Kia Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Car is ready! Oh boy do I feel a bit annoyed. My girlfriend is sick as a dog with the flu. Service Adviser calls, "Can you come pick up the Sportage" I call to check with gf, she can't do it, wants to keep loaner the weekend to clean out her stuff when she feels better and give it back the way we got it. Call SA, he's ok with it. Few minutes later get a call back, they need the loaner back today, they promised it to someone else. I can't do before the dealer closes, my gf can't because she's sick. Now the shoe is on the other foot and they want THEIR car back. Keep in mind every time I call her, I wake her up and she's pissed.

I think you see where my annoyance comes from. I decided to sign out of my PT at the gym so I can go pick up this god damn car. This thing better be spotless and full of gas.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
740 Posts
Personally, I would have told the dealership their car is infected with the Coronavirus....come and get it!
I really hope this is the end of the ordeal!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I'm satisfied to report the car was detailed inside and out, very well I might add. Had new wipers installed, a full tank of gas AND they didn't forget to update the oil change sticker! I'm impressed.

Car feels normal, however it started a little weird this morning, chugged a bit, then increased revs to 2K and then slowly retracted as it warmed up. I've experienced that before with other GDI's but only when the intakes were starting to carbon up. May have been a fluke.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
740 Posts
New motor needs at least 1k miles break in. Dump oil at 2k and start with good quality full synthetic. Good luck!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I forgot to update this. Kia offered us a Type 3 service for the trouble. While a nice gesture, I didn't immediately accept and told them I'd get back to them. I don't feel that's justification for 6 months of unreliable service from a new vehicle.

·
Registered
740 Posts
It beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!
What else are you thinking about?
How about a years supply of TP.....In very short supply in the US right now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Well new issue, not a major one but it's majorly annoying. We think it's been happening since we got it back but it's very random.

Symptoms:

When car is idling or off after driving, every 5-10 minutes while driving you will faintly hear what sounds like the side of a paint can being dented in. When idling it's more prominent, and then when you stop and shut the car off, it'll do one big pop about 10 minutes after you stop it sounds like someone smacks the lid of the paint can. It comes from the rear end so I'm guessing something to do with the gas vent/purge system. It's quite loud, startles you if you're not expecting it. It's not the typical exhaust tinking after a long drive. I guess it could be the muffler expanding and contracting? but you'd think we would hear that from the beginning.

It also will crank endlessly some mornings and not start, it'll take several tries for the engine to fire.

We're not going to let it stress us out. We've had too much to deal with. It'll go in for another oil change in 6k and we'll mention it then.

If anyone has heard this noise and had it looked at, let me know so I can arm myself with information.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,056 Posts
On the cranking, be sure to press the button until it starts, rather than 'punching' it and releasing.
If you have to do this, you have a problem. It's not like the older cars where you needed to turn the ignition until the car starts. That was a direct connection between the ignition switch and the starter motor. Today, your car's computer starts the car. Pushing the button just starts the sequence to start the car.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
We have an LX, no button just the old fashion key in and turn style lol you can hold the key and crank until the cows come home and engine will just crank and crank.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,056 Posts
We have an LX, no button just the old fashion key in and turn style lol you can hold the key and crank until the cows come home and engine will just crank and crank.
It may be useful to list your model in your profile.... The guy who wrote the response to which I responded had an SX which has the push button....

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,842 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,371 Posts
…. you can hold the key and crank until the cows come home and engine will just crank and crank.
Have you looked under the hood recently, or has there been a gasoline smell at all? The reason I ask is that the Kia/Hyundai service departments apparently botched the high pressure fuel pump installation on enough Theta engine replacements to force the automakers to do a complete safety recall (for fire risk) on all 170K vehicles which had engines previously replaced. Although one would like to believe they didn't to do that same stupid thing again with your vehicle, it is in the ballpark for hard starting (if the HPFP takes time to come to the required high pressure). But a fuel pump issue shouldn't have any relationship to the noise you described, so that part doesn't fit. Just mentioning this because the prior history of fuel leaks with engine replacements is obviously something you want to be aware of.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I was reading your reply at Walmart waiting for the girlfriend to get groceries and it just popped and startled me lol

I just wired up a trailer hitch for the car for our bike rack (clearance lights) and noticed the air intake hose wasn’t attached it was just floating there. Air bypassing the air filter completely. I hesitated in tightening it but took pictures and a video of it just incase and tightened it down.

I didn’t notice any other oddities in the engine, no fuel smell whatsoever.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Another update, the paint can popping sound has gotten worse and we're now experiencing the same initial symptoms as before that resulted in a new engine. Again this is verbatim from her... She was driving along and heard 3 loud paint can popping type sounds from the same area as they had been coming from since we had the engine changed, the car revved to red line without any accelerated forward movement. It only lasted a moment and then carried on as usual, no check engine light.

I really don't want to take this thing back to the dealer and run another beat up 10 year old Soul for a month. This isn't right.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts