Kia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX 3.3
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 Sorento EX 3.3 with 29K, Recently I have noticed a grinding when turning the steering wheel in either direction. The noise sounds like its coming from underneath the steering wheel, and ideas?. I don't think I am covered under warranty, being the 2nd owner.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX 3.3
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are if it's still within 60k miles.
You are correct! It is confusing the way its explained for second owner. It says 10 yr / 100k limited powertrain warranty is transferred to a 5 yr / 60k limited powertrain warranty. It also says steering is not considered part of the powertrain. I checked with service manager this morning he says that I am covered. Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
2018 Sorento LX 2.4 FWD; 2009 Borrego LX V6 RWD
247 Posts
Most likely worn out front strut mounts.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento LX 3.3L V6 AWD
8 Posts
I hear a rubbing sound maybe from the steering column when turning the wheel. 18K on my 2019 LX.
Worn strut mounts? For real?

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX 3.3
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took my 2019 Sorento EX 30k to dealer yesterday with grinding noise in steering. They replaced worm shaft assemble and now it is extremely heard to steer. The tech agreed, said he installed according factor specs and to drive it a month to see if it loosens back to normal if not to bring it back in. Anybody ever heard of this?

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
812 Posts
It amazes me the untruths that will come out of a technicians mouth. Every new Kia produced comes with a brand new steering system and none of them are hard to steer and don't need a month of driving to loosen up. Installed properly, the car would steer exactly like it did when new.

I would return, talk to the service department manager and if he/she won't assign a new, and more experienced, technician to the job, then go see the dealership general manager and if you still get nowhere, open up a case with Kia corporate. It's a safety issue and should be properly addressed before they let you drive that car one more mile.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
800 Posts
I gotta go with the previous reply, that's total BS! There's nothing that should "loosen up" by driving in the steering, things loosening up there are bad news!

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX 3.3
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I suspected that may be the case, what a bummer. I will be back at dealer in the morning. Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
2019 KIA Sorento AWD 2.2 CRDI
9 Posts
I wonder if they forgot to plug in one of the connectors on the electric power steering module. Not sure if it would throw a code or just be heavy steering if unplugged.

There are two connectors down low on the square box and one of those connects higher up on the round part of the steering assembly. Just look up under the dash above the brake pedal for a unplugged connector.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX 3.3
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update:
As you can see, I started this post a month ago. After the dealer spent several days trying to figure out what to do they decided put a worm gear in. As stated above, that fixed the grinding but created a tightness in the steering above 20mph. Then they contacted the tech support and they mulled over it a few days. They intern contacted engineering and they sat on a few days. So I called engineering in California and talked to two different people and they agreed to replace the complete steering assemble, that was last Thursday. Because of holiday weekend I picked up the vehicle today, finally. What a bitch!

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
812 Posts
That's a lot of hassle for what should have been a pretty straight forward diagnosis. Just glad you finally got it fixed the right way and thanks for the follow up, something that too many people forget to do.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,012 Posts
True what a hassle. Sound like the dealer was looking for a short cut. Its warranty so whats there problem in replacing it if its approved.

Good its done and you're driving again.

Reactions: tomusa

·
Registered
2018 Sorento EX w/tech Sangria & stone beige
8 Posts
I have noticed a grinding when turning the steering wheel in either direction.
I have this, but I would not call it a grinding sound. It's more like a heavy brushing/contact sound in the steering wheel. I'm not concerned. Should I be?

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,012 Posts
You should have it checked out. Loose your steering could mean loosing your life. We don't know. Check it out asap

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX 3.3
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have this, but I would not call it a grinding sound. It's more like a heavy brushing/contact sound in the steering wheel. I'm not concerned. Should I be?
As posted earlier, I would have it checked out mine got worse in a short period of time, like a month. Safety first!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts