Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sedona SX
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2019 Sedona SX which is supposed to have HBA (high beam assist). I have this feature in one of my Hyundai cars so I am familiar with how it is supposed to work. On this van when I push the lever forward, all I get is a high beam like a standard headlight dimming switch.

I went to dealership to see if maybe I was missing some sort of soft menu that turned the feature on like how you can turn smart gate on and off. They at first acted like I was crazy and even suggested that the Sedona does not have this feature. I had to show them on the window sticker where it says it does as well as on the Kia website where you compare trim levels.

They had 4 or 5 mechanics all searching for a way to engage it and finally said I will need an appointment. I heard one mechanic say that he thought the sensor that looked for oncoming headlights and/or tail lights was missing. I thought he said it would be on the mirror.

Can anyone tell me where the sensor that detects another car is? They can't get my van in for 4 days and I am just wanting to see if in fact this van made it out of the factory without this feature being installed.

Thanks

·
Registered
2017 Kia Carnival / Sedona Platinum Turbo Diesel
14 Posts
Have you tried putting your headlight switch to "Auto" then push the lever forward?

·
Registered
2019 Sedona SX
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Have you tried putting your headlight switch to "Auto" then push the lever forward?
Yes, I had this feature on my 2017 Hyundai Sonata so I am very familiar with how it is supposed to work. Even the dealership now agrees that it is not working as intended.

The info I am trying to get is where the sensor that detects another vehicle is located so I can look to see if it is installed. If it is then most likely they can just turn the feature on via software but if not they will have to install the sensor, assuming the wiring is even available.

Edit: I have even done this at night going over 25 mph even though you don't have to be going fast to engage "auto" just for it to automatically adjust for you.

·
Registered
2019 Sedona SX
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dealership just called and they were able to turn this on via software. I am being told the sensor is the same camera that is used for the lane detection warning. I'm being told that this was added at the port. This sounds odd because it's standard on all SX at least in the US but maybe it has to be turned on on all of them and they just missed mine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The dealership just called and they were able to turn this on via software. I am being told the sensor is the same camera that is used for the lane detection warning. I'm being told that this was added at the port. This sounds odd because it's standard on all SX at least in the US but maybe it has to be turned on on all of them and they just missed mine.
Could you please tell me the name of that dealership so I can connect my local dealership to them?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine is also not working. Please help share your dealer's info so I can try to connect mine. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine is also not working. Please help share your dealer's info so I can try to connect mine. Thanks.
My dealer found the issue and walked me through it. They had to hook up the Kia Data System and hit a few submenus to get to varying codes and activate the HBA via a drop down. They had to do the same for the Driver Attention Warning System. I can give the exact click by click and video if needed.

·
Registered
2020 Sedona SX
8 Posts
My dealer found the issue and walked me through it. They had to hook up the Kia Data System and hit a few submenus to get to varying codes and activate the HBA via a drop down. They had to do the same for the Driver Attention Warning System. I can give the exact click by click and video if needed.
I am having the same issue with a 2020 Kia Sedona. The dealership keeps telling me it must not be included with the SX model, however all information from Kia says it is a standard option.

If you can provide me with the click by click and video, perhaps I can show it to them. Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here is the video I uploaded, but I provided the steps below just in case. Also, my Driver Attention Warning (DAW) system was not active and similar steps were required using the KDS. Hope this helps.

Connect the KDS to the vehicle > SW Management > Multi-Function Camera > Variant Coding > click on "HBA" drop down > select "HBA" > click other

·
Registered
2020 Sedona SX
8 Posts
Here is the video I uploaded, but I provided the steps below just in case. Also, my Driver Attention Warning (DAW) system was not active and similar steps were required using the KDS. Hope this helps.

Connect the KDS to the vehicle > SW Management > Multi-Function Camera > Variant Coding > click on "HBA" drop down > select "HBA" > click other
Thank you. I am also missing the DAW system.

·
Registered
'16 Sedona SX, '09 Genesis
217 Posts

I drove a rental Elantra recently and it had the DAW. I was surprised - in a good way - at how good it was at detecting my driving/attention state.

·
Registered
2020 Sedona SX
8 Posts
Seems like Kia didn't provide the updated instructions for the 2020 Sedona SX to tell dealers to activate these systems nor how to do it. Glad I could help.
Thank you again for the video and instructions. I took the vehicle to the dealership today for 8 hrs and unfortunately their claim is that since the High Beam Assist isn't listed on the window sticker the car isn't supposed to have that option. All of this despite all the information from Kia saying it is a standard option. They agreed to look at the DAW since it was on the window sticker, but according to them the computer had no option to turn it on and they opened a case with Kia. So my fight continues.

·
Registered
2020 Sedona SX
8 Posts
Just wanted to update the post. Kia Customer Service called today to let me know that they were sorry, but supposedly there is a clause that states options on vehicles can change without prior notice. They have decided to offer me $350 towards an accessory, but state there is nothing that can be done to add HBA or DWA to the van, despite one of them clearly being listed on the window sticker.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage EX, 2020 Kia Sedona SX
15 Posts
I bought a 2020 Sedona SX 2 weeks ago, and have been going through the features on it, and the HBA and DAW were missing as well. I took it in for service this morning, referred them to this forum and the video - they came back and said there was a new TSB on this for the 2020 SX. They had to drill down through submenus as mentioned in an earlier post. Left the dealer in a hour with the features activated.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts