Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Kia Sorento ex
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in Toronto and I'm getting all kinds of quotes for the price of getting my brakes done. The dealership mechanic said he'll replace the pads and then the service rep suggested to do the rotors as well but they look fine to me. They're quoting me over $1,000 which I think is a bit steep. Anyone else have any experience with this or help?

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX+ V6 2018
32 Posts
I found out the hard way, that a brake job on the Sorento is expensive. Couldn't wait to do it myself (on parts and finding time to do it). Took it to my local dealership where they only replaced the rear brakes/rotor and performed only a maintenance on the front as they were still ok weirdly. My back ones were not retracting correctly hence the issue. 600$ (CAN) ...I jumped.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
561 Posts
Why would the brakes on a Sorento be any more complicated or involved than any other 4 wheel disk brake vehicle? I know the EPB may be a bit complicated and not sure how that factors into the overall job. New rotors are inexpensive these days, not worth turning them any longer. Pads are cheap for just about any mass produced vehicle. Granted, I've not attempted a brake job on a Sorento and will perhaps be surprised when I do but in the meantime, there is no way it's a $1,000 job or a $600 job for just the rears. It should be, at most, $500 for all four wheels if they are replacing rotors unless they are insisting on OEM rotors, then perhaps it could approach $600 for all four wheels but the aftermarket products are as good, and sometimes better, than OEM. If you can DIY (and brakes are one of the simplest DIY jobs these days), then you can escape for $250 for rotors, pads and hardware. Again, maybe the Sorento represents a whole new level of mechanical mayhem when it comes to changing out pads but I sort of doubt it.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX AWD 3.3 V6 USA
30 Posts
Just had my front brakes done... I ordered the oem rotors and pads from a Kia dealer in New York...cost was about $275(US $) with shipping. I was going to do them myself but wasn’t feeling too well and decided to take it to a tire shop that also does mechanic work. They charged me $80 for labor. So total cost was about $355. The dealer wanted $300 just to replace the pads and resurface the rotors.
From what I saw, Kia brakes are not more difficult then any other car I have done in the past. Except they use the two screws on the rotors like Honda’s. Sometimes these screws are a pain to remove. In my case they had to use a torch to heat them up.

Good luck

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,385 Posts
My back ones were not retracting correctly hence the issue. 600$ (CAN) ..
Oh my. I hope this isn't a return to a previous problem. Was the cause of the binding established? The previous generation Santa Fe had this same issue, and really did require annual inspection and cleaning of rust and proper lubrication.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
575 Posts
For reference, I replaced my front calipers, rotors and pads for about $425. The calipers were $275 and the pads & rotors were $150. So a complete brake replacement (i.e. pads, rotors and calipers) on all 4 wheels would be about $850. These are just regular prices from stores like Rock Auto.

I've definitely had the same experience with every dealership. I've been given quotes close to $1000 for simple pad & rotor replacements. It's insane. You could buy some pads and rotors for about $150 per axle, and even if you spent $500 on tools to do the job, you'd still be saving hundreds of dollars.

If you're able to do the work yourself, then definitely do so. Otherwise, stay away from the dealerships for maintenance, and seek out an honest mechanic near you. It takes a while to find one, but they're out there. But there's just too much conflict-of-interest going on with dealership service imo. You simply can't trust the people who want to sell you a new car to fix your current one.

·
Registered
2018 Sorento SXL
41 Posts
It’s true .. don’t trust the dealer. I got 2018 Sorento SXL with 30000kms so far. Been going back and forth with the dealer since my first service at 6k kms about vibration at 85/90kms/h and pulsating brakes when slowing down normal gradual braking from 120-80km/h. Michelin tires started loosing chunks of rubber and developed cracks. They replaced 2 rear tires and rotors but brake pedal pulsing develops back again after driving 500-600 kms. Mind u under normal driving and braking. No hard braking. The whole experience has been so frustrating for me.

anyone knows which aftermarket rotors and pads are good? Preferably available in Canada. I read slotted and drilled rotors won’t warp this easily ? Can anyone confirm it if they used a brand ?

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento LX AWD
316 Posts
It’s true .. don’t trust the dealer. I got 2018 Sorento SXL with 30000kms so far. Been going back and forth with the dealer since my first service at 6k kms about vibration at 85/90kms/h and pulsating brakes when slowing down normal gradual braking from 120-80km/h. Michelin tires started loosing chunks of rubber and developed cracks. They replaced 2 rear tires and rotors but brake pedal pulsing develops back again after driving 500-600 kms. Mind u under normal driving and braking. No hard braking. The whole experience has been so frustrating for me.

anyone knows which aftermarket rotors and pads are good? Preferably available in Canada. I read slotted and drilled rotors won’t warp this easily ? Can anyone confirm it if they used a brand ?
I have 34k miles on my Sorento and haven't had issues with the brakes yet, but I have in other vehicles. I was able to solve the crappy OEM brake issues by using Akebono brake pads with High Carbon Alloy Centric branded rotors. I have done this on several cars in the past and never had a rotor vibration issue after that. I had a friend that had slotted and drilled rotors and they were very noisy.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
954 Posts

Try this company. I have had their product on two vehicles with no issues, no noise, excellent stopping power. One vehicle was a performance vehicle and their brakes would bring her down from 140 mph in a heart throb. No fading. Use the zinc plated ones to keep rust away and at bay. Go with the ceramic pads as the semi-metallic leave a residue on your wheels. Others may boo-who them but why do all the performance OEM vehicles utilize them from across the globe?

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,385 Posts
No need for lower unsprung weight provided by drilled and slotted rotors. It's not like you're on a track. Although they do reduce weight slightly, they're designed to be replaced quite a bit more frequently.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SX V6 AWD
48 Posts
I'm in Toronto and I'm getting all kinds of quotes for the price of getting my brakes done. The dealership mechanic said he'll replace the pads and then the service rep suggested to do the rotors as well but they look fine to me. They're quoting me over $1,000 which I think is a bit steep. Anyone else have any experience with this or help?
My brakes were done last year.
Front / Rear rotors $199 ea =$398.00
Labor $99.50 each axle = $199.00
Total $597.00

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,385 Posts
Just an aside ...
Had the front wheels off this afternoon, and took a closer look at the pads and rotors. Just coming up on 40K miles, and they look fantastic. That's one job I won't be doing for a while.

·
Registered
2004 Kia amanti
2 Posts
Just have them change the brakes, mechanics are taught to find more things supposedly wrong to meet the budget of the shop.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX AWD V6
42 Posts
The Sorento's brakes are some of the easiest brakes to do, I've done mine (all 4) in under an hour... and, no I'm no professional, but have changed brakes a few times in the past. Parts are about $30-40/rotor, about $50/set for Premium Pads... So $130/axel in parts ( I paid less, but I'm using retail pricing).

FYI: My Dealership (Northern California) charges $259/Axel for new pads and to resurface the rotors... I just looked it up. Probably a local shop would do it for about $159-199.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts