Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I Have around 25000 KM on my 2019 Kia Sorento EX 2.4 L and it has Kumho tires. I bought this car used. Compared to all my previous cars or SUV I think this SUV has more tire / road noise specifically from the rear tires. Sometimes I check all my windows thinking I have left one open. Tread depth is still pretty good on the tires.

I was wondering is this normal in the SUV or when the time comes should replace it with diff tire which will reduce tire road noise or I should get this checked out at the dealer?

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,064 Posts
You might want to check to see if there's been an issue with alignment on the rear. Not unusual to get a lot of road noise if the camber in the rear is off since it 'feathers' the tires.
Run your hand around the outer periphery of the tread of your rear tires in BOTH directions. If you notice a raised edge at each block when you run your hand in one direction, that will be the source of major noise.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
473 Posts
Keep your tire pressure at recommended psi.
Have the tires rotated, just back to front, no criss-cross, and see if that helps.
Have the tire balance checked (all 4), you may have lost a weight.
Follow ecanderson's advice!

·
Registered
2019 Sorento
55 Posts
Hi

I Have around 25000 KM on my 2019 Kia Sorento EX 2.4 L and it has Kumho tires. I bought this car used. Compared to all my previous cars or SUV I think this SUV has more tire / road noise specifically from the rear tires. Sometimes I check all my windows thinking I have left one open. Tread depth is still pretty good on the tires.

I was wondering is this normal in the SUV or when the time comes should replace it with diff tire which will reduce tire road noise or I should get this checked out at the dealer?
My Sorento came with Hankook tires and is very quiet with no noticeable tire/road noise. I had Kumho's on my Optima and I was disappointed with how fast they wore out.

·
Registered
2018 Sorento LX 2.4 FWD; 2009 Borrego LX V6 RWD
133 Posts
I have 33K miles on my OEM Kumho Crugens, and they emit noticeably more noise now than when new. But there is still plenty of tread left.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento ex premium
10 Posts
Hi, we tried out the EX 2.4 and found it to be very loud—both wind and road noise. Upon doing some research we learned that the v6 model has better soundproofing (floor and glass).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi, we tried out the EX 2.4 and found it to be very loud—both wind and road noise. Upon doing some research we learned that the v6 model has better soundproofing (floor and glass).
that is what my thought was and I think this 2.4L version is more for the rental market. BTW, which tires do you have?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Give the suggestion in Post #2 a try and let us know what you find.
I tried doing the test which you had mentioned and I am not sure about the result :) I am not an expert in this auto field hence thinking of mentioning this noise issue to my dealer during my next oil change visit.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,064 Posts
Rub your hand around the circumference of the tire tread, along the outside edge of the tread (not the side of the tire, the tread) in both directions (clockwise and counterclockwise). If you notice lots of 'raised edges' in the tread blocks going one way, and not in the other, you have the problem we're talking about. The feel will be distinctly different in CW vs CCW direction. You don't need to be an expert. Give it a go.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento ex premium
10 Posts
that is what my thought was and I think this 2.4L version is more for the rental market. BTW, which tires do you have?
Right now I have cheap winters on it. I can’t remember what it came with and they are currently I storage—they are quiet, but suck in the snow.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rub your hand around the circumference of the tire tread, along the outside edge of the tread (not the side of the tire, the tread) in both directions (clockwise and counterclockwise). If you notice lots of 'raised edges' in the tread blocks going one way, and not in the other, you have the problem we're talking about. The feel will be distinctly different in CW vs CCW direction. You don't need to be an expert. Give it a go.

sure will give it a few more try again, I really want to get to the bottom of this. this noise is kinda annoying :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Update on my quest to fix the road noise/tire noise issue, specifically on the highway due to the wind noise / tire noise / road noise android auto voice commands are useless. I have to literally shout so that android auto can hear my voice properly now I am thinking of buying a megaphone 📣and use it to give a voice command to android auto when I am on the highway.

Anyway, I ran my hand around the circumference of the tires and I did not feel any abnormality or bump to me it looked fine, tire pressure is correct too. Based on my extensive research (read Google search :)) I have zeroed down this issue to the tire. This Kumho Krugen could be kinda noisier???? someone I know has 2016 Sorento OEM 19" rims which have Hankook Dynapro HP2 235/55R19 tires and has around 80% thread on them. I am thinking of replacing my 17" with these 19". Another option is to go for sound deadening in the back or trunk area??

Any comments or suggestions or advice??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts