Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
499 Posts
Have you tried Ms. Google? I'm sure she will take you down the rabbit hole of performance parts companies wanting to part you of your hard earned money!

You could install a Nitrous Oxide fogging system for an easy +100 HP increase, but what about the durability of the rest of the drivetrain components?

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage SX AWD and 1988 Mercedes 300CE
359 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX AWD
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you tried Ms. Google? I'm sure she will take you down the rabbit hole of performance parts companies wanting to part you of your hard earned money!

You could install a Nitrous Oxide fogging system for an easy +100 HP increase, but what about the durability of the rest of the drivetrain components?
Yeah, this i know, and have done that but I was hoping to see if anyone has actual experience and not just an opinion. ;)

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
499 Posts
I believe what others, including me, are trying to tell you is the turbo motor is already tapped out for everything it can produce, deliver, and still carry a warranty.

Pushing it much further will only lead to mass carnage of components....My 2 cents.

If you really want to get creative stuff a LS7 or LS9 Vette engine under the hood! ;)

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
957 Posts
Yeah, this i know, and have done that but I was hoping to see if anyone has actual experience and not just an opinion. ;)
Tuning chips are a total waste of money along with CAI's, K&N filters, exhaust modifications, etc. The gains they claim are never realized in real life. How do I know? I've tested a bunch of these things on several different cars. In the olden days (40-50 years ago), engines were starved for air and because there were lots of us doing modding, chips and intakes had a real function. But with modern ECU's and tight manufacturing specs, gains are extremely slight, if at all. The last chip I tested on a dyno was about 12 years ago. The chip manufacturer claimed a hp increase of slightly over 20%. Our testing (our car club) got a 0.5% (that's half of one percent) increase and that was with a much rougher idle. Today, modders just reprogram the ECU -- they don't do chips. Besides, the testing they do is rigged by controlling the variables or by using extremely high octane gas or by testing limited ranges. VW did this with gas mileage and was successfully sued. It's your car, and it's your money. You might as well lower the car for better handling, getting 4" exhaust pipes, and using E85. Nitrous would be fun as long as you didn't care how long you lived. If you really wanted high performance, do yourself a favor and buy a high performance car with over 400 horses. Again, don't waste your money on cheap upgrades -- you do get what you pay for.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX AWD
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe what others, including me, are trying to tell you is the turbo motor is already tapped out for everything it can produce, deliver, and still carry a warranty.

Pushing it much further will only lead to mass carnage of components....My 2 cents.

If you really want to get creative stuff a LS7 or LS9 Vette engine under the hood! ;)
So are you implying that the Sportage engine is the weaker/weakest Kia engine around? I think not... They use the same engine block for Stingers, ya know? And they make them for other Kia cars: Performance chips – Chip tuning by RaceChip for Kia Stinger (ck) 2.0 T-GDi (188KW) | RaceChip
You know why they don't make them?... they think they won't sell because it's a Sportage and Sportage owners tend to not 'mod' their cars. A chip isn't going to create 'mass carnage' lol... That's funny. But i appreciate your 2 cents - not taking it to the bank though ;)

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX AWD
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tuning chips are a total waste of money along with CAI's, K&N filters, exhaust modifications, etc. The gains they claim are never realized in real life. How do I know? I've tested a bunch of these things on several different cars. In the olden days (40-50 years ago), engines were starved for air and because there were lots of us doing modding, chips and intakes had a real function. But with modern ECU's and tight manufacturing specs, gains are extremely slight, if at all. The last chip I tested on a dyno was about 12 years ago. The chip manufacturer claimed a hp increase of slightly over 20%. Our testing (our car club) got a 0.5% (that's half of one percent) increase and that was with a much rougher idle. Today, modders just reprogram the ECU -- they don't do chips. Besides, the testing they do is rigged by controlling the variables or by using extremely high octane gas or by testing limited ranges. VW did this with gas mileage and was successfully sued. It's your car, and it's your money. You might as well lower the car for better handling, getting 4" exhaust pipes, and using E85. Nitrous would be fun as long as you didn't care how long you lived. If you really wanted high performance, do yourself a favor and buy a high performance car with over 400 horses. Again, don't waste your money on cheap upgrades -- you do get what you pay for.
I've chipped many cars in my day and have always had success.. VW's, my Mini Cooper... all with increased HPs and even better gas milage. Okay, so i say chip... it's easier that calling it a ECU reprogrammer. lol. I appreciate your feedback, but I still haven't heard from anyone with a Sportage that has one... your 12 years and older experience doesn't really apply with what I looking for. Thanks though.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
957 Posts
I've chipped many cars in my day and have always had success.. VW's, my Mini Cooper... all with increased HPs and even better gas milage. Okay, so i say chip... it's easier that calling it a ECU reprogrammer. lol. I appreciate your feedback, but I still haven't heard from anyone with a Sportage that has one... your 12 years and older experience doesn't really apply with what I looking for. Thanks though.
My cousin chipped his Mini and thought he had increased HP and mpg. However, when we actually put it on the dyno we found that much of it was in his mind and not the numbers. It turned out that when he put the chip in he drove more aggressively and when looking for mpg, drove more economically (obviously at different times). Reprogramming the ECU is far less effective today than it was in the past so my last experience 12 years ago should have been a lot better. I'm a numbers guy and want physical proof of the difference. Touchy, feely is not my cup of tea.... If you want to spend those extra bucks you have in your back pocket, go ahead and take a chance if it makes you feel better. However, with the cylinder problems in the Theta II engines, I'll wish you a lot of luck. Just don't complain when those problems crop up. The SX engine is about pushed to its limit from what I understand from the engineers.... On my last Porsche, I stroked the engine and increased the hp by 100. However, that's a real change -- i.e., cam, pistons, days of dialing it in on the dyno, etc. In my sports car club, many of the guys take the NA engine and put a turbo/supercharger on it for a minimal cost of about $5,000 to increase the hp by 30%. You can't get those changes with ECU programming changes. Good luck....

·
Registered
877 Posts
The 3G Sportage SX had 260 so that's 20 HP right there that we know would be okay. It is my belief that 300HP at 7000 could be safely attained. That's 60 more HP for the 4G or 40 more for the 3G which isn't a ton. KIA adjusts the output of the 2.0L engine depending on the vehicle its in - in fact I believe they could make the 300 HP engine themselves (actually they have, as they have some racing involvement) and be safe with a 3/36 warranty. It would seem to be a matter of programming and of course would incur warranty cancellation as soon as it was discovered by the dealer.
It might require a higher-capacity turbine, improved intake and exhaust systems, 93 octane fuel and ECU adjustments. The engine is not 'delicate'. The problems that have been experienced on maybe 1% of vehicles are related to factory processes that left debris in the engines.

I think the car is sporty as it is and certainly is best kept original for many reasons but as to whether it technically could be done, I think it could.

·
Registered
2017 AWD Sportage SX - Black / Beige
2,002 Posts
i did some experiments on my SX simply by removing the air filter element as a way of reducing intake restriction and comparing 0-60 performance between filter/no filter. In back to back runs the car produced better 0-60 performance without the element installed. There was no disputing that.
I used the Torque app to measure 0-60. YMMV.

Now I'm not suggesting running without an air filter element but it did indicate that reducing intake restriction, without any other changes, did appear to improve performance of the engine within the confines of the tests I did.

if you search on 0-60 you might pop up the thread if you are interested, but I suspect reducing intake/exhaust restriction might get you a smidge more power. Have not tinkered any further with the car.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage SX AWD and 1988 Mercedes 300CE
359 Posts
The 3G Sportage SX had 260 so that's 20 HP right there that we know would be okay. It is my belief that 300HP at 7000 could be safely attained. That's 60 more HP for the 4G or 40 more for the 3G which isn't a ton. KIA adjusts the output of the 2.0L engine depending on the vehicle its in - in fact I believe they could make the 300 HP engine themselves (actually they have, as they have some racing involvement) and be safe with a 3/36 warranty. It would seem to be a matter of programming and of course would incur warranty cancellation as soon as it was discovered by the dealer.
It might require a higher-capacity turbine, improved intake and exhaust systems, 93 octane fuel and ECU adjustments. The engine is not 'delicate'. The problems that have been experienced on maybe 1% of vehicles are related to factory processes that left debris in the engines.

I think the car is sporty as it is and certainly is best kept original for many reasons but as to whether it technically could be done, I think it could.
As I recall, I read somewhere that the 3G 260hp used a different cam setup than we have. Now if you wanted to do the research and spend the time and money to break into the engine, you could probably find these cams. As I recall, the cams were changed to lower the point where max torque came in, to improve driveability.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX AWD
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

This is true... and makes you realize these engine can handle more power. Thanks for your feedback!

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX AWD
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
...Touchy, feely is not my cup of tea....
Oh your poor wife :p haha... ah just kiddin man. I get what you're saying. I'm only out for research right now. And certainly not assuming I would only run a chip without other mods. But what I don't like is when people assume, oh the manufacturer did it right and changing anything on the factory specs/settings will be detrimental and worse for your car, etc... We all know that's not true.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts