Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Haven't purchased yet.
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. New to the forum.
My wife and I are shopping for a 2017 Sportage SX (2.0T).
With the virus and the major shut downs, we haven't been able to go test drive one yet, but I'm fairly familiar with the products.

My question is regarding the traction control. We used to have a 2017 Santa fe awd sport with the 2.0t. Traction control was very aggressive in this car, to the point i feel it could create an unsafe situation.
The traction control would cut the throttle drastically with any little bit of slip. This could be as little as catching some sand, going over a pot hole, or trying to pull out onto a street. Numerous times weve had the car basically cut all power regardless of how much we press the gas. This lasts a few seconds and then let's you resume.

Googling if Sportage shared a similar issue, is see that there are complaints about the previous generation (2016 and earlier) doing the exact same thing. I even see complaints about it on these forums.

My question is, does the new generation (2017+) Sportage have a revised traction control system? I drove later Hyundai's that will cut throttle slightly but still allow some spin and acceleration without being intrusive. I just don't know if the current generation of Sportage had adopted it.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportage SX AWD / Mineral silver with beige interior
917 Posts
Almost 4 years of ownership and I've only had the traction control activated a few times and I live in the Colorado Rockies.
The AWD system seems to take care of everything.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage LX
52 Posts
I agree with SS Sportage the traction control in mine here in Alaska with six months of ice covered roads works near flawlessly. If you get in a situation where none of the wheels want to turn all you have to do is push the traction control button and turn it off till you get the car to do what you want it to then just turn it back on. I think the traction control makes this car an unbelievable performer in ice and snow. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
754 Posts
If it helps, you can turn off the traction control. The button is located on the lower left side, next to your knee.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage SX AWD and 1988 Mercedes 300CE
375 Posts
The traction control can be aggressive if you are attempting to pull into traffic from a snowy/icey surface (which can be very dangerous). I have been turning mine off in those situations, then turning it on while cruising.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Haven't purchased yet.
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. While I understand that turning traction control is an option, a good traction control should never impede safety. From what is being described it sounds like the Sportage traction control does not dangerously cut the throttle. If it did, I'm sure you'd all be sharing a different experience. Perhaps if there is someone on here that has had both generations could chime in, they could confirm they use different systems.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would consider it "reasonable" it works as you would expect. It's intrusive enough to work but not too intrusive to be limiting. I'm very critical of these systems as well, I had a 2017 Accent which suffered the power cut, it was very evident in the winter and would almost stall the car (manual trans).

·
Registered
Haven't purchased yet.
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would consider it "reasonable" it works as you would expect. It's intrusive enough to work but not too intrusive to be limiting. I'm very critical of these systems as well, I had a 2017 Accent which suffered the power cut, it was very evident in the winter and would almost stall the car (manual trans).
You definitely experienced it too then! Glad to hear you don't find the sportage to have the same issue. We have yet to test drive one but when I do I doubt we'll really be able to test that out, so I thought I'd ask here.
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
926 Posts
With the 'Dyna-Max' AWD, you won't have that issue. It also has a 4W 'lock' that can be used in really bad conditions up to 25 MPH, when it automatically cuts out. if you can go 25, you don't need the axles locked together - regular AWD is sufficient. I don't think AWD models even have 'traction control' per se - its all handled by the 'smart' Dyna-Max.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage SX AWD and 1988 Mercedes 300CE
375 Posts
With the 'Dyna-Max' AWD, you won't have that issue. It also has a 4W 'lock' that can be used in really bad conditions up to 25 MPH, when it automatically cuts out. if you can go 25, you don't need the axles locked together - regular AWD is sufficient. I don't think AWD models even have 'traction control' per se - its all handled by the 'smart' Dyna-Max.
Both my 2017 SX AWD and the 2020 SX AWD had/have TC, and it works by applying the brakes to the slipping wheel. That is what can create scary situations when pulling into traffic from a snow covered road (hence the reason I turn it off in those situations, and rely upon the capabilities of the Dyna-Max system).

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts