Kia Forum banner

121 - 140 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
656 Posts
You should use TIER ONE or otherwise known as TOP TIER GAS!!! Only a few Canadian brand are.
Shell
Petro Canada
Mobile & Esso (same company)

If you weren't using them the majority of the time it could be the reason for the problems.

Thats and FYI

Reactions: Jacob King

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX AWD
63 Posts
That’s pretty awful, regardless! What were you towing? Sorry, I’ll average 26 mpg minimum, under similar conditions. Did you notice any improvement in drivability?
Towed nothing..it's the worse gas mileage I've ever had on road trip. Mostly around 27-28mpg doing 80. Maybe the headwind was just that bad...unsure.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Towed nothing..it's the worse gas mileage I've ever had on road trip. Mostly around 27-28mpg doing 80. Maybe the headwind was just that bad...unsure.
That’s exactly where I am mileage wise. I have been running synthetic oil, too. Funny it’s not a requirement? Apparently it produces fewer crank case emissions and is less likely to contaminate the backs of intake valves. I’m sure your mileage will bounce back.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
656 Posts
You all want to update your signatures.

Engine is not assumed and needs to be specified!!!

That MPG doesn't sound bad anyway. My Highlander with a 3.5L just got 26MPG and is a 5 speed Auto w/4WD full time. FYI

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX - 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
955 Posts
...I have been running synthetic oil, too. Funny it’s not a requirement?...
One of the reasons synthetic oil is not a "requirement" is to keep the cost of ownership as low as possible.

Same reason they try to avoid the need for higher octane premium gas.

Richard

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
656 Posts
I doubt that personally as they're warrantying the engine with the oil spec'd for a long time. Also in my own case the 2012 Highander spec's ONLY 0W20 SYNTHETIC to be used. Nothing else with a note that in a pinch 5W20 but switch back after. I use synthetic in my vehicles always now. Its cheap insurance and helps a lot in the Winter cold starts and hot summer running, eliminating the occurrence of engine sludge. A win win in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX - 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
955 Posts
I doubt that personally as they're warrantying the engine with the oil spec'd for a long time...
I think you are missing the point.

KIA vehicles have always been marketed as a "budget" brand - costing less than the competition to purchase and own. (Say a KIA Sorento vs. a Toyota Highlander for instance.)

This is one of the reasons, for example, that they still recommend a 5W-30 viscosity and not a 0W-30 (or 0W-20) for the Sorento (and others models). There might not be a significant difference in availability or price between them in the US or Canada, but there is in many of the other Countries in which KIAs are sold.

Richard

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
656 Posts
Oil is the same price for the varying 0W20 to 5W30 Synthetic is ~ $33/5L jug on sale at Canadian Tire, Walmart etc on SALE. I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum mostly but will entertain Castrol as well which I have currently for my oil change. 0W20 wasn't as available before as it is now. No trouble getting any grade although some brands cannot make a 0W20 in a dino oil anyway. I was looking at the new Sorento and would have had to get a SX even now for lane change alert. Should be standard equipment and at $40k plus its not a cheap vehicle by a long shot.

Sorry I don't agree. Sure you can use the cheaper dino oil in the Kia but i feel personally I am better off with the GDI engine running the cleanest fluids and those that keep it clean are both the Top Tier gas and Top brand Synthetic oil with optimised engineering keeping the oil system clean. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum advertises that and Castrol current Canadian made product appears equivalent reading the jug. Cheap insurance for the long OCI on these.

Reactions: Tigoat

·
Registered
32 Posts
Oil is the same price for the varying 0W20 to 5W30 Synthetic is ~ $33/5L jug on sale at Canadian Tire, Walmart etc on SALE. I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum mostly but will entertain Castrol as well which I have currently for my oil change. 0W20 wasn't as available before as it is now. No trouble getting any grade although some brands cannot make a 0W20 in a dino oil anyway. I was looking at the new Sorento and would have had to get a SX even now for lane change alert. Should be standard equipment and at $40k plus its not a cheap vehicle by a long shot.

Sorry I don't agree. Sure you can use the cheaper dino oil in the Kia but i feel personally I am better off with the GDI engine running the cleanest fluids and those that keep it clean are both the Top Tier gas and Top brand Synthetic oil with optimised engineering keeping the oil system clean. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum advertises that and Castrol current Canadian made product appears equivalent reading the jug. Cheap insurance for the long OCI on these.
Exactly. using synthetic oil is the cheapest insurance you can buy! This is my first Kia, after a string of Toyotas, and I intend to treat it with the same respect. Kias may not be the most expensive vehicles around, but that doesn’t mean you have to cut corners on maintenance. Synthetic has been a no-brainer in my book since Moses wore shorts.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX 3.3 V6 AWD, Snow White Pearl W/Touring Pkg.
73 Posts
Just bought a 2018 with the V6 and noticed the same thing a couple of times in normal mode.

I wanted to ignore it and hope that it was not really there since it is a new car.
Our Sorento has a similar issue.Stumbling on acceleration 20-30 mph Not a very good situation.Should have kept our 2012 Sorento SX.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento, 3.3 8 spd auto
8 Posts
Just purchased a 2019 Sorento LX with the 3.3 V6, awd and 8 spd tranny,. It also misses/stutters on acceleration in all trans modes including if attempting to use manual shifting. No codes or lights thrown? This is especially pronounced at high mountain altitudes (live in Denver area). I have a second home in the mountains and purchased this vehicle to drive there. I purchased a used program car (assume rental vehicle) from a KIA dealership with 32K mileage and a 12K bumper to bumper warranty. I have driven it a little over 3K (now 35K). Been back to dealer twice to complain about stutter. First time dealer tech indicated he found no codes when scanned (no surprise) and he cleared the transmission codes of shifting history. Second time front office guy took it for a drive and said it was perfect and he could not detect any problem. In fairness to the dealer the car does drive reasonably well in the lower altitudes of Denver, but misses/stutters significantly at higher altitudes (9100 ft.). Heck it stutters so bad that even my wife in the passenger seat notices it. I normally use regular grade fuel, but as an experiment filled with premium grade fuel and a fuel additive (seasense) on my trip to mountains last week. The car seemed to run better, it did not eliminate the problem (still stuttered a few times), but I thought it was better. Other than this issue, which I find scary...(no codes and dealer starting to claim no issues...meaning manufacture defect) I find the car to be a perfect vehicle for me. Great torque to pull up the mountains at reasonable RPM's (usually below 3K rpm, 6th gear, 65-70 mph even when pulling Loveland pass) low interior noise level and comfortable ride, plus 7 passenger seating. What more ccould I ask for...other than a car that does not stutter on acceleration????
Any suggestions or similar experiences with a known fix would be greatly appreciated.
Thx
Bob

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6 AWD
140 Posts
Noticed that highway cruising in sport mode leaves it in 6 rather than ever upshifting to 8.
Just fyi, out of curiosity several months back I did a little experiment w/Sport mode and mine (a 19 EX v6) was at 75-80 before it finally shifted to 8th. That was on fairly long flat stretch of highway, as flat as I can find around here, and no cruise control. If I set the cruise control it would up shift to 8th at a much lower speed, I think some where about 50, but I can't remember exactly. Going down in speed, it didn't down shift from 8th to 7th until about 50 or below.

·
Registered
2019 Sorrento SX
5 Posts
Just purchased a 2019 Sorento LX with the 3.3 V6, awd and 8 spd tranny,. It also misses/stutters on acceleration in all trans modes including if attempting to use manual shifting. No codes or lights thrown? This is especially pronounced at high mountain altitudes (live in Denver area). I have a second home in the mountains and purchased this vehicle to drive there. I purchased a used program car (assume rental vehicle) from a KIA dealership with 32K mileage and a 12K bumper to bumper warranty. I have driven it a little over 3K (now 35K). Been back to dealer twice to complain about stutter. First time dealer tech indicated he found no codes when scanned (no surprise) and he cleared the transmission codes of shifting history. Second time front office guy took it for a drive and said it was perfect and he could not detect any problem. In fairness to the dealer the car does drive reasonably well in the lower altitudes of Denver, but misses/stutters significantly at higher altitudes (9100 ft.). Heck it stutters so bad that even my wife in the passenger seat notices it. I normally use regular grade fuel, but as an experiment filled with premium grade fuel and a fuel additive (seasense) on my trip to mountains last week. The car seemed to run better, it did not eliminate the problem (still stuttered a few times), but I thought it was better. Other than this issue, which I find scary...(no codes and dealer starting to claim no issues...meaning manufacture defect) I find the car to be a perfect vehicle for me. Great torque to pull up the mountains at reasonable RPM's (usually below 3K rpm, 6th gear, 65-70 mph even when pulling Loveland pass) low interior noise level and comfortable ride, plus 7 passenger seating. What more ccould I ask for...other than a car that does not stutter on acceleration????
Any suggestions or similar experiences with a known fix would be greatly appreciated.
Thx
Bob
Bob,
I have the exact same problem. We live in Dillon and my 2019 Sorrento SXL has stumbled and hesitated most noticeably at slow speeds around 18 to 24 mph since we purchased new in October 2018. It only does it in the mountains at 9200 feet. It does not do it in Denver at 5200 feet which is where the Kia dealer is. I have filed a consumer complaint with Kia and asked for a tech to come drive at my house in mountains. They have refused. Other than this problem we enjoy the car. I did buy an extended warranty so I think I am stil covered.

I am tAking in for oil change and will complain once again.
Colorado
Sorrento SXL 2019

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6 AWD
140 Posts
Thx
Bob
Hi Bib. As you've no doubt noticed this has been a fairly significant topic for a good while now. A good number of us have noticed this symptom with our vehicles, some worse than others, some not at all, hard to tell the split. Some seem to think it's related to a transmission issue, some think it's more related to an engine issue, as I do. Sadly, the bottom line is I don't recall anyone posting a fix, just possible fixes. And, dealers don't seem to be much help and I don't know if anyone has gotten any corporate satisfaction or even response.

As I said, I feel and have felt for some time that it's an engine related issue, that it has something to do with the engine fuel management/delivery system calibration. It feels like an engine misfire, say a fouled plug, etc. Take your symptom at higher elevation (we're at about 700') & lower air density, what better way to screw with and engine fuel management system? Any way, when I reported the symptom to my dealer, a service adviser took it for a drive with me riding along and of course didn't notice anything, but he suggested they do an "ETC adaptive value" reset. Without going into a lot of detail that is suppose to make the engine throttle control system relearn throttle/engine calibration, etc. It didn't clear the stumble/hesitation thing but it did seem to make the throttle a bit more responsive especially at initial throttle input. So if your throttle feels a little sloppy at times you might want to give that a thought. But, like you, I've also been experimenting for a while now with higher octane & ethanol free gas and I think that has also had positive effect on both throttle response and possibly even on the stumble/hesitation. Hopefully I'll know in a few weeks if what I'm sensing is real or not because I'm going back to 87 octane 10% (??) ethanol gas. Then I'll decide if higher octane/grade or ethanol free gas is worth the extra cost.

Sorry I didn't have more positive input but Happy New Year anyway!

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
665 Posts
I think what you are experiencing could be a brief fuel cutoff to unload the transmission while it shifts which would not cause a misfire but would come across as a stumble. If the car was constantly hunting gears (which the 8 speed might just do in very high altitudes because of decreased performance capability) then perhaps it is constantly doing a fuel cutoff to shift. Or, it's an actual misfire that the OBD system isn't catching for some reason.

There are so many 3.3-V6 engines out there <2019 that perform flawlessly that I keep coming back to the transmission or at least its relationship to the engine. Document your issue with the dealer on service tickets as well as a letter to the dealer outlining the issues. Send a similar letter to Kia corporate and let them know of your intention to contact the EPA as you feel any misfire increases vehicles emissions (which it does). Then file a complaint with the EPA although they have had a lot of their teeth pulled as far as enforcement goes.

Finally, if you can beg, borrow or steal a full function OBD scanner that will provide real time data, stack data and a data history. Then drive the car and when it misbehaves, unload the data to your phone or laptop and see what is happening within the system while this is taking place. There might even be some sophisticated phone apps that only require you to buy a relatively inexpensive dongle for the OBD port. Assuming it shows something during these stumbles, take the data to the dealer and see how they address scientific proof of the issue.

I have been at 12,000 feet with our 2018 V-6 and other than noticing a drop in power, it performed flawlessly on regular gas and climbing some significant mountains in Rocky Mountain National Park. So I know this engine can perform smoothly at all atmospheric pressures and air densities so yours should as well.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6 AWD
140 Posts
I think what you are experiencing could be a brief fuel cutoff to unload the transmission while it shifts which would not cause a misfire but would come across as a stumble.
Thanks Tom, I do appreciate your input. I would certainly agree with you on the fuel cut off/transmission thing if it weren't for a couple of important facts that I failed to mention which might shed more light on my particular situation. For about the first 8-12 minutes of driving, I'm always in manual mode. We live in a relatively rural area just a few miles outside the main congested areas. Our subdivision is wooded, hilly, loaded with deer, so the roads are relatively hilly, curvy and speeds are fairly low. So for the first few minutes of driving I just use manual as even Sport mode can tend to up shift too early sometimes. The stumble/hesitation/misfire is always just in the first 8-12 minutes of driving and at lower rpm, 1500-2000 rpm. It'll pretty much disappear just by keeping a lower gear & the rpm up between 2200-2800. The second this is that by the time I've driven that 8-12 minutes the engine has warmed to the point to where the symptoms are pretty much gone on and everything seems normal. However, if I let it sit or about 3-4+ hours we start over.

Don' get me wrong, I really like the vehicle a lot and have no major complaints. It drives great, the transmission seems to works well, the engine is smooth, has decent power except for lack of low end torque (coming from a 4.7L v8 Durango). I just wish it sounded little better at higher rpm! Right now I think that my issues with the way it runs for the first few minutes aren't nearly as sever as some other folks who seem to be having more sever issues with either the transmission, engine or a combination of both. It's just annoying to think you pay this much for a new car that doesn't seem to preform as perfectly as you think it should. I'm just not sure right now that my issues are critical enough to create a big stink, however, I am thinking I may report it to corporate and I'll definitely report it again at the next service to see if they have any new wisdom. Certainly if I feel it getting any worse I'll take a more aggressive approach.

Thanks again & Happy New Year!

·
Registered
'19 Sorento S V6 AWD in Snow White, 2021 Seltos SX turbo AWD
303 Posts
I've got a '19 in 'S' trim and I'm loving it more as it breaks in. I only have 900 miles on it. I do experience a little jerkiness, or pulsating when starting out. It seems to be around 3rd or 4th gear. It is usually when the transmission is cold. After I've driven a while I don't really notice it any more.

I don't think any of us knows for sure what is going on, but if I were a betting man, I would put my money on the transmission as the problem. I think the engine is fine. And I've been using Top Tier fuel since the dealer's fill up. And with only 900 miles it shouldn't be a fuel issue.

Here's how I'm approaching it as of now. If it gets no worse, I could live with it as is for the duration. When I go to the dealer next (don't know when that will be as I do my own oil changes), I'll ask if there are any TSBs for my vehicle concerning the transmission. If there are I'll have them performed.

If anything, there may be a programming issue, as so many of these new 8, 9 and 10 speed autos seem to have. If that's the case hopefully it can be fixed. Part of the problem is also that in Comfort mode, it has upshifted all the way to seventh or eighth gear by the time I'm going 38 or 40 mph and now the engine is lugging because the RPMs are only 1200. So I think low RPMs and possibly programming are the problem, at least in my case. YMMV.

The jerking or pulsating also pretty much goes away after the trans warms up. I also overcome the problem by shifting manually until I've been on the road for a while. With my right elbow on the center arm rest, the shifter falls right to hand. Very convenient and I enjoy shifting, so no problem.

So as I said, if I can get a fix, that's great. If no fix, as long as it gets no worse I can live with this situation because it's not that bad, in my case. I really like the car and look forward to driving it.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
383 Posts
My '19 V6 did not come to full performance until around 2,000 mi.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bob,
I have the exact same problem. We live in Dillon and my 2019 Sorrento SXL has stumbled and hesitated most noticeably at slow speeds around 18 to 24 mph since we purchased new in October 2018. It only does it in the mountains at 9200 feet. It does not do it in Denver at 5200 feet which is where the Kia dealer is. I have filed a consumer complaint with Kia and asked for a tech to come drive at my house in mountains. They have refused. Other than this problem we enjoy the car. I did buy an extended warranty so I think I am stil covered.

I am tAking in for oil change and will complain once again.
Colorado
Sorrento SXL 2019
G Meyer,
Well I took the car in again and dealer's comment was they did not know what to do. So I paid them $190 to perform an intake de-carb cleaning. Since it was a used car I thought that may be the issue. But alas no resolution, drove car to mountains last week and car cutout/stuttered just like before.
Have you contacted an attorney to pursue the issue under the Colorado lemons law? I have had the car for about 2 months and my fourth visit to the dealer for this issue will be next Tuesday. I really do not expect it to be fixed since it appears to me this is a manufacture defect (no codes, lights,etc and only at high altitudes is a significant problem). Unfortunately, even though a 2019, I purchased a used car and my bumper to bumper warranty only last for 12 K miles and I have already driven over 4 K miles. So I plan to cease driving the car except on mountain trips to see if dealer has repaired it. I am also seeking the advice of an attorney to protect my rights under the Colorado lemons law. I think the law provides for a claim within 1 year from purchase of a new car, or six months of end of warranty period on a new or used car. However, in general I have only minimal respect for the legal profession and am aware that I need a competent and ethical attorney for legal advice. Just wondering if you have found such a rare individual? I also expect that I will have to pursue some arbitration process first that was written into terms of warranty. However, If arbitration can be inconsistent with public law is an issue for the attorneys to handle. Feel free to contact me directly at (303)669-2002
Thanks to all for their comments.
Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just an update on my car status. I took my car into the KIA dealer on Jan 6 for the fourth time (had car less than 3 months) for the same issue (stuttering/cutout/). Much to the credit of dealership a couple of days later they hooked up some kind of code reader and drove it the 100 miles+ up to Dillon (mountains). The service adviser informed me that the car stuttered/cutout just like I said it would. He said the tech described it as almost like the car was running out of fuel and they had a bunch of simultaneous codes they did not understand(???). However, still no lights/warning on the dash. He advised me they were sending the codes/data to KIA and needed additional time to repair the car. Been several calls in the interim( 11 days) advising me that they needed more time to get a repair from KIA. Basically my understanding is KIA wanted more data but dealership did not know what else they could provide Last call (Wednesday) advised me that KIA recommended they change the power control module. However, the module was coming directly from KIA engineering and not thru the normal inventory system (I know what I know and no more) and he did not have a precise estimate of when the part would arrive. I will update the forum when I have more information. Hopefully this can lead to a problem resolution for at least G Meyer and myself ....and maybe more????
My general impression at this point is my dealership service has been extraordinarily outstanding! How many dealers would hook up some kind of code reader than pay a tech to drive a vehicle about a 100 miles (one way) to see if they could duplicate a problem just because a customer complained the car was stuttering/cutting out when the vehicle showed no codes and ran reasonably well in local conditions??? Yeah...I was probably not the only complaint...but impressive none the less. They also provided an Uber lift home (estimate 15 miles) when I dropped off the car, and last call offered to provide a rental car (I declined at this point). KIA as a manufacturer...well not as impressive. I think my vehicle was initially placed in service (fleet/rental???) in mid 2018 and G Meyer had reported the issue over a year ago on this forum. A manufacturer waiting a year and a half to go Oh Gee I may have a problem is not impressive to me. As stated earlier I will update the forum when I have more information

121 - 140 of 192 Posts