Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Sportage SX 2017
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw the 0% 75 month financing and zero interest anything gets my attention.

I have a 2017 SX approaching 50k miles. The Black Cherry is a pain to keep clean.

Looking at the Steel Gray 2020 SX. I like the wireless charging as well as auto start and temp control from the phone app. Bot sure if that is extra.

Only item that bums me out are those fog lamps. The ice cubes from the 2017 model look much better, agreed?

Anyway, the car runs fine but with it reaching 50k, being 1st model year of that redesign I'm thinking of pulling the trigger.

Anyone have feedback between those two model years?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 LX & 2020 EX KIA Sportages
75 Posts
Just saw the 0% 75 month financing and zero interest anything gets my attention.

I have a 2017 SX approaching 50k miles. The Black Cherry is a pain to keep clean.

Looking at the Steel Gray 2020 SX. I like the wireless charging as well as auto start and temp control from the phone app. Bot sure if that is extra.

Only item that bums me out are those fog lamps. The ice cubes from the 2017 model look much better, agreed?

Anyway, the car runs fine but with it reaching 50k, being 1st model year of that redesign I'm thinking of pulling the trigger.

Anyone have feedback between those two model years?

Really like our 2013. Recent;y got a 2020 but they didn't have the gray so we got red. "Looks like burgundy." I kept the gray as a beater as it's still in good shape. With the virus, companies are getting desperate to sell.

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportage SX AWD / Mineral silver with beige interior
917 Posts
I have a 2017 Mineral Silver SX which is way more gray than silver. I'm not a guy that keeps the exterior spotless because every time I wash the SX it rains soon after. I did do a good hand wash and dry a week ago and it looked great. I also love my cubed fog lights! Not sure why you want to change at only 50k miles. I just had new plugs installed because the manual recommends it and my SX runs fantastic. I can see me keeping it beyond 100k miles very easily.

·
Registered
Sportage SX 2017
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 2017 Mineral Silver SX which is way more gray than silver. I'm not a guy that keeps the exterior spotless because every time I wash the SX it rains soon after. I did do a good hand wash and dry a week ago and it looked great. I also love my cubed fog lights! Not sure why you want to change at only 50k miles. I just had new plugs installed because the manual recommends it and my SX runs fantastic. I can see me keeping it beyond 100k miles very easily.
No doubt.

My reason for changing is the free financing (not that my current financing is bad, just not zero). I'm running out of warranty, while small I prefer the new emergency brake over the foot peg and the wireless charging while not efficient will serve its purpose over long drives.

I still have my 2006 EX with 85k original miles so I'm not opposed to keeping a car without a payment. I got that to replace my 2002 Sportage convertible and then in 2016 bought the 2017 SX AWD.

Just not seeing a reason to not upgrade for what will be a brand new car, new full warranty with a few minor upgrades but upgrades nonetheless.

I was going to pay this one off and get a Telluride in 2 years. But after going back and forth with a family of 3 I'm not sure I need that much car for almost $50k. Definitely worth the scratch but the Sportage is more my size and need.

Biggest obstacles are the change in fog lamps and getting another 3 or 4 years of the same interior for the most part. Wish it changed a little more in the cabin over the last few years.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage SX AWD and 1988 Mercedes 300CE
375 Posts
Last August I moved from my black cherry 2017 SX to a sparkling silver 2020 SX. I am very pleased with the move. The inclusion of active cruise control, lane assist were 2 biggies for me. But, I was surprised at the number of "minor" interior improvements. The flush mounted nav.screen, soft touch dash pad, improved driver's info screen, updated steering wheel controls, relocated shift paddles (closer to wheel and shorter movement), better seat material (full leather on SX), and last and least compass on rear view mirror.

Exterior wise, in reality the new fog lights still function like the cubes, I like the LED headlights, but miss the bend-lighting feature, I also like that with the 2020 when you turn on a turn signal all of the white LED DRLs stay on (so you have the yellow flashing turn signal and the DRLs on at same time). The 2017 would turn off the DRLs on the flashing turn signal side of the car. Minor thing, but I like the change.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
375 Posts
BTW: Although I like the idea of the cellphone charge pad, a large phone such as the Note 10+ will not fit on it.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
My reason for changing is the free financing (not that my current financing is bad, just not zero). I'm running out of warranty, while small I prefer the new emergency brake over the foot peg and the wireless charging while not efficient will serve its purpose over long drives.

I do realize most of the reasons except that you should have a lot of warranty left. I just want to pay mine off and be 100% debt free. My last vehicle I had for sixteen years and eleven of those were without a payment. I have thought about when I do end up in a retirement home to lease a new car every three years but really have never seen a good reason to lease (rent) a car.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,069 Posts

I do realize most of the reasons except that you should have a lot of warranty left. I just want to pay mine off and be 100% debt free. My last vehicle I had for sixteen years and eleven of those were without a payment. I have thought about when I do end up in a retirement home to lease a new car every three years but really have never seen a good reason to lease (rent) a car.
The big problem when you retire is that you don't put on the miles you did before. I only have 22K miles on my 2017 EX after 3.5 years. Even if financing is a good deal, the loss in depreciation is much larger than any savings due to interest rates. It is almost never a good financial thing to buy a new car because of financing because now you'll lose twice the depreciation. If you want a new car because of features, then you can look at the financial trade-off and argue that that extra money you paid was worth the features. I will sell my EX after owning it for 5 years because I just like having new cars and am willing to spend my children's inheritance on it. More than likely, I'll move into a Genesis GV70 (which is coming out next year) because I like quiet cars....

·
Registered
Sportage SX 2017
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Last August I moved from my black cherry 2017 SX to a sparkling silver 2020 SX. I am very pleased with the move. The inclusion of active cruise control, lane assist were 2 biggies for me. But, I was surprised at the number of "minor" interior improvements. The flush mounted nav.screen, soft touch dash pad, improved driver's info screen, updated steering wheel controls, relocated shift paddles (closer to wheel and shorter movement), better seat material (full leather on SX), and last and least compass on rear view mirror.

Exterior wise, in reality the new fog lights still function like the cubes, I like the LED headlights, but miss the bend-lighting feature, I also like that with the 2020 when you turn on a turn signal all of the white LED DRLs stay on (so you have the yellow flashing turn signal and the DRLs on at same time). The 2017 would turn off the DRLs on the flashing turn signal side of the car. Minor thing, but I like the change.

Great stuff.

I thought we have lane assist in the 17 though?

What made you make your move?

·
Registered
375 Posts
The 2017 has lane warning. With lane assist the car will nudge the steering wheel back into your lane, it will also warn you that you may not be alert enough to continue driving if it has to make the correction too many times.

As for what made me switch, the improvements I listed plus renewed warranty, and I was able to work a pretty decent deal with the dealership.

Now for the downside: With 46,000 miles on the 2017 I was getting a mixed (city/highway) mileage of 19-21 mpg. With just 4,200 miles on the 2020 I am getting 17-19 (of course cold weather driving may be the largest contributor to this, I will have to see if it improves as the weather warms). I will be making a 415 mile round trip next Tuesday, so I will get to see what the highway mileage really is. The 2017 averaged 29-30 on similar highway trips.

·
Registered
Sportage SX 2017
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have 47.5k miles on mine.

What did you get on trade and what was your purchase price on the new one of u don't mind answering.

·
Registered
Sportage SX 2017
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 2017 has lane warning. With lane assist the car will nudge the steering wheel back into your lane, it will also warn you that you may not be alert enough to continue driving if it has to make the correction too many times.

As for what made me switch, the improvements I listed plus renewed warranty, and I was able to work a pretty decent deal with the dealership.

Now for the downside: With 46,000 miles on the 2017 I was getting a mixed (city/highway) mileage of 19-21 mpg. With just 4,200 miles on the 2020 I am getting 17-19 (of course cold weather driving may be the largest contributor to this, I will have to see if it improves as the weather warms). I will be making a 415 mile round trip next Tuesday, so I will get to see what the highway mileage really is. The 2017 averaged 29-30 on similar highway trips.

Grc gr Getty tg g gr gg gr4 rye h ggg

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
The big problem when you retire is that you don't put on the miles you did before.

I drive way more in retirement than I did before. I was going to do about 6,000 miles on vacations this summer before the virus.
Still plan on at least two shorter trips this year. The steering correction and phone charging pad do nothing for me. I really would
like the new cruise control but that's about it.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I'm keeping my '17 for the foreseeable future - at least that's my thinking. I was recently able to pay mine off early and since my mileage/year has gone down, I will easily make 10 years before 100K miles, and I probably will buy a policy that covers everything anyway, maybe next year. I'm not doing 5000 miles in 6 months so I just started a 6-month oil change interval - comes out to about 3500 miles.
A big factor for me is my age. I may be approaching the point where I already have my last car, so I really don't see a need to replace something that I love and that is fun and reliable. And hey, I might beat the odds and feel like having another new car in a few years, who knows?
Obviously probably none of you are at this point so it doesn't affect such a decision. I guess if I had any serious problems or misgivings about the '17 SX I still would at least look into the '20. Some of it may depend on what's coming from KIA - if there will be no '20 SX for example or if it would have even less power along with a CVT, there would be no question I would keep the one I have.
When I got in the SX for the first time, I loved it right away. It was over a week before I drove it at night the first time, and I still remember that feeling when everything inside lit up and those lights came on - the other time I remember a similar feeling was when I drove off in my new '76 Trans Am after getting out of a rusty '65 Mustang. Wow.

·
Registered
Sportage SX 2017
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I decided not to pull the trigger. I have just over a year of payments left amd then I'll own outright. Trade amount they offered was more than fair.

When I went to look at them last weekend the only item that stood out was the new screen for the info center.

Using the Black Cherry as an apples to apples comparison. They got rid of all the chrome accents. The chrome stripe along the base of the doors where running boards go. Roof rack is now all black instead of chrome too. Grill is all black instead of the chrome outline.

Taillights are now double decker instead of a single lens.

Wasn't blown away by the new rim's. Sporty AF but way to much visibility on the brakes. One thing if they dipped the caliper in a color. I just envision looking at a rusty looking mess behind those floss shaped rims in a year.

While financing is fantastic I rather keep the 17 as a backup car and pull the trigger on a 2022 Sportage. Ideally at that time the SX trim gets the birds eye monitoring and a few other things from the Telluride.

·
Registered
2017 AWD Sportage SX Black Cherry/Beige
304 Posts
Wasn't blown away by the new rim's. Sporty AF but way to much visibility on the brakes. One thing if they dipped the caliper in a color. I just envision looking at a rusty looking mess behind those floss shaped rims in a year.
I did these three years ago and they look as good as new today. I hear ya on everything else 20045493_10155555310733343_7085289843796087100_o.jpg

·
Registered
Sportage SX 2017
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did these three years ago and they look as good as new today. I hear ya on everything else View attachment 114694
I like the red but that was done aftermarket? I think the rim's are slightly different than the ones I saw. Mine looked more like a spider web. like the floss look but much cleaner as they are straight spokes.

·
Registered
2017 AWD Sportage SX Black Cherry/Beige
304 Posts
My wheels are aftermarket as are the caliper covers. My original wheels now just handle my snows.

·
Registered
Sportage SX 2017
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My wheels are aftermarket as are the caliper covers. My original wheels now just handle my snows.
We are aligned. If the 2020 had your aftermarket setup my view would be a bit different on pushing through with the purchase.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts