Kia Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX 3.3
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I lubricated mine bearing and after two weeks the noise is almost gone away and it's becoming quieter every day while I'm waiting for the dealership to replace my steering column..
I hope they replaced mine with upgrade, not same as factory, I don't want to have to go through this again. I finally had to call engineering myself after the dealer had my car for two weeks.

·
Registered
Sorento 2019, EX V6 Premium AWD
67 Posts
I hope they replaced mine with upgrade, not same as factory, I don't want to have to go through this again. I finally had to call engineering myself after the dealer had my car for two weeks.
There is no upgrade with the new part unfortunately :( still the same poorly made bearing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
That sucks
I will replace this beaing if the issue comes back after column replacement. You can get NSK, Koyo or SKF bearing for approx $20-30 and forget about this issue forever... Replacement is not that complicated, the only issue is to buy specific KIA tool (to remove warm gear shaft) with the right size.. They come with three different sizes depends on a car model.. Which one is for Sorento is still a question....

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX 3.3
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I will replace this beaing if the issue comes back after column replacement. You can get NSK, Koyo or SKF bearing for approx $20-30 and forget about this issue forever... Replacement is not that complicated, the only issue is to buy specific KIA tool (to remove warm gear shaft) with the right size.. They come with three different sizes depends on a car model.. Which one is for Sorento is still a question....
Thanks

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento LX
6 Posts
This past weekend I purchased a 2019 Kia Sorento LX, certified pre-owned (36K miles). I've had it 4 days and I notice this exact issue with the steering. It's like a rubbing sound. I did not hear it in the test drive, but I only hear it when I'm backing/turning out of parking spaces, which isn't something I did on the test drive! I have printed out the service bulletin, but after reading it, I'm not sure which part of it applies to this issue. I just want to seem like I know what I am talking about when I take it to the dealer later this week! I've read through this thread and am I understanding that it's going to require complete replacement of the steering column? Or is it a lubrication issue? Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento LX
6 Posts
Welp, I’ve got 17k miles and the steering wheel is making the rubbing sound described here. It’s such a coincidence, I noticed it over the weekend and was wondering what it was, then this thread came up. Thanks guys!
Did you get it fixed? What did you tell the dealer when you went in, and what did they say? I am going to have to take mine in for this (I just bought it certified pre-owned over the weekend!) so I want to be prepared when I go in. I absolutely hate being THAT person (woman) who goes in because "the car is making a funny sound." ..... except....in this case, the car IS making a funny sound!

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento LX
6 Posts
Dealer update -- they say the sound is the "clock spring" in the steering wheel. They are ordering the part and I am supposed to take the car in for the repair soon.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Dealer update -- they say the sound is the "clock spring" in the steering wheel...
BS. It's not a clock spring. Dealer tried to sell it to me as well. Never seen and never heard that the clock spring on this car is a problem but the bearing on the steering column is. There is even TSB about it.. More over my steering column has been replaced a few days ago and Ive checked the bearing in it and found that KIA upgraded it. The new bearing is 626 DSD 28 made in Thailand. The old one was 626z made China.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,162 Posts
I can't even see my ESP system with all the equipment up top, battery included. No way, I'll just have to assume its on the Rack itself as it doesn't seem plausible to be on the shaft given there is not space.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I can't even see my ESP system with all the equipment up top, battery included. No way, I'll just have to assume its on the Rack itself as it doesn't seem plausible to be on the shaft given there is not space.
They started installing a new type steering column with electric power steering starting from 2018 or 2019. Your car is 2015 so you have power steering on the rack..

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,162 Posts
They started installing a new type steering column with electric power steering starting from 2018 or 2019. Your car is 2015 so you have power steering on the rack..
Nahh, check the signature. I also have a 2019, slip of the eye ball there. LOL

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento LX
6 Posts
BS. It's not a clock spring. Dealer tried to sell it to me as well. Never seen and never heard that the clock spring on this car is a problem but the bearing on the steering column is. There is even TSB about it.. More over my steering column has been replaced a few days ago and Ive checked the bearing in it and found that KIA upgraded it. The new bearing is 626 DSD 28 made in Thailand. The old one was 626z made China.
You're so right, I left my car with the dealer all day only to pick it up at the end of the day to be told it wasn't the clockspring, but another part, "further down the steering column." Which of course they have to order, no ETA in sight for when it will come in. Gentle readers, I told them this (and gave them a copy of the TSB) weeks ago, but they assured me there was "no way" it was that. They offered the clockspring solution only after trying to convince me that the noise itself was "normal" but realizing I wasn't backing down.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ha ha looks like they all repeat to everyone the same bs :).. Make sure they ordered steering column assembly not just a new warm shaft with bearings. I had a fun with them after they replaced the steering column assembly and failed on every aspect of their job.. The steering wheel was off centered, the driver air bag light on the dash.. They told me that the teeth on the new column are different and they couldn't position the steering wheel properly. I was also told that they broke the clock spring when they were assembling the car which caused the issue with the air bag but the good news they ordered a new one... Well I fixed it all myself.. Nothing has been broken and no difference in teeth between the old and new columns. I spent just 20 mins to properly align the steering wheel and also found airbag connector loose. I've never seen such unprofessional and poorly done work before...

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX 3.3
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Ha ha looks like they all repeat to everyone the same bs :).. Make sure they ordered steering column assembly not just a new warm shaft with bearings. I had a fun with them after they replaced the steering column assembly and failed on every aspect of their job.. The steering wheel was off centered, the driver air bag light on the dash.. They told me that the teeth on the new column are different and they couldn't position the steering wheel properly. I was also told that they broke the clock spring when they were assembling the car which caused the issue with the air bag but the good news they ordered a new one... Well I fixed it all myself.. Nothing has been broken and no difference in teeth between the old and new columns. I spent just 20 mins to properly align the steering wheel and also found airbag connector loose. I've never seen such unprofessional and poorly done work before...
The same at my dealership, they didn't have much of a clue what they were doing. I finally called engineering and they got the parts shipped to the dealer after two weeks.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento LX
6 Posts
I purchased this vehicle certified pre-owned in September so it's fully under warranty, and I WILL make them get it right. They also need to address the engine "stuttering" that is apparently a software update -- sent them the TSB on that one via e-mail so they can't ignore it. This time I am going to make them give me a loaner car as well because I'm still salty about them keeping my car all day and doing absolutely nothing on it, while I had to get a ride to and from work via their shuttle. They may rue the day they sold me this car....(I know I already do!)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Can you share a tsb for the engine stuttering? Does you car have V6?

41 - 58 of 58 Posts