Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new 2019 LX.

It makes a "whirring" noise when running. It gets louder as I push on the gas pedal.

Once in gear the whirring is faster and louder the farther I step on the gas. When I coast the noise is barely audible.

Anyone ever heard of that?

·
Registered
48 Posts

It makes a "whirring" noise when running. It gets louder as I push on the gas pedal.

Once in gear the whirring is faster and louder the farther I step on the gas. When I coast the noise is barely audible.

A weird exhaust leak? Or maybe some weird obstruction in the exhaust?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Maybe it's the engine fan clutch, not disengaging when warmed up, or at higher speeds? It is a viscous coupling filled with fluid, with the vehicle off, & warmed up, you should be able to turn the fan by hand, without too much resistance to test it. If it doesn't want to move then, this could be your problem?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Maybe it's the engine fan clutch, not disengaging when warmed up, or at higher speeds? It is a viscous coupling filled with fluid, with the vehicle off, & warmed up, you should be able to turn the fan by hand, without too much resistance to test it. If it doesn't want to move then, this could be your problem?
I hope you're joking about this. Kias have electrical fans.

·
Registered
137 Posts

Do you have a 2.0L turbo motor?

Regardless, let the vehicle break in for at least one thousand miles. If its still making the noise take it back to the dealership and make a note of it during your first oil change.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I have to ask, did you test drive more than one model before buying the one you have?
Did you observe the sound and driving characteristics between them before deciding?
Whenever I buy a vehicle, I test drive all the different trim levels just to see the similarities, differences etc... and this gives you an opportunity to pick up on things that might not be right, or know what is normal

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tested a couple models and a couple LXs none made this noise. Mine didn't until second day I had it home. Still doing it. Fan is not issue exhaust seems tight and no loose bolts or shields anywhere.

Not going to wait for 1000 miles. Got an appointment for this week. Not a good start for my first Kia

·
Registered
137 Posts
Tested a couple models and a couple LXs none made this noise. Mine didn't until second day I had it home. Still doing it. Fan is not issue exhaust seems tight and no loose bolts or shields anywhere.

Not going to wait for 1000 miles. Got an appointment for this week. Not a good start for my first Kia
Please keep us updated as to what is found!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds normal, happens with 4 cylinder GDI engines, they sound a little bit like a sowing machine. Should quiet down a bit after the engine warms, say 10 to 15 minutes.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Please check that you don´t have open engine air filter door.....

Jorge,

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So after 3 trips to the "service" department (Once at 1000 miles, Once at 4000 miles and now at 5100 miles) for this annoying engine noise, they have determined that the noise is caused by gasoline "ping". I asked if I needed to move to a higher octane, they said no, that 87 octane is fine but I needed to use a "top tier" gas. Sunoco is listed as a top tier gas on the AAA website. I have only used Sunoco gas in this Sportage since I get a discount on it. I told them I use only Sunoco 87 octane.

Then they said I should move to a higher octane. Two minutes prior, I was told a higher octane was not needed. I think they are trained by the same folks that train the sales staff.

I give up.

PS - Gas mileage has gone from 29.1 mpg to 20.7 over the last 4 weeks - AM radio reception still abysmal - I miss my Toyota!!

·
Registered
849 Posts
So after 3 trips to the "service" department (Once at 1000 miles, Once at 4000 miles and now at 5100 miles) for this annoying engine noise, they have determined that the noise is caused by gasoline "ping". I asked if I needed to move to a higher octane, they said no, that 87 octane is fine but I needed to use a "top tier" gas. Sunoco is listed as a top tier gas on the AAA website. I have only used Sunoco gas in this Sportage since I get a discount on it. I told them I use only Sunoco 87 octane.

Then they said I should move to a higher octane. Two minutes prior, I was told a higher octane was not needed. I think they are trained by the same folks that train the sales staff.

I give up.

PS - Gas mileage has gone from 29.1 mpg to 20.7 over the last 4 weeks - AM radio reception still abysmal - I miss my Toyota!!
A whirring noise is not a "ping". You don't need above 87 octane especially in an LX. They are just trying to mollify you. I have the same engine as you with no annoying sounds. I would go to a different dealer if possible. Modern cars do not ping since the ECU compensates for it. Now, if you got a bad tank of gas with water in it or your Sunoco station is privately owned and they purchase cheap fuel, then octane could be an issue. I would try a couple of months in a Shell/Exxon/Mobil station with regular.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Unless you have drastically changed your driving style to replicate the noise, that major of a change in the fuel economy (regardless of how you drive) is definitely a cause for concern. Do you have significant periods of idling?

On my 2018 Sportage EX FWD my mileage from top to bottom never varied more than 4MPG. 28 - 32 MPG based on the display. My usual urban commute (some freeway @ up 80mph) some stop and go (same freeway) and some city streets (40mph max) it was 28 MPG consistently over multiple fuel tanks. On long level freeway runs I could get around 35 or so.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A whirring noise is not a "ping". You don't need above 87 octane especially in an LX. They are just trying to mollify you. I have the same engine as you with no annoying sounds. I would go to a different dealer if possible. Modern cars do not ping since the ECU compensates for it. Now, if you got a bad tank of gas with water in it or your Sunoco station is privately owned and they purchase cheap fuel, then octane could be an issue. I would try a couple of months in a Shell/Exxon/Mobil station with regular.
I agree that it is NOT a ping. I had an old Buick that would ping on acceleration. A ping is a completely different noise.

This Sportage makes the noise while idling or accelerating. It is more pronounced when accelerating but it is not a ping. I agree that they are trying to say anything to get me off their back. I am getting off their back. I am going directly to KIA.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Unless you have drastically changed your driving style to replicate the noise, that major of a change in the fuel economy (regardless of how you drive) is definitely a cause for concern. Do you have significant periods of idling?

On my 2018 Sportage EX FWD my mileage from top to bottom never varied more than 4MPG. 28 - 32 MPG based on the display. My usual urban commute (some freeway @ up 80mph) some stop and go (same freeway) and some city streets (40mph max) it was 28 MPG consistently over multiple fuel tanks. On long level freeway runs I could get around 35 or so.
I hardly ever idle the Sportage. I drive the same route just about every day. About 70% highway (NYS Thruway) and 30% rural. Rarely get into city driving except when I keep returning this Sportage for this engine noise problem.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I agree that it is NOT a ping. I had an old Buick that would ping on acceleration. A ping is a completely different noise.

This Sportage makes the noise while idling or accelerating. It is more pronounced when accelerating but it is not a ping. I agree that they are trying to say anything to get me off their back. I am getting off their back. I am going directly to KIA.
If I had to hazard a guess without seeing your car, it sounds like it may be an alternator whine which does get louder when idling or accelerating as you are putting more load on the alternator in those circumstances.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts