Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Soul!
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All!! I am going through the same steps many others have in regard to trying to squeeze a bit more power out of the 1.6L Turbo engine in the 2018! Thought I would document the process here.

Step 1. Replace Stock air filter for K&N - I wanted to start here as after researching and reading through the forums I thought, what would be the point of pulling the stock box and replacing it with an aftermarket intake if the current set up is pulling air from "outside" the engine compartment and a ram intake with a cone and heat shield would be pulling from "inside" the engine compartment. Does the "warmer" air offset any gains from slicker, straighter tubing? Or does the "cooler" air with the restrictive tubing provide better results?

So this is my starting point. So far I notice quicker pick up with slightly more power overall using the stock set up and swapping the filter.
My ultimate goal is to install the aftermarket intake for the Veloster and figure out a way to get the cold air from outside to the cone and to remove the huge triangular muffler to be replaced with a magna or something. Haven't decided yet.

I appreciate all those who have come before me and given me a great starting point.

I will keep you posted and future changes will come with pics.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SXL
50 Posts
You're on the right track with the air intake, the only other change that would help would be on the exhaust system, but that would void your warranty. Not too much you can do to get more HP and pass emissions. You can't change the timing. Use Top Tier high octane petrol.

·
Registered
2018 Soul!
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This morning coming to work I thought I would play with the manual option...WOW!!! I am a manual guy and have always owned vehicles with sticks but the soul only has a stick in the base model. Never owned or driven an automatic as my personal vehicle, Anyway, by controlling when it shifts, it makes a huge difference in sound and speed. Keeping it at 3500 to 5000 at all times through acceleration obviously keeps you in the powerband and keeps the turbo spooled. I let off the gas as if I was shifting a clutch at each gear and I felt like I was driving a stick "almost"... So my morning commute changed my mind and now I am going to buy the Injen SIR intake. They are 45 days out so it will be awhile before I get it but as soon as I do and it is installed, I will get the pics uploaded.

2018!
2008 Spectra EX
2006 Rio

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,692 Posts
You do have it sport mode correct?

·
Registered
2018 Soul!
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You do have it sport mode correct?
I did not but thank you for bringing that up. I will put it in sport mode and check it on the way home today. I have only had it for a few weeks and I am still getting used to it and all of the options it has. I just realized the back seats are heated yesterday. I did go ahead and order the Injen SRI today. Might have it Jan 21. Cannot wait for that.

·
Super Moderator
4,692 Posts
If you were NOT in sport mode, it will make a HUGE difference. Way more than a cold air kit will.
Let me know if I'm right......

·
Registered
2018 Soul!
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you were NOT in sport mode, it will make a HUGE difference. Way more than a cold air kit will.
Let me know if I'm right......
Copy that, I will reply in the morning. Sport mode in fully auto and then I will switch to the manny auto. What do they call that? the +/- next to Drive?

·
Registered
2018 Soul!
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I have decided not to jack with the factory airbox. I completely disassembled it over the weekend. I do not understand why KIA made an incredibly small plastic induction port and added endless miles of plastic tubing and even a secondary box that the air has to travel through to make it to the airbox. It could have come in through the grill port and down to the lower portion of the airbox and done. I am assuming it is for sound dampening as the 2nd box parts list calls it out as the "Air Resonator". For those unaware, see the blow up of the assembly.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Soul!
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wanted to share some info on exhaust. I see alot of different opinions on what to delete or add blah blah...So I wanted to chime in and offer my advice and insight. I see people asking or stating they want to or have deleted their "resonator". You shouldn't delete the resonator. This controls the drone or hum at cruising speed and if you do not have one, the drone on the highway will drive you nuts. Cat converters and resonators both came about after I was born so I had to do my own research and luckily I have a young friend that does exhaust mods all day long. So when I asked about deleting mine he said no sir, but gave me direction and why. The resonator on a 2018 soul! (1.6l turbo) is at the back end with the dual tips on it, this is not the "muffler". I did do a muffler delete which is between the cat and the resonator. I still have the cat for emissions and the resonator for drone. Now my exhaust note is deeper and unless I get on it, it is still quiet. Putting it in auto-manual mode and letting the RPM's get up to 3000-4500 allows the turbo to spool and it sounds lovely. So cut out the "muffler" and add straight pipe where it was and voila...There is also no lag now in 1st and 2nd into 3rd on the power. It took me 6 months to make a decision after much reading and research and scouring the forums for info from others. I am glad I waited as I was going to yank the resonator as it is bolt on from the axle back and replace with a MF or Borla or something and then I would have just had 2 mufflers and been restricted AF...Good luck Soul tuners.

·
Super Moderator
4,692 Posts
Did you ever try the sport mode?

·
Registered
2018 Soul!
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Did you ever try the sport mode?
Oh yeah. Huge difference. In true auto it shifts at about 2300 rpm's every time through all 7. Never get a spool. Now I can hear it, feel it pull and have no lag as I mentioned above. I have seen posts about the check engine light coming on, loss of power/torque and reduced mpg when messing with the exhaust. I am suffering from none of these. I actually did an mpg test and as long as I am in drive, it is no different but if I switch to sport mode slap it into auto-manual and get on it, my mpg drops drastically.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts