Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
TBD - Researching Kia hatchbacks
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems odd that we're already in October and there's no news on the 2019 Kia Rio even though the 2019 Forte is already being promoted heavily in television commercials.

Does anyone know when Kia plans to release information on the 2019 Rio and start deliveries to dealers?

My hopes are that some of the higher specification features from other markets such as the Canadian Rio will now show up in the US 2019 Rio EX trim level such as the sharp looking 17" wheels, LED DRL & tail lights, automatic climate control, leather seating, and heated seats & steering wheel.

It boggles my mind, and may make the difference in my purchase decision for an economical hatchback, that these features are available elsewhere but not in the US Rio EX trim.

Maybe Kia will improve the Rio EX offering with the potential arrival of the 2019 Forte5 filling the top specification hatchback slot? I guess we'll see.

Thanks,
Al

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,531 Posts
your local dealer might have a better idea on that. Nothing officially released from Kia Media yet. The Rio and Cadenza are the only models showing 2018 specs. No 2019 Rio info on the Kia Canada website either. Yes, it's a very well equipped vehicle in Canada.

The Forte would get the spot light as it's all new, the Rio got that last year.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, it's interesting that no mention of the 2019 Rio is showing up anywhere even this late in the year, while other models are being referenced already as 2019 models.

On the Kia USA site everything is 2019 except the 2018 Cadenza, Sedona, K900 (it's shown as a 2017) and of course aforementioned Rio.

That delay actually makes me have more confidence that Kia USA may be updating the options for 2019. If they were keeping the 2019 identical to the 2018, wouldn't they get the "2019 model" out even more quickly than anything else that requires updating? But again, obviously we'll see... when we see ;)

·
Registered
2016 Rio lx +
248 Posts
I would assume there is little to no changes for the 2019 Kia Rio... All of the spotlight is on the Forte's right now which makes me think the Rio will most likely see changes in 2020?! Just a hunch..

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,531 Posts
the only change on the 2019 Rio 5 in Canada is LED headlamps for the EX Tech model, everything else is the same as 2018

trim levels for 2019 in Canada:
- LX MT
- LX+ MT
- LX+ AT

- EX
- EX Sport
- EX Tech Navi

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, but unfortunately it looks like Kia USA has chosen to actually reduce the set of Rio features and models available in the USA for 2019 surprisingly.

Kia USA has only published the 2019 Rio sedan models and features on their main page, but a quick search will find a general internal informational page for the 2019 Rio5 hatchback as well.

In both cases the 2019 Rio will only now offer the LX and S trim levels, with many of the EX features now unavailable.

I was most interested in the EX trim level, and was hoping Kia was going to actually expand its features in 2019.

Kia USA hasn't provided information on the 2019 Forte5 either, but with the pricing overlap at the Rio EX level with the lower trim Forte, the Forte5 may be Kia's strategy for that price point. So the Forte5 may be what I have to consider.

https://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/rio/2019/features

https://www.kiamedia.com/us/en/models/rio-5-door/2019

The Kia Media link above shows an EX in the photo, but the specifications are the same as the 2019 sedan.

·
Registered
2016 Rio SX Hatch
300 Posts
If I buy another Rio it will be a manual transmission. They have a CVT in them now as of 2018. No way I am driving a car with that crap transmission.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I buy another Rio it will be a manual transmission. They have a CVT in them now as of 2018. No way I am driving a car with that crap transmission.
Well, Kia USA just published the official Rio5 details a few days ago:

https://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/rio-5-door/2019

....and it's actually even a little worse than the cutbacks in the sedan, in that Kia isn't offering the LX or the EX trim levels in the Rio5, just the S :(

Nothing wrong with the S trim level, but dropping the LX and EX for the Rio5 is really limiting options for customers.

Regarding the transmission, this is actually a bright spot with the Rio. The Rio uses a 6 speed transmission, which I think I read somewhere was a dual-clutch, but it's not a CVT in the 2018+ Rio.

The new Forte has a CVT though, what they call a "Intelligent Variable Transmission (IVT) w/ Sportmatic"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts