Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'19 Niro EX, '19 Veloster Turbo
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks back my wife started to notice that her 19 EX was harder to get into EV. When she did manage to get it to kick in, it'd only stay on for a few miles, if that. I was out of town and drove it as soon as I got back to check it out.. sure enough, no amount of babying kicked the EV in where it would normally be on - same MPH, road conditions, temperatures (although they've dropped a bit since). MPG went from mid to high 40s to 40 at best. I did notice that the battery gauge rarely shows above half now... not fully sure if that was the case before.

We bought it new, have about 4000 miles on it now. Have an appointment tomorrow to get it checked out.

Anyone else seeing anything similar? What does your battery stay at typically?

·
Registered
Sorento EX, 2013, Niro PHEV SX, 2019
27 Posts
Eric,
You will get a moderator telling you to put in your location and car type no doubt but in the interim we don't know where you are or if you own a Hybrid or a Plug in Hybrid. The Niro plug in uses the gas engine to heat the car and a heat pump to cool it. I assume the normal hybrid to be similar. if she is running with the temperature set at a normal comfortable temperature, with the temperatures dropping the engine will be running for heat. I am trying to leave the climate control off for as long as possible to keep the car running on EV mode as long as possible utilizing the heated seats and steering wheel to take the edge off.

·
Registered
Sorento EX, 2013, Niro PHEV SX, 2019
27 Posts
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/forum-rules.27240/

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.
I think with the size of the country maybe you should consider adding the state too so members (who appear to be worldwide) can get some insight into how weather factors into their response?
it's both snowing and sun baked in the states right now.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,883 Posts
I think with the size of the country maybe you should consider adding the state too so members (who appear to be worldwide) can get some insight into how weather factors into their response?
it's both snowing and sun baked in the states right now.
100% agree, but have so much difficulty getting people to add the bare basics, I don't have any confidence that they'll go that extra practical step.

Can't even get them to add the model details such as EX, V6 etc.

Admin refuse to add a prompt at the registration page, let alone make it mandatory information fields.

·
Registered
'19 Niro EX, '19 Veloster Turbo
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eric,
You will get a moderator telling you to put in your location and car type no doubt but in the interim we don't know where you are or if you own a Hybrid or a Plug in Hybrid. The Niro plug in uses the gas engine to heat the car and a heat pump to cool it. I assume the normal hybrid to be similar. if she is running with the temperature set at a normal comfortable temperature, with the temperatures dropping the engine will be running for heat. I am trying to leave the climate control off for as long as possible to keep the car running on EV mode as long as possible utilizing the heated seats and steering wheel to take the edge off.
Thanks for this. It's what we've heard from the dealer so far as well.

In Illinois.. it's been between 40-60. Started right before the dip in temps. Happens with or without the heat on. All good to know, though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts