Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX 3.3
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rims that came with my 2019 SX have plastic inserts attached - I think this is true for the SXL also.

Do these inserts have any purpose other than catching and trapping dirt and brake dust?
I wonder if they damp resonances in the aluminum alloy wheels, giving a quieter ride. I doubt that they provide any added strength or protection.

Does anyone know if they can be removed without voiding the warranty?
Will the lug nuts still fit without the plastic standoff? The plastic must be quite strong to take the proper torquing of the nuts.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
319 Posts
Are you saying there are spacers to correct the offset of the wheel? That would make me think the dealer swapped wheels out on you, can't imagine a manufacturer specifying a wheel that then needed correction to offset properly - the liability risk alone would seem to be extreme. Maybe you're talking about something entirely different. These are pretty common in the aftermarket wheel world, both for offset and to actually go into the hub of the wheel to correct the fit of the wheel on the hub (those are really, really cheap wheels that I wouldn't have on a car).

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
801 Posts
If you are talking about the darker parts they are part of the wheel and do not come off. Are you sure they are plastic? They look the same as the 19" wheels I had on my 2016 SX and pretty certain they were NOT plastic, just painted.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento sx 2.0T
266 Posts
Only held on by a couple of screws on the back. Yes they are plastic.Painted mine black since the grey didn't match anything. Leaving them off looks like a part is missing on the rims due to the screw holes and shape of slots that the plastic pieces sit in.Does not look good without them.Cosmetic only.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
801 Posts
Only held on by a couple of screws on the back. Yes they are plastic.Painted mine black since the grey didn't match anything. Leaving them off looks like a part is missing on the rims due to the screw holes and shape of slots that the plastic pieces sit in.Does not look good without them.Cosmetic only.
OK, so it's a trim piece and you just screwed up your wheels.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX 3.3
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i still dont understand what you are talking about.
This photo should how the difference --
The small space between the spokes is all metal rim.
The large space is filled in with a textured piece of plastic.

A bigger PITA than I had imagined to get these clean. The crud sticks in the groove between the edge of the plastic and the metal spoke.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Sorento sx 2.0T
266 Posts
This photo should how the difference --
The small space between the spokes is all metal rim.
The large space is filled in with a textured piece of plastic.

A bigger PITA than I had imagined to get these clean. The crud sticks in the groove between the edge of the plastic and the metal spoke.
I here ya about the crud.Is that a pic of your rim or just 2019 in general?.Mine were just plain gray,not patterned.Looks wrapped.Nice:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX 3.3
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is a pic of my rims, after washing in a DIY car wash, then rewashing and waxing at home.
They will never look that good again...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts