Kia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,316 Posts
Is anyone able to point me in the direction of a single thread where the problem has actually been resolved? I can't find a single thread for Hyun/Kia where anyone has said the problem has gone away.

Do you think I can request they "undo" the campaign? Everything was fine up until that point..
Don't know where you've been looking, but I've read LOTS of reports over the past couple of years of the limp mode/P1326 being resolved. The 2 most common ways it happens is either with the knock sensor wiring harness replacement, or the engine replaced. There also have been some cases of redoing the computer update, and also where replacing the knock sensor took care of the problem.

HOWEVER, I've never read anything like what's happened with your vehicle, where they have done everything (some twice), except replacing the engine. And there was also some stuff that didn't sound quite right to me, so it's hard to say what's going on with this stealership. I don't think they have any other choice at this point except replacing the engine, but I've said that before, and they fooled me by coming up with yet another thing to try. I'm sure you must feel like you've been put through a meat grinder a couple times by now.

I've always suspected they will eventually release an 'undo' of this upgrade, but so far at least there's been no word of that actually happening.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,607 Posts
Is this the same topic discussed here:

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
978 Posts
Another day another loaner Kia Forte 5
Man, I feel sorry for you. I have a 2017 2.4L and have had absolutely no problems. Perhaps I'm just lucky, but there seems to be a very small percentage of all cars that have major issues like yours. Given the percentages, if you like the car, try to force Kia to give you another car as a replacement. The probability of getting a lemon two times in a row is extremely small.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
It's all good my friend, there are certainly worse things in life! Aside from the headache of the car being down, we're now realizing that we are making a payment far larger than the worth of the car we have as a loaner. It doesn't have AWD or remote start both of which we bought for specific reasons. With the weather we've been having it's been a real source of contention. In my mind we should be in another comparable AWD vehicle for the time being.

·
Registered
2017 AWD Sportage SX - Black / Beige
2,002 Posts
Don't know where you've been looking, but I've read LOTS of reports over the past couple of years of the limp mode/P1326 being resolved. The 2 most common ways it happens is either with the knock sensor wiring harness replacement, or the engine replaced. There also have been some cases of redoing the computer update, and also where replacing the knock sensor took care of the problem.

HOWEVER, I've never read anything like what's happened with your vehicle, where they have done everything (some twice), except replacing the engine. And there was also some stuff that didn't sound quite right to me, so it's hard to say what's going on with this stealership. I don't think they have any other choice at this point except replacing the engine, but I've said that before, and they fooled me by coming up with yet another thing to try. I'm sure you must feel like you've been put through a meat grinder a couple times by now.

I've always suspected they will eventually release an 'undo' of this upgrade, but so far at least there's been no word of that actually happening.
if they do release an "undo" it will be in the form of yet another "update" rather than admit they blew it and are going back to square one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
I'll be sure to call them on their bullshit if they do upgrade (undo) the campaign. How possible is it that they "undo" the campaign and disguise it as something else? example, "upgraded ECM programming" or some non sense like that.

Went to get groceries last night in the 11' Forte and the trunk latch is busted out. We can't open the trunk from the outside or with the fob. Regional Kia rep was supposed to stop by the dealer yesterday and do whatever it is he does (rolls eyes) and we haven't heard anything back.

Last week the girlfriend brought the service centre a box of donuts for their efforts, I figured we would go the opposite route of what most people do (scream and yell). She sat down with the owner of the dealership and he said he couldn't give her anything else on the lot because it didn't have winter tires. I wish I had been there. Her winter tires and rims would fit any of the Sportages on that lot, just swap em, easy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
You'll all probably think I am making this up.. but the 2011 Forte loaner that we have.. flashing check engine light and limp mode. We are at a loss for words. I can't say for sure it's the same issue but it sure sounds a lot like it. When she called me to tell me it was hard to make out as she was pretty irate lol

Maybe it's my girlfriend? maybe she possesses some kind of automobile curse. Does anyone do automobile exorcisms?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Someone from Kia came to pick up the Forte and drop off a Soul. Keep in mind these have all been decade old vehicles. Apparently the Forte was flooded, that's why it was running odd and flashing the check engine light.... what year is this? I honestly don't recall the last time a modern fuel injection engine flooded. I feel bad for this dealer, this has got to be embarrassing.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Flooding is not that uncommon. The injectors can get dirty and stick open. Sometimes this lets off the pressure on the fuel system when the engine is cut off by allowing the fuel to drain into one or more cylinders, which could jam the engine and break a connecting rod on the next start if it happens on a compression stroke. This is another reason I use a fuel additive in all my vehicles. Since I started this in the early '90s I haven't had a fueling problem or any fuel system service on any vehicle.
Of course that's not the only reason the fuel injection can flood an engine but its probably the most common.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Well, Kia Soul died! just kidding. It's been fine for what it is. Luckily we haven't had any bad weather. Local dealer called, frustrated with Kia Canada dragging its feet. Service manager instructed us to Call Kia Canada and light a fire under their ass. Appreciate his concern but this seems like a lot to expect the customer to do, this should be pretty simple in my mind. Buy it back, or replace the engine. Really the most work we should have to do is driving to pick up the repaired or replaced vehicle.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento
2 Posts
Please post what your outcome is with this issue. I am having a very similar issue, different model. Yesterday morning made the 4th time that my Sorento went into limp mode so it is back at the dealership where they claim they will find a solution once and for all. This morning their update was that they have been instructed to order a knock sensor and should have it in on Monday. I reached out to Kia Consumer Affairs in hopes that they will do something to make this right. I am so fed up with that car and their obvious cluelessness of what to do to permanently fix it. Do tell if they make it right for you!! Best wishes. I don't know about you, but I think I am done with Kia after this.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Not to worry, I post here to keep of log of the happenings and as well as share the progress to anyone that may have the same trouble.

Currently, Kia wants to keep her Sportage for as long as it takes for the check engine light to come on. Currently we're fighting to be reimbursed our payments for the amount of time they have it, or provide a comparable vehicle to drive while they do their testing. We're going on 3 weeks now, not counting the other 3 times we had a loaner for a few days. Kia will not do any further repairs until the check engine light comes on during the time they have their scanner hooked to it. So it's either we take it, and hope that it's fixed or they keep it and see if it breaks down again.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Kia still has the car, it sat at the dealer for the entire long weekend, no one driving it. We are very frustrated, someone could have been driving it, getting it to trigger the engine light, but there it sits. No other updates. We did speak to the service adviser, he admitted Kia is dragging it's feet on a repair because they don't want to pay up. Service Adviser also admitted to us the District manager told him that us calling Kia Canada would make the local dealer look bad and wouldn't get us (the owners) any further ahead. That kinda got me fired up, are we dealing with the Korean mob here??

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage
4 Posts
"Service Adviser also admitted to us the District manager told him that us calling Kia Canada would make the local dealer look bad and wouldn't get us (the owners) any further ahead. That kinda got me fired up, are we dealing with the Korean mob here?? "

No, not a Korean mob, just your local dealer.

Unfortunately, it's been my experience, with my local dealer, that neither the franchise dealer, nor Kia can be trusted to make honest statements.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I heard from the Service Adviser yesterday, I guess the car was sitting at the dealer because the check engine light came on for them and went into limp mode lol This time they had their equipment hooked up to it, can finally send some hard data to Kia. Hopefully this will finally be where they make the call on replace the engine or replace the vehicle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Call from the dealer, they got the green light to go ahead and replace the engine. No ETA on how long that will take.

We talked to them about some kind of reimbursement for the inconvenience and it sounds like they are willing to work with us on that. We'll see how that goes.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,316 Posts
It's a complete mystery to me why Kia didn't replace your engine months ago, just as they have done with so many others when the simpler fixes don't stop it from going into limp mode. But hopefully for your sake that's all in the rear view mirror now, and you'll once again have a reliable vehicle. And yes, Kia should give you extra compensation for all of the many inconveniences you've had because of their inability to figure this out.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
631 Posts
Call from the dealer, they got the green light to go ahead and replace the engine. No ETA on how long that will take.

We talked to them about some kind of reimbursement for the inconvenience and it sounds like they are willing to work with us on that. We'll see how that goes.
Please keep us informed!

41 - 60 of 68 Posts