Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2018 kia sorento ex
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Kia Sorento EX and i have been having this problem for 2 yrs , Eagle Kia in Riverhead NY states this model "does not "have auto door lock/unlock feature .
I talked to my mechanic and mechanics from other dealers and they all say the same thing , that almost all cars prior to 2018 , even the cheapest models have that feature . When putting the vehicle in drive majority of cars today the doors will auto lock and putting into park auto unlock . But the mechanics , tech's and supposedly engineers at Eagle Kia state that only the top model has this feature .
I have researched this on this forum and came up with quite a few people who had the same problem with the 2018 Kia Sorento EX ( and other Sorentos ), they also brought theirs back to the dealer and were told the same thing as i was . After they did further investigating it was found that this option was left out in the cluster at the factory , " but " there was a way of correcting it . In this forum other people owning the 2018 KIA SORENTO EX had this corrected by the dealer using what is called a " GTS " tool to reset the options , ( i believe in the cluster ) and the auto door lock/unlock feature was now visible and usable .
I gave this info to Eagle Kia Riverhead and today was told " only the Sorento EX with the Moonroof " has the feature !!!!
As you can see i am totally confused , it seems in the forums i read here this problem is fixable , but according to Kia its not . Is there anyone that can help me with
possibly more info on this ? I would greatly appreciate it .
thank you
Jerry

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,613 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,135 Posts
In the previous generation Kia/Hyundai vehicles (including quite a number of different models), this wasn't a user accessible option, but could be modified using the Hyundai/Kia tool available to all dealers (the GTS you mentioned, which is actually a GDS). It could be set to operate not at all, kick in when shift selected to Drive, or to kick in the locks at various speeds once the vehicle was in motion. It is probable that the GDS can still be used to set the configuration for door locks. Haven't fooled with a GDS since the CM series Santa Fe, and this Sorento is equivalent of the DM series Santa Fe. Still, I think it's worth another chat with a different dealer.

·
Registered
2018 kia sorento ex
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In the previous generation Kia/Hyundai vehicles (including quite a number of different models), this wasn't a user accessible option, but could be modified using the Hyundai/Kia tool available to all dealers (the GTS you mentioned, which is actually a GDS). It could be set to operate not at all, kick in when shift selected to Drive, or to kick in the locks at various speeds once the vehicle was in motion. It is probable that the GDS can still be used to set the configuration for door locks. Haven't fooled with a GDS since the CM series Santa Fe, and this Sorento is equivalent of the DM series Santa Fe. Still, I think it's worth another chat with a different dealer.
Thank you for your help and in process moving this post to correct location , ty again

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
453 Posts
I'm not sure how this feature gets "left out" as it is purely a software programming issue since power door locks are standard. I haven't owned a car in the last twenty years that didn't do this and which wasn't programmable by the owner to not work at all, only lock/unlock drivers side door, etc.. My 17 year old Toyota will even let you determine whether it happens as soon as you put it in drive or wait until the car hits 7mph. It's as much a safety feature as convenience one - women especially, approaching their car after dark, likely only want to unlock the drivers door and for sure have everything lock when they start to drive off. Plus, it's in the owners manual and I don't remember the usual admonition of "available on select models" - I believe it's general information applicable to all models.

Gotta agree with ec that another dealership is in order and when they successfully fix it, a visit back to the dealer that said it couldn't be done with the paperwork and the functioning system - tell them a series of free oil changes will help alleviate the animosity you feel towards them for being totally incompetent.

·
Registered
Sportage 2018 LX AWD with Premium Package
13 Posts
My KIA Sportage 2018 LX AWD automatically locks the doors a few seconds after it's put in drive, I've never heard of a newer vehicle not having that feature, even the cheap ones!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts