Kia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX V6 AWD, 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, 2002 Honda S2000
122 Posts
Wow! You must really love Sorentos to buy a 2016 and a 2019!

I have heard of more issues with the 2019... that is really odd. One would think it's the brand new model at 2016 would have more problems than the 2019 version...

Anyway, glad your issue is resolved. Hopefully it's a rare issue that's why your dealership doesn't even know what to do! ;)

·
Registered
Sorento 2019, EX V6 Premium AWD
67 Posts
2019 Sorento EX 3.3 with 29K, Recently I have noticed a grinding when turning the steering wheel in either direction. The noise sounds like its coming from underneath the steering wheel, and ideas?. I don't think I am covered under warranty, being the 2nd owner.
I have the same issue with my EX. The issue is the bearing on the shaft of the electric motor of the column.
This is common issue accross all KIA/Hyundai with identical type of steering column. Just poor quality of the bearing.
Check the picture I've attached, if you remove that cap you will see the bearing which you can spin with your finger. If you try to spin it you will feel that it doesn't spin smoothly (not sure how to explain, English is my second language). It's a closed type of the bearing so it's hard to lubricate it.

Here is my explanation of why this issue starts happening on 2019-2020 models only, might be mistaken. Starting from 2019 KIA started supplying two different types of steering systems. Electric steering column and electric steering rack. They install first type to lower trims from Base to EX and the second type were designed for more expensive ones such as SX and SXL.. If I am not mistaken before 2019 all Sorentos were equipied with electric steering rack. The only electic steering column has this issue, electic steering rack doesn't have it.

How to indetify which type you have installed. Just look under the dash and if you see something similar to the pics I've attached then you have problematic electric steering column.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
I hope this is not a common problem. So far my 2017 doesn't have such issues, but to see the 2019/2020 models having these issues is kinda weird. Surely they'd have all these bugs and issues resolved by then? May just be some sort of rare manufacturing defect. I hope...
It's not unit based issue. Check my previous post. BTW my dealer told me the same, this is a very unique issue :)))) but this is not true. It's common for this type of steering column. It's just depends on how lucky you are. Some people have it at 60K kms, some just at 7K. I got my issue at 27K kms. And keep in mind if they changed it starting from 2019 models then those cars are still relatively new so we should start seeing more and more complaints in future.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mine is 2017 SX, so chances are, I won't have a problem or should be 'luckier' with my steering column?
If I am not mistaken you won't have this problem..

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
445 Posts
Thanks for this, my 2019 SXL brochure actually touted it's 'better' power steering system but was not clear about the details. Seems I recall it stated something was upper rather than lower mounted.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for this, my 2019 SXL brochure actually touted it's 'better' power steering system but was not clear about the details. Seems I recall it stated something was upper rather than lower mounted.
SXL has lower mounted power steering (on the steering rack). my EX has upper mounted on the steering column. Your system is better. Check attached pic, this is from sorento 2016, no power steering on the column.. I am assuming that SXL has something similar.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
The model of the bearing that causing this issue is 626Z. This is a radial ball type bearing, here is the link for NSK on Amazon : NSK 626Z The question is How to replace it? It seems that you need some tiny puller to remove the bearing from the shaft..

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,947 Posts
If it's a press fit, getting it out of that cavity (per photo 3 in post #22) could be a challenge without an unusually small bearing puller.

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
569 Posts
Evgen, It's Called a 'thin clawed' gear bearing puller, my standard 3 inch (228 mm) 3 jaw puller has a claw horizontal width of 18 mm. That looks too large for your requirements. Depending on the size puller I'm guessing the thin claws run about 10 mm width on the smaller 2 jaw pullers. I'm guessing as I do not have access to a thin claw setup. How much clearance do you have between to outer bearing surface and the housing. Also a 'good' engine machine shop should have something that works, even if they have to cut it off the outer race of the bearing and then use a puller to remove the pressed on inner sleeve, w/o damaging the shaft.

Here is an example, if you alter the last picture with measurements to fit a ruler scale it can give you a approximation of the claw dimensions of thin clawed pullers. TOPWAY 2 Arms Special Thin Claws Mini Gear Bearings Puller Extractor 3" 75 | eBay

Reactions: Zep

·
Registered
67 Posts
Evgen, It's Called a 'thin clawed' gear bearing puller, my standard 3 inch (228 mm) 3 jaw puller has a claw horizontal width of 18 mm. That looks too large for your requirements. ...
Thanks for pointing me out.. but I've found TSB regarding this issue. So if anyone has this issue and dealer keeps telling you that this sound is normal then just show this TSB. Based on it they replace warm gear assembly with both bearings. Part number 56351F6AAAFFF and you can get it from ebay for $100 approx. The only issue is you still need to have a specific tool to loosen and tighten the warm gear shaft if you still prefer DIY. It's all descrbed in TSB_CHA084_R6

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX 3.3
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I have the same issue with my EX. The issue is the bearing on the shaft of the electric motor of the column.
This is common issue accross all KIA/Hyundai with identical type of steering column. Just poor quality of the bearing.
Check the picture I've attached, if you remove that cap you will see the bearing which you can spin with your finger. If you try to spin it you will feel that it doesn't spin smoothly (not sure how to explain, English is my second language). It's a closed type of the bearing so it's hard to lubricate it.

Here is my explanation of why this issue starts happening on 2019-2020 models only, might be mistaken. Starting from 2019 KIA started supplying two different types of steering systems. Electric steering column and electric steering rack. They install first type to lower trims from Base to EX and the second type were designed for more expensive ones such as SX and SXL.. If I am not mistaken before 2019 all Sorentos were equipied with electric steering rack. The only electic steering column has this issue, electic steering rack doesn't have it.

How to indetify which type you have installed. Just look under the dash and if you see something similar to the pics I've attached then you have problematic electric steering column.

How to indetify which type you have installed. Just look under the dash and if you see something similar to the pics I've attached then you have problematic electric st

Thanks Evgen for the information.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm trying to fix mine. If I have a success I will share the recipe.. The issue is lack of lubricant... The bearing is 626z with single shield which means you can still lubricate it from the top..

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,947 Posts
If it's not a really ugly press fit, for just couple of bucks (literally) you could just replace it rather than re-lubing one that might have grown tired due to 'lack of lubricant'.
or you could step up with an NTN or NSK.

It's not like these are ever going to be running at high speed. Just about any brand should suffice.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If it's not a really ugly press fit, for just couple of bucks (literally) you could just replace it rather than re-lubing one that might have grown tired due to 'lack of lubricant'.
or you could step up with an NTN or NSK.

It's not like these are ever going to be running at high speed. Just about any brand should suffice.
Agree, the only big issue with the replacement is how to install the bearing back in place to not damage anything in steering column. To disassemble steering column you need specific KIA warm shaft loosen tool, which you can also buy, but it comes with three different sizes and I was not able to find which one fits Sorento...

·
Registered
2019 KIA Sorento GT
4 Posts
Hello, I have a 2019 Sorento GT and the steering sticks when going around long sweeping bends, its like its in a notch,
it does it around tighter bends but the caster angle brings it back but you can feel it,
Any one heard of this fault, taken back to dealer twice now and they cant fault it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hello, I have a 2019 Sorento GT and the steering sticks when going around long sweeping bends, its like its in a notch,
it does it around tighter bends but the caster angle brings it back but you can feel it,
Any one heard of this fault, taken back to dealer twice now and they cant fault it.
There's is a TSB for Sorento with power steering on steering rack with exactly the same issue as you described.. Can you confirm that your car has this type of steering system?

·
Registered
2019 KIA Sorento GT
4 Posts
There's is a TSB for Sorento with power steering on steering rack with exactly the same issue as you described.. Can you confirm that your car has this type of steering system?
Hello,
I know its electric steering,
There is an electric motor on the column, looks like a windscreen wiper motor

Would you be able to supply a link to the TSB ?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hello,
I know its electric steering,
There is an electric motor on the column, looks like a windscreen wiper motor

Would you be able to supply a link to the TSB ?
For the steering system with power steering column there is no TSP for the issue you described I am not aware of. Here is the link for the steering TSBs for Sorento 2019 2019 Kia Sorento TSBs | CarComplaints.com

Question, does your column make any rubbing noise when you spin the steering wheel? If yes, then mostlikely you have the issue with 626z bearing on the warm gear shaft of the power steering. That bearing can cause your issue as well.

This is common issue for this type of column across multiple KIA models. On the link above you can find all the information about it. Based on TSB, KIA replaces warm shaft assembly with both bearings but the actual issue is just a smaller one which is poor made chinese 626z (with single shield) bearing.

Here is also my post about my issue Rubbing noise from steering column, KIA Sorento 2019 It's in Russian but pictures are pretty self-explanined. Let me know if you have any other questions..

·
Registered
2020 Sorento LX AWD 2.4, 2017 Sedona LX+, and 2007 Acura TSX w/Navi
12 Posts
Welp, I’ve got 17k miles and the steering wheel is making the rubbing sound described here. It’s such a coincidence, I noticed it over the weekend and was wondering what it was, then this thread came up. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Welp, I’ve got 17k miles and the steering wheel is making the rubbing sound described here. It’s such a coincidence, I noticed it over the weekend and was wondering what it was, then this thread came up. Thanks guys!
I lubricated mine bearing and after two weeks the noise is almost gone away and it's becoming quieter every day while I'm waiting for the dealership to replace my steering column..

21 - 40 of 58 Posts