Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2017 KIA Sportage LX FWD 2.4L
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Does anyone know the correct procedure to replacing the coolant in the 2017 Sportage? I realize that the OEM coolant color is blue, however, I'm not sure how to correctly bleed the system. There is no radiator cap and it appears the only way to add coolant is through the expansion tank. Would I simply drain the radiator, re-fill the expansion tank with Zerex Asian Blue until its at the proper level, and leave the coolant cap off to allow air to bleed?

I'm very confused, since I'm not used to this type of pressurized coolant system and that there are no vids online for this vehicle. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2018 Sportage EX
50 Posts
The link below has a pretty detailed description. The location of the drain plug seems kind of unclear though. That whole website has tons of stuff on how to repair these cars. I've found it pretty useful.

Also my OEM coolant is green, and so is the undiluted coolant I got from the parts department (was the same price as at the store). As long as the fluid you get is good with aluminum then you're fine I think.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The link below has a pretty detailed description. The location of the drain plug seems kind of unclear though. That whole website has tons of stuff on how to repair these cars. I've found it pretty useful.

Also my OEM coolant is green, and so is the undiluted coolant I got from the parts department (was the same price as at the store). As long as the fluid you get is good with aluminum then you're fine I think.
Thanks "number27" for link to the "ksportagegl.com" site - just excellent, I did not know about it.
I just looked at the front & rear brake pad replacement info and nomenclature- great detail.
Twice I have purchased info like that on the KIA Tech Info site, last time 3/2019 I paid $19.00 for 72 hours access.
Thanks again (y)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hello. Does anyone know the correct procedure to replacing the coolant in the 2017 Sportage? I realize that the OEM coolant color is blue, however, I'm not sure how to correctly bleed the system. There is no radiator cap and it appears the only way to add coolant is through the expansion tank. Would I simply drain the radiator, re-fill the expansion tank with Zerex Asian Blue until its at the proper level, and leave the coolant cap off to allow air to bleed?

I'm very confused, since I'm not used to this type of pressurized coolant system and that there are no vids online for this vehicle. Thanks in advance
Hi racemode,
I have not replaced the coolant in my 2017 SX yet but I did buy coolant to top off the expansion tank.
I bought the Honda Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 from the Honda dealer right next door to the KIA dealer because KIA didn't have any at the time. (See photos) The Honda coolant meets KIA requirements.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG
x

·
Registered
2018 Sportage EX
50 Posts
Thanks "number27" for link to the "ksportagegl.com" site - just excellent, I did not know about it.
I just looked at the front & rear brake pad replacement info and nomenclature- great detail.
Twice I have purchased info like that on the KIA Tech Info site, last time 3/2019 I paid $19.00 for 72 hours access.
Thanks again (y)
Yeah, its a weird site. I don't think its really intended for North American models, but I think everything is pretty similar world-wide as long as you make sure you're looking at the right engine size.

I think there are very similar websites, with completely different names of course, for a whole swath of Kia models as well. There are probably ones for Hyundai too but I haven't looked.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts