Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new 2019 Sorento EX. My wife and I noticed shortly after receiving car that the transmission hesitates while accelerating. Have had it back to dealer and they just say it’s a Kia thing. They sure was quick to take my money. I believe I will contact a lemon law attorney at this point. By the way it was recalled to reprogram the transmission but I believe it has gotten worse. Buyer beware.

·
Super Moderator
9,189 Posts
I bought a new 2019 Sorento EX. My wife and I noticed shortly after receiving car that the transmission hesitates while accelerating. Have had it back to dealer and they just say it’s a Kia thing. They sure was quick to take my money. I believe I will contact a lemon law attorney at this point. By the way it was recalled to reprogram the transmission but I believe it has gotten worse. Buyer beware.
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

·
Registered
1 Posts

I just had PowerTrain Failure with my 2019 Sorento with only 19k miles. (Bad Intake Manifold). Noticed a huge difference in how it accelerates and MPG ever since.
-Alissia Lehigh Acres, Florida

·
Registered
3 Posts
I noticed the same transmission hesitation problem. I have 6500 miles on my 2019 Sorento EX.
When I took it to the dealer for an oil change I told them about the hesitation especially in ECO and SMART modes.
Sometimes it hesitates initially from a stopped position but the real concern it hesitates after you pull into an intersection which is very dangerous because it prevents you from driving away from oncoming traffic. This is a huge safety problem.
I mentioned this to two Kia employees and they said that they had the same problem with their Optima transmissions..
The service department said they checked my vehicle and did not find a problem but they “reset” the transmission computer. It did NOT fix the problem.
I have already reported this to Consumer Reports and I will report it to the NHTSA | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration!

·
Super Moderator
9,189 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
2019 Sorento LX V6 AWD with the same issue. Stumbles horribly through the low gears during acceleration until hitting ~45-50mph:
  • Most notable on cold start-up (after sitting several hours or overnight). After engine warmup the effect begins to moderate, though it remains present at all times.
  • Worse in Eco and Comfort drive modes.
  • Effect is not only apparent during acceleration, but upon deceleration as well.
I've not seen anyone noting the presence of the behavior described in the final bullet. When braking for a stop sign, and between 20->10mph, the car surged forward as if someone slammed on the gas. Scared the bageebies out of me the first time it occurred, as the car jumped ahead 3-6ft. Luckily there was nobody in front of me; if there had been, an accident would have been the likely result. As with the acceleration issue, the deceleration surge is worse when the engine is cold. It moderates as the engine warms, but is always present. The acceleration/deceleration issues are unsafe and unacceptable behavior for a vehicle, and I'll be reporting it to NHTSA. For those on the forum with similar transmission issues who haven't reported it, please do so. This is obviously a widespread problem; the more owners that report it, the more likely something will be done sooner rather than later. For convenience, here's the NHTSA link to report complaints:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Add me to your list of those that have the hesitation in the transmission response. Something is definitley wrong with the shift programing for these transmissions. Aggravating at the least. Haven't experienced any instances of accelerations.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Add me to your list of those that have the hesitation in the transmission response. Something is definitley wrong with the shift programing for these transmissions. Aggravating at the least. Haven't experienced any instances of accelerations.
Our 2019 Sorento SX also exhibits the frequent hesitation during 20-30 mph acceleration.Patiently waiting for Kia to resolve this abnormal issue.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi - Is this only with the V6 , 8 speed auto transmissions, we have a 4cyl and 6 speed auto? My wife mentioned something about hesitation while we were driving last night. We figured it was a just getting use to the new car thing. We will be keeping an eye on it either way.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Modern transmissions are electronically controlled. To protect internal transmission components manufacturers closely control the engine during upshifts and downshifts. During a ratio change (transmission shift) the engine controller will 'pull' (shut down) spark advance and reduce throttle plate opening. In essence it feels like the transmission is hesitating, but in reality its the engine you feel.

That said let's look at the two modes a engine operates in. Open loop and closed loop. Open loop occurs during first start up and lasts for ~20 seconds or so. In this mode none of the sensors are fully talking to one another and the engine operation is in a safe operation mode. Once everything warms up the engine controller switches to closed loop, in which all sensors are fully operational and all the algorithms in the computer are fully being utilized.

If you are the type who twists the key and your off and running, you may be in open loop and feeling its effects.

I don't recall anyone stating their hesitation issue stayed or disappeared once the vehicle fully warmed up?

And, its possible the engine management system is way to conservative in the way it is protecting the transmission. A reflash and calibration change to software would correct this problem.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't recall anyone stating their hesitation issue stayed or disappeared once the vehicle fully warmed up?

And, its possible the engine management system is way to conservative in the way it is protecting the transmission. A reflash and calibration change to software would correct this problem.....
Mine is there all the time; may actually be worse after warmup

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2019 Sorento V6 AWD with about 14K miles. I only bought it about two months ago and noticed some shift/acceleration issues soon thereafter. Primarily at low RPM, part throttle applications, regardless of speed. I had the dealer reprogram the transmission logic, per a TSB, which helped to some extent, but there was still an engine stumble. I tried a BG fuel system cleaner for GDI motors which further reduced, but didn’t eliminate the hesitation. For the last five fill-ups I’ve used strictly ethanol free premium (top tier of course) with an isopropyl gas line antifreeze (Iso-heat) figuring there was water in the system. Gradually I saw improvement. I can happily say my Sorento now operates seamlessly. Butter smooth transmission shifts and no hesitation or stumble. Definitely worth a shot if my problems sound familiar.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
10 Participants
Tigoat
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing