
That’s pretty awful, regardless! What were you towing? Sorry, I’ll average 26 mpg minimum, under similar conditions. Did you notice any improvement in drivability?
Towed nothing..it's the worse gas mileage I've ever had on road trip. Mostly around 27-28mpg doing 80. Maybe the headwind was just that bad...unsure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Towed nothing..it's the worse gas mileage I've ever had on road trip. Mostly around 27-28mpg doing 80. Maybe the headwind was just that bad...unsure.
That’s exactly where I am mileage wise. I have been running synthetic oil, too. Funny it’s not a requirement? Apparently it produces fewer crank case emissions and is less likely to contaminate the backs of intake valves. I’m sure your mileage will bounce back.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
451 Posts
You all want to update your signatures.

Engine is not assumed and needs to be specified!!!

That MPG doesn't sound bad anyway. My Highlander with a 3.5L just got 26MPG and is a 5 speed Auto w/4WD full time. FYI

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
717 Posts
...I have been running synthetic oil, too. Funny it’s not a requirement?...
One of the reasons synthetic oil is not a "requirement" is to keep the cost of ownership as low as possible.

Same reason they try to avoid the need for higher octane premium gas.

Richard

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
451 Posts
I doubt that personally as they're warrantying the engine with the oil spec'd for a long time. Also in my own case the 2012 Highander spec's ONLY 0W20 SYNTHETIC to be used. Nothing else with a note that in a pinch 5W20 but switch back after. I use synthetic in my vehicles always now. Its cheap insurance and helps a lot in the Winter cold starts and hot summer running, eliminating the occurrence of engine sludge. A win win in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
I doubt that personally as they're warrantying the engine with the oil spec'd for a long time...
I think you are missing the point.

KIA vehicles have always been marketed as a "budget" brand - costing less than the competition to purchase and own. (Say a KIA Sorento vs. a Toyota Highlander for instance.)

This is one of the reasons, for example, that they still recommend a 5W-30 viscosity and not a 0W-30 (or 0W-20) for the Sorento (and others models). There might not be a significant difference in availability or price between them in the US or Canada, but there is in many of the other Countries in which KIAs are sold.

Richard

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
451 Posts
Oil is the same price for the varying 0W20 to 5W30 Synthetic is ~ $33/5L jug on sale at Canadian Tire, Walmart etc on SALE. I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum mostly but will entertain Castrol as well which I have currently for my oil change. 0W20 wasn't as available before as it is now. No trouble getting any grade although some brands cannot make a 0W20 in a dino oil anyway. I was looking at the new Sorento and would have had to get a SX even now for lane change alert. Should be standard equipment and at $40k plus its not a cheap vehicle by a long shot.

Sorry I don't agree. Sure you can use the cheaper dino oil in the Kia but i feel personally I am better off with the GDI engine running the cleanest fluids and those that keep it clean are both the Top Tier gas and Top brand Synthetic oil with optimised engineering keeping the oil system clean. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum advertises that and Castrol current Canadian made product appears equivalent reading the jug. Cheap insurance for the long OCI on these.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oil is the same price for the varying 0W20 to 5W30 Synthetic is ~ $33/5L jug on sale at Canadian Tire, Walmart etc on SALE. I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum mostly but will entertain Castrol as well which I have currently for my oil change. 0W20 wasn't as available before as it is now. No trouble getting any grade although some brands cannot make a 0W20 in a dino oil anyway. I was looking at the new Sorento and would have had to get a SX even now for lane change alert. Should be standard equipment and at $40k plus its not a cheap vehicle by a long shot.

Sorry I don't agree. Sure you can use the cheaper dino oil in the Kia but i feel personally I am better off with the GDI engine running the cleanest fluids and those that keep it clean are both the Top Tier gas and Top brand Synthetic oil with optimised engineering keeping the oil system clean. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum advertises that and Castrol current Canadian made product appears equivalent reading the jug. Cheap insurance for the long OCI on these.
Exactly. using synthetic oil is the cheapest insurance you can buy! This is my first Kia, after a string of Toyotas, and I intend to treat it with the same respect. Kias may not be the most expensive vehicles around, but that doesn’t mean you have to cut corners on maintenance. Synthetic has been a no-brainer in my book since Moses wore shorts.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
@Tripplec

You obviously are not reading my posts before responding...

...Especially the part where I said, "There might not be a significant difference in availability or price between them in the US or Canada, but there is in many of the other Countries in which KIAs are sold." You seem to forget that KIA vehicles are sold in other countries around the world, not just in North America.

As for the use of synthetic oil...

...The original comment that I was responding to was, "I have been running synthetic oil, too. Funny it’s not a requirement?" I was giving one the the reasons why KIA doesn't make synthetic oil a requirement. In some countries, full synthetic oil is significantly more expensive than conventional oil - thus increasing the cost of ownership.

As for 5W-xx vs, 0W-xx...

...Most 0W-xx (20/30/40) are full synthetic oils (a few are synthetic blends - e.g. Motorcraft) whereas a 5W-xx viscosity oil is readily available (and much less expensive in some countries) in conventional form. Even a blend will often be a lot cheaper.

P.S. I was in no way implying that you shouldn't use a full synthetic oil in your vehicles. I myself use a high quality 100% synthetic oil in all my vehicles.

Richard

·
Registered
17 Posts
@Tripplec

You obviously are not reading my posts before responding...

...Especially the part where I said, "There might not be a significant difference in availability or price between them in the US or Canada, but there is in many of the other Countries in which KIAs are sold." You seem to forget that KIA vehicles are sold in other countries around the world, not just in North America.

As for the use of synthetic oil...

...The original comment that I was responding to was, "I have been running synthetic oil, too. Funny it’s not a requirement?" I was giving one the the reasons why KIA doesn't make synthetic oil a requirement. In some countries, full synthetic oil is significantly more expensive than conventional oil - thus increasing the cost of ownership.

As for 5W-xx vs, 0W-xx...

...Most 0W-xx (20/30/40) are full synthetic oils (a few are synthetic blends - e.g. Motorcraft) whereas a 5W-xx viscosity oil is readily available (and much less expensive in some countries) in conventional form. Even a blend will often be a lot cheaper.

P.S. I was in no way implying that you shouldn't use a full synthetic oil in your vehicles. I myself use a high quality 100% synthetic oil in all my vehicles.

Richard
Don’t be so sensitive, no one is questioning your obvious authority on Kia production philosophy! So what position do you hold within the company, or are you merely speculating? If you’re just guessing, put a cork in it. If it’s a matter of fact, back it up with something worth reading.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
P.S. I didn't know that "Moses wore shorts"

Do you have any facts to back that statement up?

:rolleyes:

121 - 134 of 134 Posts