Kia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
421 Posts
Hope they don't do mine. Ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXL AWD Silver Ext/Black Int
13 Posts
Just wanted to chime in on this post as I am experiencing a "choppiness" at times with the transmission with my 2019 SXL. My wife and I both notice it only intermittently but I will say probably each time we drive. I wouldn't call it a hesitation but slight stumbling in the original post might be a good word for it . It's bit hard to describe - I'd say sometimes it feels/sounds like a tire noise on rougher payment upon slight acceleration and sometimes I think it's not the tranny, but the car is doing enough of it that I do believe it's the transmission. I had our service manager out on a road test with me and he thought it was fine. In actuality, the car did drive well and in the 15 minutes we had it out, I sensed it just once and it's not terrible, just noticable to me. The manager, while not acknowledging anything was wrong with the car, said they would probably have an update on the transmission in the new year since the car has the new 8 speed it in and it takes them 6+ months to issue a fix.

I do hope this is corrected over time. In general, we like this new car and it's our first Kia. But, it does have a few nagging issues, this probably being our top one.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXL AWD
237 Posts
skillset - A close friend who does not read this forum bought their 2019 SXL in NJ. If it's ok with you, from where and/or what dealer did you get your SXL ? Thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
hesitation 2019 Sorento

Have hesitation issues with the 2019 Sorento in all drive modes-was told the computer has to remember me-that was in May-2018-still does not remember me!

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX 3.3 V6 AWD, Snow White Pearl W/Touring Pkg.
73 Posts
Experiencing frequent "transmission gear shift choppiness" with our 2019 SX.Hopefully Kia is aware of the widespread owner concerns and will quickly address the issue. I do not believe this is a "remembering" issue. We drive 100% in Smart Mode.Otherwise vehicle is awesome driving machine!

·
Registered
2019 Sorrento SX
5 Posts
We have owned a 2019 SX Sorento for six months and have 3900 miles and have the same lugging hesitation problem with driving speeds around 19 to 30 mph or so. We live at 9200 feet in a snowy climate and we need to drive slow speeds for safety and it happens a lot. We have had it back to the dealer twice and they have test driven it but it did not do it for them at 5200 feet elevation with no snow. They have told me they have reprogrammed but it is still doing it. We too switch to manual and it seems to stop but that is not viable solution. They told me to video the dash and my feet when it is doing it??? I think they think I am braking and giving gas at same time?? I love the car but this is driving me crazy and is not enjoyable to drive.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6 AWD
140 Posts
I first posted on this issue back in Nov. when my 19 ex V6 was only a couple of months old & about 2k miles. It has always exhibited the same engine miss/hesitation/stumble that most everyone else seems to notice. On mine it's most noticeable for a while just after starting the engine, at a light throttle position and between about 1000 to 2000 rpm. However, it does seem to smooth out a lot after reaching normal operating temperature, about 15 - 20 minutes.

I didn't report the issue at the first oil change because of time constraints and the fact that engine has to be really on the cool side for it to really exhibit the issue but I will at the next dealer oil change. If they find anything that resolves the issue I'll post it.

·
Registered
2019 Sorrento SX
5 Posts
My 2019 Sorrento SX is doing the same stumbling, hesitating thing when trying to go at speeds around 20 to 30 mph. I have had it to the dealer twice. They have reset the programming (?). They drove it up into the mountains as I live at 9200 feet and I could not replicate at the dealer at 5200 feet elevation. At first I thought it was related to the cold temperatures and elevation I lived and drove at. They said they could not get it to happen.

I have had the car for about 6 months and have about 4200 miles on it. I will be taking it back in. But I think the difference is when there is snow and ice, I drive slower than in the city and it does it a lot. I have tried all the options and it seems to do it in all. It does not seem to do it once it is up to speed over 40 mph.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
653 Posts
My 2019 Sorrento SX is doing the same stumbling, hesitating thing when trying to go at speeds around 20 to 30 mph. I have had it to the dealer twice. They have reset the programming (?). They drove it up into the mountains as I live at 9200 feet and I could not replicate at the dealer at 5200 feet elevation. At first I thought it was related to the cold temperatures and elevation I lived and drove at. They said they could not get it to happen.

I have had the car for about 6 months and have about 4200 miles on it. I will be taking it back in. But I think the difference is when there is snow and ice, I drive slower than in the city and it does it a lot. I have tried all the options and it seems to do it in all. It does not seem to do it once it is up to speed over 40 mph.
9200 feet elevation is definitely a factor with respect to power, and that's probably why the issue can't be reproduced at 5200 feet. Less oxygen means you have a richer fuel/air ratio.

I would try putting the shifter in manual mode. That should disable the SMART driving control mode. If you still feel the hesitation then, I would install a cold air intake. Probably worth it.

·
Registered
2019, kia sorento SXL
1 Posts
I bought one of the first 2019 Kia Sorento SXL in May 2018 and my wife started noticing
a problem with the vehicle after it had 5000 km on it. The problem is like a miss fire, engine stumbling or transmission hesitation. This stumbling happens when there is a
lite acceleration and more so between 60 - 100 kmh. We have advised the dealer of this issue many times before they tried resetting the transmission computer. This solution only lasted a few days before it started to do it again. Then the dealership had a computer plugged into our SUV so they could gather some readings but for them everything seemed to be normal. At 15 000kn they changed the transmission computer and that solution also only lasted a few days and the hesitation started again. At 18 000 km they plugged the computer in again and that we would activate when the problem occurs so it could gather some more readings but yet again for the dealership everything was normal so they don’t know what to tell us at this point.

Now we are at 35000km and yet nothing is resolved. No feedback on the dealer part of even Kia Canada who are also aware of this problem since they even rented us another vehicle at one point to try and fix the problem. When we noticed that nothing was being done and our SUV was just sitting in the parking of the dealership, we asked for it back. Its very sad when you buy a 55000$ vehicle and feels like you have a third child to take care of...always having to run around dealing with this.
Its very sad that when a customer buys a broken vehicule he is stuck with it no matter what! And i have a hard time beleiving that all the 2019 model has the same probleme as mine!!!
And i bought the extended warrenty that brings me to like 220000 km warranty!! Wich was a big mistake ? because of an issue that is not yet taking care of...
We still like the kia sorento,but that probleme we seem to have is a very bad head ach!! And we have been pushed aside by our dealer because there are no recall on the vehicule yet, and they clearly know the vehicule has something wrong with it!!
And now we are stuck with THIS CANCER!!!!! very disappointed in this Kia Sorento SXL 2019

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXL
137 Posts
KIA has a TSB out for a "logic improvement" of the 8AT. I don't know if it's at all related to the problem described here, but it is a software update for the transmission.

This bulletin provides the procedure to improve logic of the TCU (Transmission Control Unit) software on some 2019MY Sorento (UMa) 3.3L vehicles produced from January 24, 2018 to March 26, 2019,which may experience a malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) ON with DTC P0741. To correct this concern, apply the improved logic to the TCU using the KDS ECU Upgrade function as described in this bulletin.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Black Sorento SX V6 w/SX Touring Pkg.
13 Posts
KIA has a TSB out for a "logic improvement" of the 8AT. I don't know if it's at all related to the problem described here, but it is a software update for the transmission.
Had this TSB (SA387) done to my 2019 SX V6 yesterday. Seems to have addressed my trans stumbling.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6 AWD
140 Posts
I've followed this thread with a great deal of interest since 9/18, when I bought the Sorento. Almost from the start I noticed a slight hesitation/stumble/raggedness, especially just after a cold start. Could there be two issues, engine or transmission or maybe combination of the two?

In my particular case I feel it's more engine related. It's always from a cold start, always between 1000 to 2000 rpm and always at light or part throttle acceleration. After about 15-20 minutes of driving the stumble/hesitation is pretty much gone. During warm up, however, it feels almost like a slight engine misfire, like an old carbureted (anybody remember those?) engine from days of yore running a bit too lean. Let it warm, a bit throttle or add a little choke (anybody remember those?) and it tends to smooth out. But, as others have stated, using manual or sport mode tends to help as it can allow for higher engine rpm operation.

With regard to the transmission, mine seems to usually shift smoothly enough and I have no major complaints about it's overall operation. However, I have noticed that it can sometimes be a little sloppy, a little flair here, a confused up/down shift there. It'll be going in soon for it's second oil change and I'll have them check things out, maybe have them apply tsb sa387.

Does any of the above sound familiar to anyone else?

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
483 Posts
Per the TSB, 3.3 engine, 8 speed tranny. Reprograms transmission/torque converter software. Does not give symptoms beyond possible DTC or what is changed.
Model Production Date Range
Sorento (UMa) January 24, 2018 to March 26, 2019

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6 AWD
19 Posts
EX V6. Car has only 3500 miles on it, was running so smooth, couple weeks ago I noticed definite "missing" feeling, like in the days when you had a fouled plug or picked up some bad gas, subtle, but got worse. At all speeds. Took it in today, no engine light on. They found nothing wrong, Said something about transmission learning some bad habits and the software, the papers say "Performed ATM adaptive valve relearn procedure, tested & vehicle operated as designed." And "procedure to improve logic of the Transmission Control Unit software on some 2019 Sorento 3.3L vehicles may experience a malfunction indicator lamp ON with DTC P0741. To correct this concern, apply the improved logic to the TCU using the KDS ECU." So I guess they felt it was something with the trans software. But driving home, same thing. I had not been driving in stop and go until going home and I realized same thing at idle, so how could it be transmission. I could feel the slight shuddering through the brake pedal and seat. I've been driving for 50 year, I know when a car is running rough. Can really feel it when accelerate. Not happy, don't see how the tech could not feel it. In the old days they used to say put in a can of drygas on the next couple of fill up since maybe you got some water in the gas.

Same issue. 2019 Sorento EX V6, the 8 speed. 3500 miles, noticed the stumbling, "missing" feeling. But also at idle, I can feel it through my foot on the brake pedal and through my butt on the seat, at all speeds, all modes, is subtle. Just started, I note some comments on AC, I have not tried shutting it off, maybe temperature related? Today they reset the software of the transmission. No help at all. "Performed Adaptive Valve Relearn Procedure." "Procedure to improve logic of Transmission Control Unit software...."

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6 AWD
19 Posts
I just posted on this, I searched for rough engine running and found nothing, I brought mine in today, they said it was transmission also. Thing is, mine does it at idle also, did not start doing it until about 3500 miles. Does it in all modes.

Since I don't see how to edit my post, here is my post of today with the statement of what they did, mine is a 2019 Sorento EX V6: "Performed ATM adaptive valve relearn procedure, tested & vehicle operated as designed." And "procedure to improve logic of the Transmission Control Unit software on some 2019 Sorento 3.3L vehicles may experience a malfunction indicator lamp ON with DTC P0741. To correct this concern, apply the improved logic to the TCU using the KDS ECU."

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6 AWD
19 Posts
Since I don't see how to edit my post, here is my post of today with the statement of what they did, mine is a 2019 Sorento EX V6: "Performed ATM adaptive valve relearn procedure, tested & vehicle operated as designed." And "procedure to improve logic of the Transmission Control Unit software on some 2019 Sorento 3.3L vehicles may experience a malfunction indicator lamp ON with DTC P0741. To correct this concern, apply the improved logic to the TCU using the KDS ECU."

41 - 60 of 193 Posts