Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Kia Sorento LX AWD V6
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new owner of a 2018 Sorento. It has the factory roof rails. I was looking at some aftermarket crossbars for the roof, but I notice there are two sets of holes pre-drilled on the inside of both roof rails. Are these for factory crossbars..? THX :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THX - I see I can get generic crossbars online that will attach to the side rails for not much for than $50, and the factory crossbars are $250? Is there a big difference? Sure a lot of price difference..

·
Registered
2018 Sorento Limited
17 Posts
I don’t know, but if you have a sunroof make sure they’re compatible. I kind of regret buying the factory cross bars as opposed to spending more for more versatile Yakima or Thule. There’s a limited selection of accessories for the factory bars.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no sunroof. I will do some more research. I don't have immediate plans to carry anything, but DON'T like the fact that you can't "tie off" things to these new kind of roof rails that have no space under them which to run rope, etc. like my 2005 Ford Escape had. Is this done for aerodynamics? Why would they NOT have a small gap under them which you can tie off to..?

·
Registered
2018 Sorento Limited
17 Posts
Totally agree. Bad design decision. I tried to find something I could clamp on to the factory bars to use for tying things down (separate thread somewhere), but didn’t find anything I liked. Haven’t looked recently though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bumpin this - is there any reason I whould opt for the expensive OEM crossbars versus sthe aftermarket ones available on EBAY or AMAZON..?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine is non-sunroof, I believe the sunroof requires special one? Anyways, I hope we can get some info soon, or I will just go ahead and buy an aftermarket one..

·
Registered
2018 Sportage EX
32 Posts
The only differences between OEM and non-OEM roof rack crossbars are appearance and crossbar profile. The appearance is subjective but the rail profile impacts the attachments that you can install on the roof. Some have a square profile, some are round and some have a streamlined oval type profile. They all have roughly the same capacity so there is no benefit of going OEM.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
THX - There are two threaded holes each side on the inside of each rail. Are these used to bolt the crossbars?

·
Registered
2018 Sportage EX
32 Posts
I think the holes are meant to secure the OEM crossbars in place. Many aftermarket bars simply clamp onto the rails on top of your car. This is what I have (my Sportage rails are similar to the Sorento's). They stay on very well, are adjustable and very easy to put on and take off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe that is why the OEM cost more, they are designed to bolt on? As long as the bars stay secure...

·
Registered
2018 Sorento Limited
17 Posts
The holes are not threaded. They are there to locate (or maybe to limit the location of) the factory crossbars, which are definitely not easy to remove and reinstall.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts