Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase either the 18 with the 6 speed orthe 2019 with the 8 speed. I'm concerned about the 8 speed. I know that the 10 speed that Ford has been pushing for several years now is starting to have problems as they age. I'm concerned about the same thing for the new 8 speed. I actually took both of them for a test drive and honestly I thought the 18 drove better. There is less engine vibration and it seemed to shift smoother. I do like the extra miles per gallon I would get on Highway with the 8-speed though. Can anybody here give me some input or recommendation on which to get? Thx!

·
Registered
'19 Sorento S V6 AWD in Snow White, 2021 Seltos SX turbo AWD
323 Posts
I've got about 15,000 miles on my '19 with the eight speed. I like it. No problems so far, but I would hope not with only 15k miles.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento LX V6 AWD
4 Posts
I'm looking to purchase either the 18 with the 6 speed orthe 2019 with the 8 speed. I'm concerned about the 8 speed. I know that the 10 speed that Ford has been pushing for several years now is starting to have problems as they age. I'm concerned about the same thing for the new 8 speed. I actually took both of them for a test drive and honestly I thought the 18 drove better. There is less engine vibration and it seemed to shift smoother. I do like the extra miles per gallon I would get on Highway with the 8-speed though. Can anybody here give me some input or recommendation on which to get? Thx!
I have 55K miles on our 2019 V6 AWD 8 speed and the tranny is silky smooth and no issues.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SXL
47 Posts
I have a 14 SXL 3.3 AWD with the 6 gear transmission 100K. cruseing at 80Mph on level Interstate I get 24 MPG.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento LX V6 AWD
31 Posts
I have the 2019 with 22,000 miles and no problems. Best transmission I have ever driven.

·
Registered
2019 KIA Sorento LX V6 AWD
37 Posts
To do a fair comparison you probably have to drive both for a while under different conditions... otherwise it's very subjective...
What is the price difference? Are they both on warranty?

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXL AWD
229 Posts
Why don't you match up the trims online and see what extras the 2019 might give you, then decide based on that AND the ride. I have the 2019 SXL and there were some nice extras which were not on the 2018 SX even adding the extra package (that was included in the 2019 SXL).

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,350 Posts
You should have no problem with the 8 speed.
It will be under warranty for 10 years or 100K miles.
If something goes wrong Kia will fix it.
I would go with the newer model.
Good luck on what ever decision you make!

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
505 Posts
I have the 2020 SX, and I really like the 8 speed transmission. It's the smoothest shifting car I've had except for the Nissan with the CVT (no shifts). I only drive a few thousand miles a year, so I figure any transmission issues will be under warranty while I own the car.

·
Registered
2018 Sorento EX v6
1 Posts
I had a 2019 LX v6 until it was totaled last month. I replaced it with a 2018 EX v6. I actually prefer the 6speed over the 8speed. Even in SMART mode, the 8 speed would be a little slow to respond to throttle input. SPORT mode was better. ECO was an exercise in patience while the 8speed transmission shifted through the gears. Yes, I had the transmission "cleared" twice in the 20k miles I put on it. On a recent 150 mile trip in the 2018, I averaged 26mpg in Normal mode at 70ish mph (per the trip computer). I haven't had the 2018 long enough to determine the accuracy of the trip computer MPG calculation. For me, there is less hesitation with the 6speed than with the 8speed (i.e. the 6speed is more responsive). Since I have only put a few miles (about 500) on the 2018, my opinion may change as time goes on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts