Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sportage
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 Sportage often does not start cold. It takes many key turns to start the engine. No click or anything at all. Ruled out remote start by removing it, put a new battery in. Local dealership has no idea

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
632 Posts
At only 2 model years old you should still be under warranty.
Was it the local Kia dealership not knowing what is happening or another dealership?
Did they at least look at it and check some obvious items, like the battery cables being tight? Or chassis grounds being secure?
Did they inspect the 'engine start battery' under the hood? They can go bad, and yours is under warranty.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They did an electrical system check and found nothing. They did recommend changing the battery which we did. We are going back to them this week but the dealership is an hour away.
thanks

·
Registered
891 Posts
Start switch/neutral safety switch problem. Try putting it into Neutral and/or wiggling the selector lever while holding the key in crank position. I think I'm correct in the problem being no crank rather than 'no start'. 'No start' is used when it cranks but won't run. Another problem can be the brake sensor - find the wire plugged into the side of the brake master cylinder and see if the connector is loose. When you push the brake pedal when turning the key, the sensor should detect the brake fluid pressure and allow the crank.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage SX AWD and 1988 Mercedes 300CE
368 Posts
Probably unnecessary to say but, ensure the gear selector is in Park and the brake is fully pressed.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 AWD Sportage SX Black Cherry/Beige
290 Posts
This happened with my SX. First time trying to start the engine, nothing. Dash lights up, that's it. It eventually starts. All remaining starts throughout the day worked like normal. Checked connections, doors etc. Replaced the battery in the key fob but second fob also would fail when using. Drove me nuts. Finally went to the dealer. Diagnostics showed nothing wrong. but I already had started the car to get there. They asked to keep the car over night after talking to KIA. Absolutely I said. Sure enough it failed the next morning for them. Diagnostics showed the starter. Replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
632 Posts
Are you leaving anything plugged into the power ports or usb ports?
The usb port is always 'live' on our Sportage, so I now pull the thumb drive which contains our music.

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportage SX AWD / Mineral silver with beige interior
865 Posts
My Mp3 flash drives have been plugged in 100% of the time for 3 1/2 years without a problem.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,614 Posts
My Mp3 flash drives have been plugged in 100% of the time for 3 1/2 years without a problem.
I don't know what the current draw is on USB memory sticks, but it must be really low, way below what most security systems draw, so can't imagine they would drain a cars battery.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They did an electrical system check and found nothing. They did recommend changing the battery which we did. We are going back to them this week but the dealership is an hour away.
Are you leaving anything plugged into the power ports or usb ports?
The usb port is always 'live' on our Sportage, so I now pull the thumb drive which contains our music.
nothing plugged in

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX
772 Posts
It is very possible that it is a battery issue. When my battery went bad, it did some pretty strange things. Things like the engine would crank fine, but not start. That was weird.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2017 Sportage often does not start cold. It takes many key turns to start the engine. No click or anything at all. Ruled out remote start by removing it, put a new battery in. Local dealership has no idea
I bought my 2017 Kia Sportage AWD in July. This intermittent push button failure has been happening since I bought it. I took it to the dealership where they said "they couldn't reproduce the problem" and therefor couldn't help. I replaced the battery. Put new batteries in key fob. It still is happening. It eventually starts. Most recently, yesterday it took about 20 attempts. The air, radio, dash all come on, but the engine wont start, and the brake feels hard for lack of a better way to explain it. I took a video. Kia of Asheville has been LESS than helpful with horrible customer service. My husband contacted them and offered to send the video I took. They said this was not helpful and again they would have to reproduce the problem there to do anything to help. They brushed my husband off onto the extended warranty company... I am so upset because this was supposed to be my new, safe, dependable car and it has turned into being worse than the paid off car I traded for this lemon.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,614 Posts
I bought my 2017 Kia Sportage AWD in July. This intermittent push button failure has been happening since I bought it. I took it to the dealership where they said "they couldn't reproduce the problem" and therefor couldn't help. I replaced the battery. Put new batteries in key fob. It still is happening. It eventually starts. Most recently, yesterday it took about 20 attempts. The air, radio, dash all come on, but the engine wont start, and the brake feels hard for lack of a better way to explain it. I took a video. Kia of Asheville has been LESS than helpful with horrible customer service. My husband contacted them and offered to send the video I took. They said this was not helpful and again they would have to reproduce the problem there to do anything to help. They brushed my husband off onto the extended warranty company... I am so upset because this was supposed to be my new, safe, dependable car and it has turned into being worse than the paid off car I traded for this lemon.
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your Profile/Account Details

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/account-details

Forum Rules

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Sorry your having such issues. It is a shame the dealership (Asheville) is not being cooperative. Where did you purchase the vehicle? At this particular dealership? Or, some place else? I hate to say it but....this is why I will not buy a used vehicle. Most times you are getting someone else's headaches. Yes, you save a few grand, perhaps a little more, but what is your happiness and safety worth? Try to take this vehicle back to where you purchased it.

The only three things I can try to recommend are the actual ignition switch button or the brake light switch, or the park safety switch. Are you sure the vehicle is fully in park? When this occurs again, try to start it in neutral, with your foot on the brake of course. Hopefully others will post other recommendations! I wish you good luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts