Kia Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
713 Posts
General RT43s on my Sorento are excellent and with 30k miles nice and quiet.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have Kumho tires, and for sure they are way louder than other tires i have had in the past on other cars. It is sort of a whining noise. If they are anything like other factory tires I have had in the past, I won't have to be bothered by them for long, and will get something like Michelin for my next set of all seasons.
I had Kumho before and man they were noisy, after that, I changed the rim size from 17" to 19" and along with its tire brand also got changed to Hankook. I think they are a little bit less noisy than Kumaho but still, they are NOISY. Still not satisfied with the tire noise in the Cabin. Lots of time it feels like I am driving a car with all the windows open :)

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento LX AWD 2.4L / Titanium
66 Posts
My Hankook Dynapro's w/about 28k miles on them were starting to howl (again - 2nd set), so after reading this thread I just went and had a 4-wheel alignment done. The vehicle's got 69k miles on it, and the tires have been rotated diligently since installed. I took the car this week to the dealer to get the oil changed (decent special prices, and it's then in Kia's records!), and they confirmed that the alignment was jacked. I told them that I already had an appointment at Firestone for an all-wheel alignment the very next day (due to this thread!). IMPORTANT TIP: The dealership service mgr. (who I've known for at least 14 years) told me his tech recommends that when the rear camber is set on a Sorento - that the LOWEST number of the range be used when it's dialed in. Not being a mechanic, I can't vouch for the accuracy of that, but I'm just sharing what I was told. Any Kia techs on here that can confirm that advice - at least on the 2016+ Sorentos?

I'd also suggest that anyone who keeps their cars for a long time and who gets alignment and has a Firestone auto center near by - check out their 'Lifetime Alignment' policy. We've done that on two other vehicles in the past, and gotten at least 4-5 alignments done for the one-time cost of around $185. The cost on the Sorento this time was $183, using the Firestone card - which I'll pay off, but also comes with a 6-months same-as-cash policy, for those who want to break it up into a few payments. If you keep your cars a long time, and get control arm / strut work done, or drive on bomb-cratered roads like we do in Michigan - this is a GOOD deal! :)

-SM2016

·
Registered
2016 sorento ex v6 awd wisconsin
32 Posts
My Hankook Dynapro's w/about 28k miles on them were starting to howl (again - 2nd set), so after reading this thread I just went and had a 4-wheel alignment done. The vehicle's got 69k miles on it, and the tires have been rotated diligently since installed. Took the car first to the dealer where I get the oil changed (decent special prices, and it's then in Kia's records!), and they confirmed that the alignment was jacked. I told them that I already had an appointment at Firestone for an all-wheel alignment the very next day. IMPORTANT TIP: The dealership service mgr. (who I've known for at least 14 years) told me his tech recommends that when the rear camber is set on a Sorento - that the LOWEST number of the range be used when it's dialed in. Not being a mechanic, I can't vouch for the accuracy of that, but I'm just sharing what I was told. Any Kia techs on here that can confirm that advice - at least on the 2016+ Sorentos?

I'd also suggest that anyone who keeps their cars for a long time and who gets alignment and has a Firestone auto center near by - check out their 'Lifetime Alignment' policy. We've done that on two other vehicles in the past, and gotten at least 4-5 alignments done for the one-time cost of around $185. The cost on the Sorento this time was $183, using the Firestone card - which I'll pay off, but also comes with a 6-months same-as-cash policy, for those who want to break it up into a few payments. If you keep your cars a long time, and get control arm / strut work done, or drive on bomb-cratered roads like we do in Michigan - this is a GOOD deal! :)

-SM2016
Did it help with the tire noise.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento LX AWD 2.4L / Titanium
66 Posts
Did it help with the tire noise.
Sorry, LOL - I should have been more specific. Thanks for the question. The answer is - I don't know yet, since I just had it done on Wednesday of this week (10/15). I'll try to remember to give an update on this thread at some point. The tires have quite a bit of tread left, so I'm hoping that it will get better (fingers crossed)!

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,660 Posts
Unfortunately, once the tires are feathered from a rear camber misalignment, it can take nearly the rest of the life of the tire, whatever that is, to achieve a normal wear pattern again. Until that happens, which isn't likely if the problem has grown to where it's already annoying, the noise will continue. Just normalizing the alignment doesn't solve the wear issue on the tire that is making the noise. Sometimes shifting front/rear helps the perception of noise, but the wear issue remains.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio
166 Posts
I have found the Firestone Destination LE2 to be a very quiet tire. Excellent on the highway. I have used them on a 2005 F150 and a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. My experience with Kumho is that they are a very loud tire like others have mentioned.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
669 Posts
When getting an alignment, find a shop that will hit the numbers dead on - not within the wide range that most manufacturers provide. Usually shooting for the exact middle of the range and yes, it will take them a while to get it dialed in that way but the car will handle better than it ever has. The range provided by the manufacturers is just too wide - you can be at one extreme on the right front and the other extreme on the left front and you have a huge difference between the two while still being within range.

And if there is so much noise in the cabin that android auto can't understand commands, it's not tires IMO. Any chance the OP's car was in an accident at some point? Sounds like a door or the hatch is sprung to create that much noise.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,660 Posts
You should hear what it sounds like when bad rear camber has really chewed up the tires, Tom. It's pretty bad.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento
83 Posts
It's the tires. Our 2017 now has 30K on it and the tires are getting to be annoyingly loud. They are pretty much like Goodyear tires where they are only good for a year then they get hard and noisy and poor traction in anything but the dry. I plan on replacing our tires next year as they aren't far from being unsafe due to the traction going away so badly in the wet.

When i was a tech I would see cars all the time with a noise complaint and it is always always the tires. You can make the alignment way off and it will never sound anything like hard tires.
A few tips on tire buying. Don't buy tires with the longest treadwear warranty as they are the hardest rubber. Don't buy Goodyear as their nickname isn't Good for a year for nothing. Always buy the roadhazard warranty.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts