Kia Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportage SX AWD / Mineral silver with beige interior
917 Posts
My wheels are aftermarket as are the caliper covers. My original wheels now just handle my snows.
I remember the thread years ago on the caliper covers. Where did you end up buying them and were they hard to install by yourself?

·
Registered
2017 AWD Sportage SX Black Cherry/Beige
304 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportage SX AWD / Mineral silver with beige interior
917 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage SX AWD and 1988 Mercedes 300CE
375 Posts
The 2017 has lane warning. With lane assist the car will nudge the steering wheel back into your lane, it will also warn you that you may not be alert enough to continue driving if it has to make the correction too many times.

As for what made me switch, the improvements I listed plus renewed warranty, and I was able to work a pretty decent deal with the dealership.

Now for the downside: With 46,000 miles on the 2017 I was getting a mixed (city/highway) mileage of 19-21 mpg. With just 4,200 miles on the 2020 I am getting 17-19 (of course cold weather driving may be the largest contributor to this, I will have to see if it improves as the weather warms). I will be making a 415 mile round trip next Tuesday, so I will get to see what the highway mileage really is. The 2017 averaged 29-30 on similar highway trips.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
A follow up to this: Due to health issues I didn't make my long distance trip until today. And, I was very pleased with the result. I averaged 28.9 mpg for the round trip (right inline with my previous 2017).

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 AWD Sportage SX - Black / Beige
2,011 Posts
I'm keeping my '17 for the foreseeable future - at least that's my thinking. I was recently able to pay mine off early and since my mileage/year has gone down, I will easily make 10 years before 100K miles, and I probably will buy a policy that covers everything anyway, maybe next year. I'm not doing 5000 miles in 6 months so I just started a 6-month oil change interval - comes out to about 3500 miles.
A big factor for me is my age. I may be approaching the point where I already have my last car, so I really don't see a need to replace something that I love and that is fun and reliable. And hey, I might beat the odds and feel like having another new car in a few years, who knows?
Obviously probably none of you are at this point so it doesn't affect such a decision. I guess if I had any serious problems or misgivings about the '17 SX I still would at least look into the '20. Some of it may depend on what's coming from KIA - if there will be no '20 SX for example or if it would have even less power along with a CVT, there would be no question I would keep the one I have.
When I got in the SX for the first time, I loved it right away. It was over a week before I drove it at night the first time, and I still remember that feeling when everything inside lit up and those lights came on - the other time I remember a similar feeling was when I drove off in my new '76 Trans Am after getting out of a rusty '65 Mustang. Wow.
basically couldn't have said it better myself, plus the '20s only come in black or red and only with black leather interior. No beige leather, which I love with the Black cherry.

My daughter just bought a 20 Sedona, and I would love to have some of the remote stuff she has through her phone but other than that no real reason to upgrade. In four years I've only put on 60k km so I too may already be driving my last car, on fact, almost certainly am. I'm 67 and just had my heart attack and triple bypass on xMas eve so I'm ready to go hehehe. And despite a couple of broken plugs, this car has been dead reliable, basically zero defect to this point (plugs not withstanding).

And I just plain love the car. I got a good one i think. it still drives/sounds/feels brand new everytime I get in it. Zero oil consumption to this point.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,069 Posts
basically couldn't have said it better myself, plus the '20s only come in black or red and only with black leather interior. No beige leather, which I love with the Black cherry.

My daughter just bought a 20 Sedona, and I would love to have some of the remote stuff she has through her phone but other than that no real reason to upgrade. In four years I've only put on 60k km so I too may already be driving my last car, on fact, almost certainly am. I'm 67 and just had my heart attack and triple bypass on xMas eve so I'm ready to go hehehe. And despite a couple of broken plugs, this car has been dead reliable, basically zero defect to this point (plugs not withstanding).

And I just plain love the car. I got a good one i think. it still drives/sounds/feels brand new everytime I get in it. Zero oil consumption to this point.
Listen, young man... I'm 73 and had my first heart attack 26 years ago -- bypass and all -- and I'm still kicking strong. In fact, I'm probably in better shape. If I kick the bucket tomorrow, then this is my last car, but as long as I can still push the gas pedal, I'm going to be looking at the new cars coming down the pike, and if something strikes my fancy, I'll spend my children's inheritance and buy it. On the other hand, my other car is a sports car and the less expensive ones are going the way of the dodo bird. So I'll probably keep that one for a while. But I'm really looking forward to that Genesis GV70 which should be our car on steroids.... As an aside, I took up weight lifting when I was 69 -- have quadrupled my strength and improved my heart function by over 50% and lost about 30 pounds. So don't give up yet. It may take longer to recover from injuries, but you will and things can look up....

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Listen, young man... I'm 73 and had my first heart attack 26 years ago -- bypass and all -- and I'm still kicking strong. In fact, I'm probably in better shape. If I kick the bucket tomorrow, then this is my last car, but as long as I can still push the gas pedal, I'm going to be looking at the new cars coming down the pike, and if something strikes my fancy, I'll spend my children's inheritance and buy it. On the other hand, my other car is a sports car and the less expensive ones are going the way of the dodo bird. So I'll probably keep that one for a while. But I'm really looking forward to that Genesis GV70 which should be our car on steroids.... As an aside, I took up weight lifting when I was 69 -- have quadrupled my strength and improved my heart function by over 50% and lost about 30 pounds. So don't give up yet. It may take longer to recover from injuries, but you will and things can look up....
Sir Yes Sir.....consider it done Sir!.

Hey I too have been pretty avid exercise freak all my life. I'm not over weight, don't drink or smoke and could pass an aviation phlysical for my commercial ticket upto about 5 years ago and..well...quite frankly this diagnosis and all the rest stunned me. it was like..."we better do this right now" kinda deal. Anyway i'm feeling pretty good now an I too have noticed the V70...a gentleman's Stinger......hmmm a little more punch wouldn't hurt fer sure....

·
Registered
304 Posts
Well today is my 4 year anniversary with my SX and its still a love affair. I think only Sloppy has me beat on longevity and then again not by much! Only one issue of concern was having to replace my starter. All covered by the warranty. As for upgrading, there's really not enough there to get me to move on although some of the changes do get me thinking. I'm 71 on the 25th and still hope to have another new vehicle in my list.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Well today is my 4 year anniversary with my SX and its still a love affair. I think only Sloppy has me beat on longevity and then again not by much! Only one issue of concern was having to replace my starter. All covered by the warranty. As for upgrading, there's really not enough there to get me to move on although some of the changes do get me thinking. I'm 71 on the 25th and still hope to have another new vehicle list.
nope....May 24/16 was the day i took delivery fredp....two more days.

new starter huh?....I wouldn't sweat it if that's been the only problem. I'll trade broken plugs for that bum starter any day and I'm keeping mine :)

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,069 Posts
nope....May 24/16 was the day i took delivery fredp....two more days.

new starter huh?....I wouldn't sweat it if that's been the only problem. I'll trade broken plugs for that bum starter any day and I'm keeping mine :)
I never buy a new car when it is first produced. Over the years I've found that it's best to give it 6 months or so of manufacturing to work out any production/quality issues. If you've ever started up a manufacturing line, you'll know what I mean. But I'll tell you, I liked this car so much that it was hard to wait out those 6 months. I still like it and have had no problems except for a leaking window washer pump and a corroded battery -- both replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Do you folks remember the guy who bought a 17 and had issue after issue with it. The only thing missing was having his car bombarded by hail and pestilence... Always calm telling us the lastest calamity and his struggle to envoke the lemon law. Always calm like it was no big deal. A real Lifetime Story.... I was beginning to think this guy was punking us. Then all of a sudden one day he posts a pic of his loaded Q5 Audi and he was never heard of again..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Do you folks remember the guy who bought a 17 and had issue after issue with it. The only thing missing was having his car bombarded by hail and pestilence... Always calm telling us the lastest calamity and his struggle to envoke the lemon law. Always calm like it was no big deal. A real Lifetime Story.... I was beginning to think this guy was punking us. Then all of a sudden one day he posts a pic of his loaded Q5 Audi and he was never heard of again..:rolleyes:
yup I remember him

21 - 32 of 32 Posts