Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sportage EX AWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2017 Sportage EX AWD with the Tech and Premium package and during the first week there has been two times when the electronics just go dead for about 5 minutes.

The first time it happened I came home from shopping. The car was already stopped and when I unplugged my phone and noticed that the push start button was no longer lit. I tried to restart the car but it wouldn't. The door locks were unresponsive as well as any interior/exterior lights. I went inside to check the keyfob battery but the red light was working so I was skeptical it was the problem. I replaced the keyfob battery even though it measured just under 4 volts. I walked around the car and tried the passenger side door lock and after closing the door it came back to life. I chalked it up to some anti-theft thing and prayed it wouldn't happen again.

A few days later when leaving the house, I stepped on the brake to start it and the start button went black. Ugh. No power whatsoever. No dome lights, nothing. I even tried pushing the start button with the keyfob because I read after the first issue that the vehicle could be started that way even it the keyfob main better was dead. It didn't work.

I popped the hood and inspected the battery terminals and tightened them down although they seemed plenty tight and were very clean and a few seconds later the headlights and interior lights came on.(I had left the interior dome light button on).

Maybe it's some ECU reset or something. I feel like a certain time passes before the power comes back on. I just don't want this to happen while driving.

This has me worried. I bought the car online from Carvana and only have until Tuesday Dec 17th to return it.

I feel like we got a good deal on it and we really like the car otherwise. I'm now forced to have a dealer look at it or start from scratch with a new car.

I assume it would be a warranty repair should we decide to roll the dice.

What would you do?

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage SX AWD and 1988 Mercedes 300CE
381 Posts
Have the battery checked.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,139 Posts
I've seen this happen before with flood/water damaged cars. Have a qualified mechanic check it out. Even if this car has a clean title, it may have been damaged. If you don't have time, I would return it....

Reactions: Lou O. and VST

·
Registered
2013 LX & 2020 EX KIA Sportages
78 Posts
Today is the 14th, so you have three days to return it. Take the car to Autozone or Advance Auto and have them load test the battery. You state you already cleaned the terminals. If it passes, Check around for corrosion on plugs for evidence of water damage. Pop the cover off the fuse box & look around. I like the theory of Carvana and know people who have used them with great results. However, a used car is a used car. Unless you know the previous owner you don't know what it's been through. I have been to auctions where a Carvana section is roped off. They seem to buy lease returns mostly and the cars look clean so their buyers know what to look for. A friend returned a Jeep that his wife hated after driving a few days. I don't think they give money back. They exchange for another vehicle ? They will find you pretty much the same as you bought. Their a big network. You also need to contact your local KIA dealer with the VIN to see the warranty status. Keep in mind to, if the dealer finds indication of water damage or harness tampering it will void the warranty.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
941 Posts
I would return the vehicle. I do not have any faith in what I call 'B' Lot car sales. (non OEM)
I'll leave it at that......

Reactions: VST and ron1004
1 - 5 of 5 Posts