Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, id there someone in the forum who owns a brand new 2018 Rio ? If so, please give some feedback on your experience. Driving, breaking, wind and road noise, things like that.

Thanks

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,518 Posts
be aware that there appears to be quite a bit of feature differences between Canadian and US models of the all new Rio.

For example, the Canadian model gets heated front seats and heated steering wheel standard; there is a EX Sport model in Canada which is not available in the US which gives you 17" alloys and rain-sensing wipers and paddle shifters and you can also get navigation and leather seats too which are also not available in the US.

·
Registered
2017 rio
13 Posts
I own a 2017/2018 rio the gen 4. But I'm in Australia so there might be big differences. I upgraded from the 2016 rio and honestly say massive improvement over the gen3 in handling and features and layout . I've owned mia my v8s in the past so the lack of power is very noticeable as is the quality of build. It's a great little car runs on the smell of an oily rag handles well is comfortable to drive im 6 foot 3 and no issues. But it is a cheap car hence you get what you pay for. If you want a cheap little runabout with great warranty here in Australia its 7 years of say get one . Anymore questions you have just ask me happy to go into detail

·
Registered
2017 rio
13 Posts
Just reread your questions. Brakes are great stops car well very responsive. Cabin noise alittle louder than most cars ive owned but I have radio or music on most of the time so nmdont notice it at all. Wind dosnt move car much for a small car its pretty heavy. I have the 6speed manual so I can always find the right gear id pass in the 4 speed auto until they bring out the 5 or 6 speed auto

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio, 2010 Mercedes Benz C300, 2005 Ponitiac GTO, 2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT
1,118 Posts
I have the 6speed manual so I can always find the right gear id pass in the 4 speed auto until they bring out the 5 or 6 speed auto
Didn't know that you didn't get the 6 speed automatic in Australia. If it weren't for the 6 speed automatic we wouldn't have bought a Rio at all. My wife is the main driver of the Rio and, though she cab drive a manual, she didn't want one.

·
Registered
2017 rio
13 Posts
My 2016 ub rio got written off in a hail storm so my insurance company upgraded me to the new 2017 yb rio it was released here in February 2017 mine was on the first shipment at that time only 4 speed auto or the 6 speed manual . Now I think we have 6 auto and the 1l turbo engine option but bonott when I got mine.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Rio and 2018 Kia Sorento
29 Posts
I have a 2018 Rio in Canada

One thing I can say....I love my Rio. The car is solid, rides well for such a small car, I find it very quiet, has more than adequate power and handles very well. I have the EX Sport, but it doesn't have paddle shifters. The heated seats and steering are an awesome addition, the Auto Wipers are nice too. Fuel economy with mine is excellent, as I am getting 5.2 to 5.8 L/100Km regularly, (38 to 42 MPG respectively). I just got my UVO working yesterday, and it is an awesome feature. Power Moonroof is a nice addition, and the Auto Climate control works flawlessly. I added a 12" Rockford Fosgate Powered Subwoofer for a little extra sound filling, but the rest of the Stereo is all stock and works perfectly. The seating is comfortable, and the Tilt/Telescoping Steering make finding a comfortable position easy. The seats have the little lever to pump up the seat height too, and I really like that alot.

All in all, I would buy this car again, and I recommend it to anyone looking for a very nice Econo-Cruiser. I have zero complaints with the vehicle after a few months of ownership. It is surprising the amount of technology and features packed in to a car that is considered "Bargain Basement Model". It has features that many other more expensive vehicles don't have.

·
Registered
2016 Rio SX Hatch
296 Posts
I understand the automatic Rio now has a CVT transmission for 2018.

Personally, I would never, ever, buy a CVT transmission vehicle, but YMMV.

Get informed and read up on the numerous downside issues before you consider it. Seriously. There is no benefit to the vehicle owner, just the car company.

The "ONLY" reason these POS transmissions exist in cars today, is because they are dirt cheap to manufacture, compared to the pre-existing automatic transmissions using gear clusters.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Rio and 2018 Kia Sorento
29 Posts

Get informed and read up on the numerous downside issues before you consider it. Seriously. There is no benefit to the vehicle owner, just the car company.

The "ONLY" reason these POS transmissions exist in cars today, is because they are dirt cheap to manufacture, compared to the pre-existing automatic transmissions using gear clusters.
Hmmm. Well my 2018 has a 6 speed that shifts like butter. I wouldn't buy a CVT tranny either. Good for ATV's and Snowmobiles....but not so much for cars.

·
Registered
8,518 Posts

I think you need to get better informed as the 2018 Rio has a 6-speed transmission either manual or auto.

The 2019 Forte will be coming with a CVT, but don't judge it on this fact till you drive it, as Kia is well aware of all the negative features of the CVT and this is their own in-house designed and built and they feel they have addressed the problems concerned with that type of transmission.

It certainly doesn't effect the sales of many of the companies (Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc) that use the CVT. The big plus of this type of transmission is the improved fuel economy.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento LX V-6
139 Posts
I'm glad you put a comma between "breaking" and "wind" in the original question.

Hard to tell what direction this discussion would have gone. LOL

·
Registered
2016 Rio SX Hatch
296 Posts
Conwelpic.......

According to the information I have that is not the case. But, since I haven't driven nor seen one I can't speak for sure. Regardless, who buys an automatic Toyota, Honda and Nissan anyways ?

People who don't know, or care.

·
Registered
8,518 Posts
Conwelpic.......

According to the information I have that is not the case. But, since I haven't driven nor seen one I can't speak for sure.
I wonder where what your source is - certainly not very accurate - I'd toss that:) The obvious place to check for info on any vehicle is the manufactures website
All-New 2018 Kia Rio 5 | Compact Hatchback | Kia Canada

Transmission: 6-speed manual transmission; Available 6-speed automatic (sedan or 5-door)

-------------------------------------------------
the 2019 Forte will still offer a 6-speed manual in it's base model.

·
Registered
Rio 5 EX Tech 2018
2 Posts
The Canadian model doesn't have CVT, it's the 6 gear automatic transmission. At least it's what is in my 2018 Rio 5 EX Tech.

·
Registered
Rio 5 EX Tech 2018
2 Posts
2018 Rio EX Tech (5 Door)

I had the 2015 model (with the paddles and folding mirrors) and traded for the 2018 model. Unfortunately, they took away the cool features such as the folding mirrors, paddles and chrome pipes on the 2018. But they added some other options which make up for it. I find the UVO Intelligence practical, but the app is a little slow to load/respond. Overall, it's a nice little car with some power, handles the road nicely and with the EX model, the low profile tires keeps the car solid on the road in corners. The issue I am having is that I can't find any sport hitch compatible with the hatchback model for the 2018. I even contacted Kia and they don't have plans to make one. None of the main hitch manufacturers have one yet. If anyone can find one, I would really appreciate the link! Or even if someone know if the sedan one fits the hatchback... New model pain. :(

·
Registered
8,518 Posts
The Canadian model doesn't have CVT, it's the 6 gear automatic transmission. At least it's what is in my 2018 Rio 5 EX Tech.
it's the same in the US as the Rio is all built at the same Kia plant in Mexico. I doubt there is a CVT any Rio sold in any other parts of the world. That is a new feature coming up starting with the 2019 Forte.

--------------------------------------------------------

any decent hitch shop should be able to custom fit one for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a new USA 2018 Rio EX with the 6-speed auto. I only have 250 miles on it , but so far, I love it. Decent acceleration for a 130 hp engine. Transmission shifts very smoothly and is generally very quite. The cabin is pretty quite with little wind noise. Tire noise on the pavement is the most noticeable sound. probably because of relatively inexpensive tires. The ride is pretty smooth with a sporty/solid feel. Autonomous braking and forward obstacle alert are really nice features in a car at this price point. Overall look, feel, and drivability are far beyond the other cars we tested in this price range.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Rio Sedan EX Launch Edition
3 Posts
I just purchased a 2018 Kia Rio Ex Sedan Launch Edition yesterday 8/31/2018. It is only available with a 6 speed automatic. I am in USA. So far I can only echo mattbren58. It is significantly better than my previous car in all respects but it was also more expensive. It will take some time to sort out all the steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Rio Sedan EX Launch Edition
3 Posts
Update to my 2018 new purchase

Just wanted to provide additional information on my 2018 Kia Rio Ex Sedan Launch Edition California USA.
I now have 12,934 miles on my Rio. Drove cross country California to South Carolina and back in 12 days.
My wife agrees with me that this is a very comfortable car to ride or drive in at least for the front seats. The rear seats are comfortable but do not have much leg room.
The infotainment system is great as well as the sound system. I have not yet decided if I am going to install a subwoofer.
We encountered all kinds of weather from desert heat to heavy snow fall to hurricane force winds and really heavy rain not as bad as a monsoon rain but close.
This is my first automatic in 20+ years. The six speed performed flawlessly. I usually lock it into 6th so it does not shift on the slightest hill. It took a while for me to stop trying to put in the clutch :laugh:.
I am getting 39.30 MPG average overall with the best at 43.93 and the worst at 31.41 both in Arizona and 1 day apart.
All 41 mileage calculations have been within +/- 3 sigma deviation.
With this number of samples I do not anticipate any significant change in the average going forward.
The vast majority of my driving is freeway, 100 miles per day with 10% from 100 to 3000 ft elevation change and all driving in ECO mode.
The dash display indicated average is off by 3 MPG (42.33 average overall indicated vs 39.30 actual). Both are tracked in my spreadsheet and updated at each fill up.
The oil was 3/4 quart low at the 7500 mile service.
The car has enough power and coupled with the responsive transmission there were no problems with driveability.
There have only been a few issues.
1) when it was snowing heavy, the snow would pile up under the windshield wiper parking area such that the wipers would compress the snow and would hit the compressed snow really hard. I pulled over and cleared out the snow because I was worried that the wiper assembly would be damaged.
2) After the car sat overnight in the below freezing temperature (It was snowing to hard to see and I did not have chains) the right front TPS indicator came on and stayed on for about 24 hours. I checked the tire pressures with my gauge and they were all within 1/2 PSI of the posted recommended tire pressure. The presumption is that the cold temperature caused the erroneous indication. The TPS system has not shown a warning since but has also not encountered below zero temperatures either.
3) The forward radar collision sensor tends to get covered by bugs, mud, snow, and dirt which makes it inoperative until cleaned off (it has a dash warning when inoperable).
4) The autonomous emergency braking system is a bit unusual. It will not prevent you from running into another car if your foot is off the gas or if you are braking slightly. Mine tends to be more sensitive on the passenger side. If I am passing a car that is turning right I will get a warning. If I am passing a car that is turning left no warning even if I am way closer to the left turn car. In no case do I get a warning if I have removed my foot from the gas in anticipation of or going around a car making a turn. Each of the cases mentioned occurred at speeds between 20 and 40 miles per hour.
5) The driver side mirror does not adjust enough to clear the large drivers side blind spot. The dealer said the adjustment range was reduced to meet a side impact requirement. It seems a little odd that the mirror would have a limited range to meet a requirement that has a small probability of occurrence (side impact) vs hitting a car while changing lanes (high probability). I understand the severity of a side impact may be worse but the frequency of accidents and resultant collateral accidents and damage caused by a collision during a lane change out weighs the side impact consideration in my opinion. My wife who is 12 in shorter (I am 75 in tall) agrees that there is not enough adjustment range and that the insufficient adjustment range creates an unsafe condition.

I would have preferred a manual transmission but it was not an available option (on the EX).
Overall I love this car especially since it is a limited edition that my wife loves as well and gets great mileage for my daily commute.
My previous daily commute car (2008) was a 6 speed manual with a smaller engine, no power, lower MPG, needed a new engine at 240K miles, and was not a KIA.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts