Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,529 Posts
I want to know if someone are replace your Sportage SX turbo air filter for a K&N and if notice a difference in gasoline comsuption and performance.
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/forum-rules.27240/

·
Registered
838 Posts
I want to know if someone are replace your Sportage SX turbo air filter for a K&N and if notice a difference in gasoline comsuption and performance.
The purpose of an air filter is to keep larger particulates out of the intake system. K&N filters, which I've used on a few other cars in the past, theoretically restrict less than OEM filters. If your car is starved for air, it might help a little, but not much. That said, our modern cars, like the Sportage, are not starved for air even under load so K&N filters have virtually no performance benefit. If engineers really restricted airflow, then they would not be competitive in terms of both performance and mpg. We used to add CAI's in the past when we modded engines -- but it has been a long time since you get any real benefit from CAI's. The only real benefit of a K&N filter today is that it can be cleaned and reused. Given the low price of air filters, I see no reason to go to that bother. Don't believe what they say in ads -- you won't feel a damn thing....

·
Registered
131 Posts
Don't do it.

Two reasons.

First: Your engine is turbo charged. Its forcing air into the engine instead of relying on the pistons pulling in the air for combustion to occur. So, your intake system is always pressurized above atmospheric pressure. Your not experiencing any 'loss' of air flow.

Second reason, you are instructed to install (spray) oil on a K & N as well as Frams Air Hog. The oil will slowly get sucked upon and coat the mass air flow sensor creating false reading and driveability issues. Fortunately the Mass Air Flow Sensor can be cleaned.

Stick with a good Wix Premium air filter!
If you want more power look for ways to increase the boost of your turbocharger.
Or, add a Nitrous Oxide injection system.

·
Registered
820 Posts
There seems to be a problem here in understanding what is going on under the hood. Any filter is a restriction in the system. Whether aspiration is 'normal' or forced, this restriction causes power made by the engine to be used to pull or push the air through the restriction. A less restrictive filter allows more air through it at a given RPM/throttle position. When more air is processed, more fuel is added to it, resulting in more power. Especially when combined with a less-restrictive exhaust system, measurable power increases are possible, but more fuel will also be consumed. But most importantly, the car will sound a lot better. :)
What has been said about the oil from an oiled filter and the mass-air sensor is correct and has caused problems.

·
Super Moderator
9,529 Posts
There seems to be a problem here in understanding what is going on under the hood. Any filter is a restriction in the system. Whether aspiration is 'normal' or forced, this restriction causes power made by the engine to be used to pull or push the air through the restriction. A less restrictive filter allows more air through it at a given RPM/throttle position. When more air is processed, more fuel is added to it, resulting in more power. Especially when combined with a less-restrictive exhaust system, measurable power increases are possible, but more fuel will also be consumed. But most importantly, the car will sound a lot better. :)
What has been said about the oil from an oiled filter and the mass-air sensor is correct and has caused problems.
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/forum-rules.27240/

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here's an opened K&N filter (blue) vs Original. This picture always comes to my mind, when people are talking about free flow filters.

While original filter's media is more restrictive, it has so much more area that it does't restrict flow. It has much better filtration and superior capasity plus won't ruin your MAF sensor.

Any filter is a restriction in the system. Whether aspiration is 'normal' or forced, this restriction causes power made by the engine to be used to pull or push the air through the restriction. A less restrictive filter allows more air through it at a given RPM/throttle position.
Air restriction in any filter is true, but turbo engines don't use that "excess" air, even if there is some available. The turbo will try to make same pressure in any case (ECU controlled wastegate or VNT/VGT). Of course turbo has to make little more work if air is restricted and that will cause some more back pressure in the ex manifold (less efficient), but that's marginal unless your filter is totally blocked. Only highly modified race engine will benefit from free flow filter or no filter at all. I do agree that engine is an air pump and less restriction in the airways is always better, but free flow filter is propably the worst thing to start upgrading original engineering.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Engines cannot accept more air than they need in modern cars. In the olden days (25 years ago) when we used carburetors and and dual quads and no ECU's, this was an issue. But not today. The combustion process is tightly controlled in terms of air, fuel, and timing and will not change if more air is added. If you don't believe us, get your car dynoed with both filters. THERE WILL BE ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE. The last time I did this was about 12 years ago as part of a car club event -- and this was a 450 hp stock engine. K&N has been making a lot of money from people who don't know better or old codgers who haven't updated their knowledge of modern cars. I'm constantly having to forget the lessons of the past with all of the new technologies. Things like using higher octane gas than recommended by the manufacturer or doing oil changes at less than recommended intervals. The sound will not change noticeably with those filters either. Don't get me wrong, K&N make good filters and if you properly maintain them, it will be cheaper when you run the car 150,000 miles. But you will not get any more power or performance. Hell, there are companies still selling "chips" and CAI's and telling you that wide wheels are better. You can certainly change your tune with proper programming, but any changes from stock can cause other problems with your engine even though you can boost the power that way. These things are the tools of "ricers" and certainly not appropriate for a compact SUV. You are currently squeezing a lot of power from a small 4 banger in your SX. I'm not even convinced that the frame/engine mounts/transmission can handle much more power than in the SX nor does your car have the rigidity to handle increased torque.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The quality of the Kia air filter especially for turbo engines are really top quality built. I used a K&N filter on my older forte and did I notice any improvement in power? not one bit. I did notice one thing different though that was my oil got dirtier a lot quicker.. I pay $20 Canadian for the factory air filter for my turbo SX AWD Sportage.. and for the price I change it in the spring and then fall time.. cheap insurance and peace of mind all for $40 a year ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts