Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new 2019 Sorento EX. My wife and I noticed shortly after receiving car that the transmission hesitates while accelerating. Have had it back to dealer and they just say it’s a Kia thing. They sure was quick to take my money. I believe I will contact a lemon law attorney at this point. By the way it was recalled to reprogram the transmission but I believe it has gotten worse. Buyer beware.

·
Super Moderator
9,494 Posts
I bought a new 2019 Sorento EX. My wife and I noticed shortly after receiving car that the transmission hesitates while accelerating. Have had it back to dealer and they just say it’s a Kia thing. They sure was quick to take my money. I believe I will contact a lemon law attorney at this point. By the way it was recalled to reprogram the transmission but I believe it has gotten worse. Buyer beware.
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

·
Registered
1 Posts

I just had PowerTrain Failure with my 2019 Sorento with only 19k miles. (Bad Intake Manifold). Noticed a huge difference in how it accelerates and MPG ever since.
-Alissia Lehigh Acres, Florida

·
Registered
3 Posts
2019 Sorento LX V6 AWD with the same issue. Stumbles horribly through the low gears during acceleration until hitting ~45-50mph:
  • Most notable on cold start-up (after sitting several hours or overnight). After engine warmup the effect begins to moderate, though it remains present at all times.
  • Worse in Eco and Comfort drive modes.
  • Effect is not only apparent during acceleration, but upon deceleration as well.
I've not seen anyone noting the presence of the behavior described in the final bullet. When braking for a stop sign, and between 20->10mph, the car surged forward as if someone slammed on the gas. Scared the bageebies out of me the first time it occurred, as the car jumped ahead 3-6ft. Luckily there was nobody in front of me; if there had been, an accident would have been the likely result. As with the acceleration issue, the deceleration surge is worse when the engine is cold. It moderates as the engine warms, but is always present. The acceleration/deceleration issues are unsafe and unacceptable behavior for a vehicle, and I'll be reporting it to NHTSA. For those on the forum with similar transmission issues who haven't reported it, please do so. This is obviously a widespread problem; the more owners that report it, the more likely something will be done sooner rather than later. For convenience, here's the NHTSA link to report complaints:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Add me to your list of those that have the hesitation in the transmission response. Something is definitley wrong with the shift programing for these transmissions. Aggravating at the least. Haven't experienced any instances of accelerations.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Add me to your list of those that have the hesitation in the transmission response. Something is definitley wrong with the shift programing for these transmissions. Aggravating at the least. Haven't experienced any instances of accelerations.
Our 2019 Sorento SX also exhibits the frequent hesitation during 20-30 mph acceleration.Patiently waiting for Kia to resolve this abnormal issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi - Is this only with the V6 , 8 speed auto transmissions, we have a 4cyl and 6 speed auto? My wife mentioned something about hesitation while we were driving last night. We figured it was a just getting use to the new car thing. We will be keeping an eye on it either way.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Modern transmissions are electronically controlled. To protect internal transmission components manufacturers closely control the engine during upshifts and downshifts. During a ratio change (transmission shift) the engine controller will 'pull' (shut down) spark advance and reduce throttle plate opening. In essence it feels like the transmission is hesitating, but in reality its the engine you feel.

That said let's look at the two modes a engine operates in. Open loop and closed loop. Open loop occurs during first start up and lasts for ~20 seconds or so. In this mode none of the sensors are fully talking to one another and the engine operation is in a safe operation mode. Once everything warms up the engine controller switches to closed loop, in which all sensors are fully operational and all the algorithms in the computer are fully being utilized.

If you are the type who twists the key and your off and running, you may be in open loop and feeling its effects.

I don't recall anyone stating their hesitation issue stayed or disappeared once the vehicle fully warmed up?

And, its possible the engine management system is way to conservative in the way it is protecting the transmission. A reflash and calibration change to software would correct this problem.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't recall anyone stating their hesitation issue stayed or disappeared once the vehicle fully warmed up?

And, its possible the engine management system is way to conservative in the way it is protecting the transmission. A reflash and calibration change to software would correct this problem.....
Mine is there all the time; may actually be worse after warmup

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2019 Sorento V6 AWD with about 14K miles. I only bought it about two months ago and noticed some shift/acceleration issues soon thereafter. Primarily at low RPM, part throttle applications, regardless of speed. I had the dealer reprogram the transmission logic, per a TSB, which helped to some extent, but there was still an engine stumble. I tried a BG fuel system cleaner for GDI motors which further reduced, but didn’t eliminate the hesitation. For the last five fill-ups I’ve used strictly ethanol free premium (top tier of course) with an isopropyl gas line antifreeze (Iso-heat) figuring there was water in the system. Gradually I saw improvement. I can happily say my Sorento now operates seamlessly. Butter smooth transmission shifts and no hesitation or stumble. Definitely worth a shot if my problems sound familiar.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I was at the dealer for some minor bumper work needed after they replaced my headlight a few months ago. A little loose, slightly popped on one edge.

While there, they updated for the transmission problem some have reported.

Only difference I've noticed is that it has fixed the rough first time shift from 1 to 2 that always happened after a cold start. Transmission still shifts and works perfectly as before the update.

I do think it has more engine braking after lifting off the accelerator when in 'sport' than it did before.

·
Registered
119 Posts
A few days ago I took my 19EX in for its second oil change and to also try and isolate & fix basically the same engine stumble/hesitation/misfire issue noted above by Cady2 as well as many others. They reset the ETC "adaptive values", we'll see what if anything that does but that's another thread entirely.

While there, I presented the service adviser with a copy of TBS SA387, 3.3 GDI 8AT TCU
LOGIC IMPROVEMENT. He indicated to me that this particular TBS was a "recall" notice, implying it's not just a routine TBS. I don't know how to confirm that one way or the other but I've attached it here for others of you who might not be familiar with it, if applied maybe it'll take care of some your transmission problem/s.

We didn't do it on mine because of the "reset" mentioned above and we figured it's just better to keep it at one problem at a time. And I'm not sure mine has a transmission issue at all, it feels like it's more engine related.
Anyway, hope this helps someone out there & good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
832 Posts
TRA-082 is just a regular 'mandatory' TSB. Had it been a true recall, you would have received prior notification to bring your vehicle to the dealer for the fix.

Notice that is says "A Service Action is a repair program without customer notification that is performed during the warranty period".

Essentially, it's a TSB that describes an action that any dealer is expected to perform if/when they see your vehicle in the shop during warranty, with or without any complaint from the you about any symptomatic behavior. Think of it as a 'preventive maintenance' TSB. It has been released specifically to deal with a condition that could light the MIL and pop a P0741 code (indicating that the torque converter lock is misbehaving).

·
Registered
832 Posts
Was only commenting that the service rep misrepresented the nature of the bulletin.

1) There are 'If someone complains about it' TSBs. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, but here's how to go about it if you need to.
2) There are 'Do this if you see a vehicle in your shop that hasn't had it done' TSBs. We normally wouldn't insist, but the bean counters say it'll save us money in the long run.
3) There are recalls for which you'll get direct notification from the company to bring the vehicle in. Typically, the government made us do it.

He seemed to be confusing #2 and #3.

·
Registered
130 Posts
TRA-082 is just a regular 'mandatory' TSB. Had it been a true recall, you would have received prior notification to bring your vehicle to the dealer for the fix.

Notice that is says "A Service Action is a repair program without customer notification that is performed during the warranty period".

Essentially, it's a TSB that describes an action that any dealer is expected to perform if/when they see your vehicle in the shop during warranty, with or without any complaint from the you about any symptomatic behavior. Think of it as a 'preventive maintenance' TSB. It has been released specifically to deal with a condition that could light the MIL and pop a P0741 code (indicating that the torque converter lock is misbehaving).
So far so good with our 2019 Sportage SX Turbo with AWD and DI engine.(2.0L) knock on wood......

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2019 Sorento V6 AWD with about 14K miles. I only bought it about two months ago and noticed some shift/acceleration issues soon thereafter. Primarily at low RPM, part throttle applications, regardless of speed. I had the dealer reprogram the transmission logic, per a TSB, which helped to some extent, but there was still an engine stumble. I tried a BG fuel system cleaner for GDI motors which further reduced, but didn’t eliminate the hesitation. For the last five fill-ups I’ve used strictly ethanol free premium (top tier of course) with an isopropyl gas line antifreeze (Iso-heat) figuring there was water in the system. Gradually I saw improvement. I can happily say my Sorento now operates seamlessly. Butter smooth transmission shifts and no hesitation or stumble. Definitely worth a shot if my problems sound familiar.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
So after running all that fine methanol free fuel, I tried a tank of mid grade 10% ethanol fuel, well within requirements, and right back to stumbling. After a half tank, I topped it off with ethanol free premium, and Bam, silky smooth operation once again. Begin to think Kia messed up somewhere with their fuel delivery system and installed something ethanol intolerant . Has anyone out there tried ethanol free, and if so, how’d that work out for ya?

·
Registered
130 Posts
So after running all that fine methanol free fuel, I tried a tank of mid grade 10% ethanol fuel, well within requirements, and right back to stumbling. After a half tank, I topped it off with ethanol free premium, and Bam, silky smooth operation once again. Begin to think Kia messed up somewhere with their fuel delivery system and installed something ethanol intolerant . Has anyone out there tried ethanol free, and if so, how’d that work out for ya?
Or, is it possible the local fuel producer is adding higher than the 10% ethanol specified or higher than specified additive packs? This scenario has happened in the past with similar drivability issues.....

·
Registered
119 Posts

Yeah, when I posted it, I did say that it’s not advertised to treat this issue. Are there any 2019 owners completely satisfied with their transmissions?
I didn't really much believe the service rep. but didn't have time to argue with him. I've always understood that with a "recall" you'll get (or suppose too get) a "recall" notice. I just posted the TSB again here for anyone who thinks their vehicle might need it.

As for the ETC adaptive reset I mentioned above, not much help with the "stumble/hesitation" that I can tell, although I do think it might have improved throttle response/crispness at little, even in ECO mode!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts