Kia Forum banner

101 - 120 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you can consistently get it to flip back and forth like that, it would be interesting to know how the fuel trims differ. A realtime OBD data stream reader would show those values, along with possibly other things that might help explain what's going on.

At this point I’m just thankful to have found something that works. I’ll experiment periodically, but will most likely just stick with ethanol free as long as the results stay the same. It really is a great vehicle! Hopefully others will try to duplicate my findings, and compare notes.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
383 Posts
Regular gas can have up to 5% 'other' in it (diesel, transmix, kero, etc). Pipelines maintain transmix tanks along the line in order to keep premium gas and jet fuel (kero) pure. It is injected into regular gas batches.

What surprises me is that for the past few years they are putting lots of butane in regular gas. Not so much at the refinery, but at the terminals and pipeline origins. Anything to dilute the expensive gas/ethanol and increase profit.

Point here: Try a tank or two of premium, not for the octane, but for the purity.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6 AWD
140 Posts
Well I guess I'm gonna' have to go look for ethanol free gas in my area and give it a try! For those interested, check out this website that claims to have a "definitive list" of ethanol free gas stations: https://www.pure-gas.org/

In any case, I took my 2019 EX in last week for it's second oil change and also to have them try and duplicate the engine stumble/hesitation thing. I had them let it sit there for 4-5 hours after the oil change to ensure the engine had cooled enough. Then I had a service adviser drive it with me along for the ride and of course he was not able to drive it in a manner I was trying to describe to him so as to duplicate the issue, so he saw nothing. However at his suggestion we took it back to the service center where they did an "adaptive value" reset on the ETC. As I understand it, this resets a lot of computer/fuel system monitoring sensors, something, something, etc., so that it can re-learn everything.

Well, in a nut shell, little or no noticeable improvement in initial cool engine stumble/hesitation, where mine exhibits the problem. But I have noticed that it does seem to smooth out a lot quicker, like with in 8-10 minutes of driving where as before it was taking at least twice that long. Another thing I've noticed, and hopefully this is not just wishful thinking on my part, is that throttle response/crispness has an ever so slight but noticeable improvement, even in ECO mode!

Anyway, for those experiencing the engine stumble/hesitation syndrome the "adaptive value" reset might be something to suggest to the service people, couldn't hurt. Or could it?

Oh, and there is also an "adaptive value" reset for the transmission control module, so it can re-learn! I find all this re-learning very scary! Good luck!

·
Registered
Sorento V6 LX AWD 2019
37 Posts
Did a little experiment this morning. Drove away after cold start in manual and kept engine in manual in 1. Interestingly enough no engine stutter which seems to confirm it is the gear box shifting up too early while cold which gives the stutter. Also checked gear when I was driving through parking lot at 12 mph and car was already in 3rd. So the gearbox really does shift early in smart mode which probably causes some of the stutter.

·
Registered
Sorento LX 2019
17 Posts
I have a 2019 Sorento V6 AWD with about 14K miles. I only bought it about two months ago and noticed some shift/acceleration issues soon thereafter. Primarily at low RPM, part throttle applications, regardless of speed. I had the dealer reprogram the transmission logic, per a TSB, which helped to some extent, but there was still an engine stumble. I tried a BG fuel system cleaner for GDI motors which further reduced, but didn’t eliminate the hesitation. For the last five fill-ups I’ve used strictly ethanol free premium (top tier of course) with an isopropyl gas line antifreeze (Iso-heat) figuring there was water in the system. Gradually I saw improvement. I can happily say my Sorento now operates seamlessly. Butter smooth transmission shifts and no hesitation or stumble. Definitely worth a shot if my problems sound familiar.....(5 days later) So after running all that fine methanol free fuel, I tried a tank of mid grade 10% ethanol fuel, well within requirements, and right back to stumbling. After a half tank, I topped it off with ethanol free premium, and Bam, silky smooth operation once again. Begin to think Kia messed up somewhere with their fuel delivery system and installed something ethanol intolerant . Has anyone out there tried ethanol free, and if so, how’d that work out for ya?
I also tried a tank of ethanol free fuel and saw a dramatic improvement in hesitation and acceleration. Live in FL so don’t know if those in other climates will see improvement

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2019 built just after the cut off for the transmission reprogramming TSB, so I should already have the updated logic. When cold, and especially with the AC on, the first shift or two after first gear will be rough. Occasionally there are jerky shifts at other times but they are more minor. I think that's similar to most of you but I've always been sure it was a transmission issue and never suspected the engine. Rough shifts have plagued other modern high-gear transmission designs. I think it's a trade off for some design changes they make to increase fuel economy and also an indication of just how hard it is to get the programming right.

I've also experienced the small surge when decelerating and it always coincides with a downshift. It's a bit surprising but too minor to concern me. It's like you're using engine breaking in a manual and not getting the throttle position right after the downshift. I suspect that's exactly what's happening and the computer is at fault. Using the engine to slow the car must be a another trick they use to save fuel. I'd gladly pay a bit more in fuel to have a dumb but smooth transmission.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento Sport V6
16 Posts
I bought new 2019 V6 Sorento 3 weeks ago, and only 300 miles on it now. I have not driven it enough in the different modes to have a full grasp of all the differences in the modes. Love the responsiveness of it in Sport mode, but did not care for the heaviness of the Steering in that mode. If I could disable it from going into sport steering mode, would be perfect. (Which mode does the steering default to if the connection to the steering assist control is disrupted? ) :)

In Comfort mode I noticed some odd surging while slowing down with no throttle input. when it is slowing, and going from 30 mph down to 20 mph, it almost feels like the brakes are lightly applied, then below 20, smooths out and coast. I am going to try it today using manual shifting, to see if it does the same thing.

Will try to get some miles on it in each mode to allow the ECU to do its learning process.

I am a long time Car Guy, but new to the Kia's.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX AWD
63 Posts
Just got back from a trip to OK. Fuel milage there on reg, 23.2 mpg doing approx 80 there (with a headwind).
purchased ethanol free for return trip home, only 22 mpg doing same mph, had a slight cross wind on way home.

FYI

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,386 Posts
Just got back from a trip to OK. Fuel milage there on reg, 23.2 mpg doing approx 80 there (with a headwind).
purchased ethanol free for return trip home, only 22 mpg doing same mph, had a slight cross wind on way home.

FYI
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/forum-rules.27240/

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

·
Registered
32 Posts

FYI
That’s pretty awful, regardless! What were you towing? Sorry, I’ll average 26 mpg minimum, under similar conditions. Did you notice any improvement in drivability?

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
657 Posts
I started a thread on 8 speeds to find out more and this is certainly unsettling behaviour. 6 speeds work great in our 2015 so whats to gain other than pain along with issues in performance.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6 AWD
19 Posts
I started a thread on 8 speeds to find out more and this is certainly unsettling behaviour. 6 speeds work great in our 2015 so whats to gain other than pain along with issues in performance.
To me, I don't really think it's the transmission. I feel some roughness on idle also & I don't see how that can be due to transmission, I think it is more of an engine issue.

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2019
2 Posts
Bought my 2019 Sorento SX in March. I now have 2200 Km on it. Same stumbling, hesitation, misfire like problem as everybody else. I drive it in Smart Mode all the time. Last tank top up was with Shell V-Power ethanol free gas. 90% of the problem is solved. Can’t wait for the 87 octane gas with 10% ethanol in the tank to be fully burned.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
669 Posts
Bought my 2019 Sorento SX in March. I now have 2200 Km on it. Same stumbling, hesitation, misfire like problem as everybody else. I drive it in Smart Mode all the time. Last tank top up was with Shell V-Power ethanol free gas. 90% of the problem is solved. Can’t wait for the 87 octane gas with 10% ethanol in the tank to be fully burned.
But you shouldn't be forced to pay 30 to 50 cents more per gallon to solve an issue that shouldn't be there. The engine is the same as used in 2018 with some minor mechanical modifications but any big changes would be in the programming of the control module. You can hardly tell our V6 is running it's so smooth so the engine is capable of running like a watch and if it isn't, it's 95% likely to be programming the other 5% could be a mechanical defect in a particular engine but not across the line.

I wouldn't tolerate any kind of driveability issue in a brand new $35,000 car and would get the issue documented on a work order. Leave the car at the dealership on a Sunday evening and be at there service dept the next morning when it opens and grab the service manager and take the car out when you are almost assured it will misbehave. Get that in writing from the service manager and then start the process with Kia to get it fixed, replaced or refunded under any applicable lemon laws.

·
Registered
32 Posts
But you shouldn't be forced to pay 30 to 50 cents more per gallon to solve an issue that shouldn't be there. The engine is the same as used in 2018 with some minor mechanical modifications but any big changes would be in the programming of the control module. You can hardly tell our V6 is running it's so smooth so the engine is capable of running like a watch and if it isn't, it's 95% likely to be programming the other 5% could be a mechanical defect in a particular engine but not across the line.

I wouldn't tolerate any kind of driveability issue in a brand new $35,000 car and would get the issue documented on a work order. Leave the car at the dealership on a Sunday evening and be at there service dept the next morning when it opens and grab the service manager and take the car out when you are almost assured it will misbehave. Get that in writing from the service manager and then start the process with Kia to get it fixed, replaced or refunded under any applicable lemon laws.
After maintaining a steady diet of ethanol free premium fuel, and virtually eliminating any hint of hesitation/stumble, I’ve reverted to a mid-grade Sunoco 10% ethanol fuel with like results. I purchased my Sorento “certified pre-owned” with about 10K miles. I gotta believe the top tier fuel requirement was ignored by the previous owner, or there was a fundamental cleanliness issue from the manufacturer. I hope my due diligence in that area will continue to pay off. It took a while, the system must have been filthy. The use of high quality detergent gasoline (or appropriate additive when not available) as recommended in the owner’s manual, is crucial and can’t be underestimated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6 AWD
140 Posts
To me, I don't really think it's the transmission. I feel some roughness on idle also & I don't see how that can be due to transmission, I think it is more of an engine issue.
Exactly! With almost 12k miles now, I've believed from first noticing the stumble/hesitation that it was more of an engine fuel delivery/management issue than a transmission issue, at least with mine. It's almost like a plug or two miss firing, or it's running too lean (like an old carburetor-ed engine with not enough choke).

I do think that could have some affect on the transmission/engine combination, after all they do talk to each other. How they communicate with each other could certainly affect overall smoothness of the drive train. And I'm certainly not saying others aren't having problems with the 8 speed, it is a new design, theres bound to be some teething problems somewhere.

I do think there might be something to this ethanol free & top tier gas thing though, I'm trying that route now. But at the same time I have to agree with Tom4416, we shouldn't have to go through this BS with a new vehicle that is suppose to run on 87 octane w/up to 15% ethanol! Pages 1-2/3 in the owners manual details pretty well the fuel requirements and limitations.

Good luck!

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
657 Posts
Well it certainly should run properly with the specified grade of gas, especially top tier. I would never buy a vehicle requiring premium 91 fuel. Since the hit on price is very high.

I did not see a location for RDH but if the dealer cannot resolve the problem. I'd start a case with either the auto protection arm or escalate to customer service for a factory rep. The longer you leave it the worst it will get. At this point a buy back of your vehicle can also be done.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Exactly! With almost 12k miles now, I've believed from first noticing the stumble/hesitation that it was more of an engine fuel delivery/management issue than a transmission issue, at least with mine. It's almost like a plug or two miss firing, or it's running too lean (like an old carburetor-ed engine with not enough choke).

I do think that could have some affect on the transmission/engine combination, after all they do talk to each other. How they communicate with each other could certainly affect overall smoothness of the drive train. And I'm certainly not saying others aren't having problems with the 8 speed, it is a new design, theres bound to be some teething problems somewhere.

I do think there might be something to this ethanol free & top tier gas thing though, I'm trying that route now. But at the same time I have to agree with Tom4416, we shouldn't have to go through this BS with a new vehicle that is suppose to run on 87 octane w/up to 15% ethanol! Pages 1-2/3 in the owners manual details pretty well the fuel requirements and limitations.

Good luck!
Agreed, 100%.

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2019
2 Posts
Well it certainly should run properly with the specified grade of gas, especially top tier. I would never buy a vehicle requiring premium 91 fuel. Since the hit on price is very high.

I did not see a location for RDH but if the dealer cannot resolve the problem. I'd start a case with either the auto protection arm or escalate to customer service for a factory rep. The longer you leave it the worst it will get. At this point a buy back of your vehicle can also be done.
Hi,I live in the province of Québec, Canada. Took my Sorento SX today and it did not show any problem. Look like the 91 octane ethanol free gas is doing the job for me at least. As I drive this particular vehicle only 5000 km a year ( 3000 mi ), I don’t mind the extra cost. One thing is sure, no tech is going to touch anything under the hood or drive it around town only to be told everything is normal if it keep going the way it does now.

101 - 120 of 192 Posts