Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Sorento 2.4L AWD
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
November 16 - car almost stalled while at red light. Once I gave it some gas, fine rest of the day
November 17 - while driving on highway sudden violent shaking, CEL on, loss of power, limped to location.
November 18 - drove to dealer, no problem and no CEL - computer doesn't show anything. Dealer kept for 2 days, couldn't duplicate problem.
November 20 - problem comes back, drive to dealer while happening, misfire cylinder 1. Need to order plug
November 22 - get car back, 1 plug replaced. Running well.
November 24 - problem returns
November 25 - back to dealer. There a few days, get OK to change all plugs and coils. There until December 6
December 6 - within 2 hours of getting car, problem returned.
December 9 - video of problem sent to dealer.
December 10 - back to dealer - they have for almost 2 weeks. Report bad injector. Problem fixed. Get car December 21.
December 25 - same problem back, but worse. Car shaking, loss of cylinder, poor gas mileage, horrible sulfur smell.
December 26 - back to dealer and waiting on Kia Field Service Tech
January 16 - tech diagnosis of bad ECM - replaced.
January 18 - while tech test driving car, problem returns.
January 22 - still no car and using 4th loaner from dealer.

Maybe the Internet can solve my problem? What's causing the misfire in cylinder 1?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,600 Posts
"January 16 - tech diagnosis of bad ECM - replaced. " - that is a red flag for me, seeing that the ECM's are so reliable.

My recommendation would be to find another dealership, and if that's not convenient, get Kia Corp. involved.

·
Registered
2018 Sorento 2.4L AWD
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Kia Corporate is involved. They actually wouldn't do anything until their field tech looked at it. Now that his notes are updated, they escalated the case and will make a decision in 2-3 business days. Not sure what that means. Car is a lease so at least they are saying they will refund me the last 3 months of payments while car was down. Just kills me that the dealer and now Kia tech seem to be pissing in the wind for a fix.

"January 16 - tech diagnosis of bad ECM - replaced. " - that is a red flag for me, seeing that the ECM's are so reliable.

My recommendation would be to find another dealership, and if that's not convenient, get Kia Corp. involved.
ks

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
452 Posts
No idea what's causing the misfire in just one cylinder if they already replaced the coil for that cylinder. However, that many days/weeks of misfiring has likely severely shortened the life of the catalytic converter (that strong sulfur smell is the cat melting down from raw gas due to the misfiring cylinder) so I would be pressuring Kia to replace it once they have the real problem fixed (or at least extend the emissions warranty on the cat for 3-4 years so when it does fail prematurely, they are on the hook). Good luck with finding a solution with Kia - suspect it is related to the engine recall already in place and the need to replace one of the wiring harnesses.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,133 Posts
Need to start with more information. First, has the only code that has ever appeared been the P0301 code for cylinder #1?

+1 on the converter. Dumping raw gas into the exhaust does it no good at all.

·
Registered
2018 Sorento 2.4L AWD
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Need to start with more information. First, has the only code that has ever appeared been the P0301 code for cylinder #1?

+1 on the converter. Dumping raw gas into the exhaust does it no good at all.
Yes - only code ever shown is P0301. Car can be running rough. Turn car off, restart, and could be good for an hour or more. There really is no rhyme or reason and can happen at any speed or condition.

·
Registered
2018 Sorento 2.4L AWD
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No idea what's causing the misfire in just one cylinder if they already replaced the coil for that cylinder. However, that many days/weeks of misfiring has likely severely shortened the life of the catalytic converter (that strong sulfur smell is the cat melting down from raw gas due to the misfiring cylinder) so I would be pressuring Kia to replace it once they have the real problem fixed (or at least extend the emissions warranty on the cat for 3-4 years so when it does fail prematurely, they are on the hook). Good luck with finding a solution with Kia - suspect it is related to the engine recall already in place and the need to replace one of the wiring harnesses.
Problem for 67 days. I may have had it for 8 of those total. And really only usage was home to dealer but will def mention it to them.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,133 Posts
@Tinted
Afraid you may well be correct. Harness/connector, at any rate, and intermittent at that. No fun to troubleshoot. If it's a problem firing the plug, as earlier noted, the converter isn't going to be happy about having that much raw gas through it. However, it could also be a failure to fire the injector, which doesn't pose that problem. Don't envy the tech trying to find this since it is intermittent. You'd need to have it failing and then scope both the power to the #1 injector and to the #1 coil to see which isn't happening, then begin backtracking the harness from there to the ECU.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
627 Posts
Wow! Yes, Good Luck with this issue! I would be poking the dealer about the Lemon Law and ask for a buy back or at least a very good deal on a trade in. Then Kia can ship the vehicle back to Korea and tear it apart.
It seems you have everything well documented, and the car is only 2 model years old.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
452 Posts
Wow! Yes, Good Luck with this issue! I would be poking the dealer about the Lemon Law and ask for a buy back or at least a very good deal on a trade in. Then Kia can ship the vehicle back to Korea and tear it apart.
It seems you have everything well documented, and the car is only 2 model years old.
I'm asking this because I really don't know - how does the lemon law work in most states on a leased vehicle? Technically, the leasing company owns the vehicle and so would they have to instigate the return procedures and what if they aren't willing to do so? Or, maybe it just doesn't matter and the lessee has the same rights as an owner.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
452 Posts
@Tinted
However, it could also be a failure to fire the injector, which doesn't pose that problem. Don't envy the tech trying to find this since it is intermittent.
The strong sulfur smell would lead me to believe it's the plug not firing versus a failed injector signal. Maybe since it's a leased vehicle it's easier to terminate the lease under these conditions versus a lemon law complaint? I don't envy the owner or the tech who has to try and chase the problem - intermittent sucks, I'd rather have a complete engine failure because at least you know what's wrong.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
627 Posts
Oh, you had not previously mentioned it was a lease vehicle.
You still have rights, but I'm not a lawyer, and not even sure where in the US you reside.
I'm sure you can Google your rights as a lessee.
Of course, if something were to happen to this vehicle which would deem it a total loss, heaven forbid, you should be protected from making further payments.......check your contract first......

·
Registered
2019 Sorento
68 Posts
I'm asking this because I really don't know - how does the lemon law work in most states on a leased vehicle? Technically, the leasing company owns the vehicle and so would they have to instigate the return procedures and what if they aren't willing to do so? Or, maybe it just doesn't matter and the lessee has the same rights as an owner.
The California Lemon Law requires a vehicle manufacturer that is unable to repair a vehicle to conform to the manufacturer's express warranty after a reasonable number of repair attempts to replace or repurchase the vehicle. ... Vehicles purchased or leased for personal, family, or household purposes.

·
Registered
2018 Sorento 2.4L AWD
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update - so Field tech had dealer take the head off the engine and they say they found carbon build up. I've been told they offered me a Fuel Induction Service for $179 but I declined it. Didn't think my car would stop functioning at 28,000 miles due to not paying for this - or why didn't they just do it one of the 4 other times vehicle was in and not working? I've been patient up until today. They ordered a new head and valves. I mentioned people here saying wiring harness because it does come and go much like a short. I would assume if head and valves were bad, it would happen all the time and not reset once I restarted the car for a while?

I was going to buy this after the lease. Looks like the Kia brand is dead to me. I've been a Toyota household for 25 years. This was our first, and now probably last, Kia.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento LX (..and also drove a 2004.5 Spectra for 13+ years / 127k great miles)
35 Posts
Update - so Field tech had dealer take the head off the engine and they say they found carbon build up. I've been told they offered me a Fuel Induction Service for $179 but I declined it. Didn't think my car would stop functioning at 28,000 miles due to not paying for this - or why didn't they just do it one of the 4 other times vehicle was in and not working? ...... <snip>
I've done two of these fuel induction services, but our first wasn't until around 36k miles, and the car was still running like a top. Yeah - there's SOMETHING else going on with your ride, that hopefully the new head fixes. Yes - thank goodness it's a lease! :)

-SM2016

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,133 Posts
I would assume if head and valves were bad, it would happen all the time and not reset once I restarted the car for a while?
"A while" could be meaningful when it comes to heads and head gaskets. Leaks CAN be temperature related. However, if it also immediately runs fine for "a while" after a quick restart (you said "turn off, restart", then temperature isn't likely to be your enemy. It didn't get any cooler while you stopped and started it over the course of a minute or two (opposite, actually, as the engine heat soaks for a bit right after being shut down). That pretty well eliminates anything mechanical. Those items don't change their behavior that quickly.

Unless someone HAS had a scope on the injector power and coil power while it is failing to assure that there's nothing amiss with those two items, I think they're just shotgunning things at this point.

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
248 Posts
Strange they would pull a head before checking for severe carbon buildup. A compression test or a bore scope would have shown carbon condition. Also weird they are offering to install a new head and valves ($$$) if they 100% thought a $180 induction cleaning would fix it.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,133 Posts
A carboned up valve doesn't just come and go with restart of an engine, and we need something as the cause of the #1 misfire. Not buying that at all, nor their $ for doing it.

·
Registered
2018 Sorento 2.4L AWD
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
With regard to temperature related. I can turn off/on while stopped at a red light and problem can resolve for 10 minutes - 2 hours - or not at all.

so local dealer mechanic replacing valves. He believes it's a short of some kind but needs to follow the Kia Tech recommendation. Meanwhile, it has been at the dealer since December 26th this go round with no repair in sight. Only good thing, still driving their loaner car since November 18th and will get reimbursed from Kia for lease payments made since November. So while a huge inconvenience, getting a new car for free last 3 months (and probably all of February at this rate!)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts