Kia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX 2.0L AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m desperate for any help/advice to remedy this situation. I’ve been without a car for the 4th time in the last year due to these issues. On my most recent visit to the Kia dealership on 10/5 I went in with a check engine light, engine noise and rough idle. The dealership diagnosed it with code P0303, low compression on cylinder 3, and stated a new long block was needed and added, the service manager quoted “which would not be covered in the current settlement agreement.” Despite my best efforts of trying to get the dealership to do a bearing clearance test as I have the P1326 code stored from 2/14/22, the dealership stated the bearing clearance test was not required as the code for the rod bearing was not present on 10/5/22. I called corporate and went back and forth for several days in which the dealership and corporate continued with the same speech that the long block is not covered under the settlement agreement and compression issues were not related to rod bearing failure, they advised me to use my extended warranty.

The settlement agreement does include the long block from what I have read but I gave up, I had my 2017 Sportage towed to a local mechanic and we started a claim with my extended warranty, AGWS, which is now stalled because they believe the issue is rod bearing failure. I am terrified to tow it back to the dealership and get the same run around at this point. I have been without a vehicle for a month, I am a single parent and this situation is unacceptable. It’s terrible that Kia allows their consumers to be treated this way. If you have any suggestions on how to remedy this situation I am open for any advice. It’s been a complete nightmare. I am exhausted fighting over this and everyone blaming the next person, not to mention paying tow bills from here to there. It’s such a mess.

The campaign for DTC P1326 clearly states if code P1326 is stored and customer presents with engine noise then the dealer it to create a tech line for prior authorization but because code P1326 was not present on my 10/5 visit to the dealership they refused to open a tech line, refused a bearing clearance test and basically put a new engine replacement on me. If the dealership is refusing to even follow the basic steps for engine replacement then how can I get that done? The extended warranty doesn’t want to make repairs that should be on Kia and that leaves me stuck in the middle as the extended warranty believes the issue is rod bearing failure and they want that confirmed before moving forward which is understandable but getting the Kia dealership on board seems impossible, I specifically requested a bearing clearance test on my 10/5 visit and argued for it, had the dealership done that then none of this mess would have occurred. Someone point me in the right direction? I am terrified to go back to the dealership and get the same run around but I’m also terrified if I allow the local mechanic to do the tear down and rod bearing issues are found that Kia will negate the lifetime warranty due to the tear down being done elsewhere and that also means I’m paying for the tear down. Do I try a different dealership? Open to any and all suggestions. I’ve done my research but I’m not mechanic plus I hope this helps someone else as obtaining an engine replacement these days appears to be extremely difficult.
Font Music Rectangle Parallel Number

Font Material property Handwriting Parallel Paper

Font Parallel Paper Document Paper product

Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Screenshot

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,487 Posts
Wow! Good luck! Let us know how you make out. You have excellent documentation skills!

Reactions: missingcurlybracket

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow! Good luck! Let us know how you make out. You have excellent documentation skills!
Thank you! Fighting with them over this mess has definitely improved my documentation skills. My Sportage is currently at a new dealership, waiting to her back but according to the last campaign for PI1802 this should be an engine replacement no matter how they look at it. At this point I’m just praying this dealership is better then the first and I can start my claims soon to get all my money back from towing this thing all over the country! What a mess!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update and still looking for advice. I towed my car back to the dealership, I did use a different dealership this time, as advised by the extended warranty. Please see attachments as they help to explain as well.
Before towing it to the dealership it was at my local mechanic who did his own diagnostics which state 100% leakage in crankcase while the dealership is saying valve work and leakage in exhaust. Local mechanic shows 30psi while dealership shows 25psi. I just replaced all valve seals not even a year ago, I would be shocked if valve work was needed but assuming the dealership is correct then something else has to be causing the valve failure, there has to be a bigger issue as valves don’t typically fail in less then a year and since all my valve seals replaced less then a year ago it just doesn’t add up. I have maintained all routine maintenance. I have attached the diagnostics from local mechanic and the new Kia dealership. I am still at square one with my extended warranty as they paid for long block replacement less then a year ago due to a cylinder 1 low compression, hole in valve so they are not accepting that’s the correct issue or that there is not something more causing valve failure as they were all replaced less then a year ago. New dealership says they are not able to complete the bearing clearance test due to no compression on cylinder 3. I mean they could have said that when I called before towing my car there as they were aware of that, I explained the issue in detail. Moving forward I beg the dealership to open a tech line case, they do but the results and even the wording is misleading. The Kia technician states “is not knocking” and that is not true! There is a very apparent engine knocking/noise. Yet the tech line doesn’t request proof of the noise complaint? Why? That’s a huge concern and to just leave that out is ridiculously unfair and unethical. So, I have a local mechanic who was also a former kia technician, he knows his stuff, he says cause of failure is in lower end of engine while the dealership continues to pin it on a valve issue …then my extended warranty who wants confirmation this is not related to rod bearing failure. How do I move forward? Am I missing something or not understanding correctly? Do I request the dealership send me a video of the car running since they are saying there is no knocking/noise…when I dropped it off there was very clear knocking/noise. The local mechanic also notes the knocking sound. Do I call corporate and ask them to get more proof from the tech line case? Verify the noise? Verify the leakage in the exhaust as opposed to crankcase? Verify how the tests are being done to ensure TDC is being used? Any suggestions? Do I just authorize tear down and let the extended warranty send their inspector to verify? My only issue there is extended warranty doesn’t seem to be willing to move forward without confirmation it’s not rod bearing failure related and the dealership won’t do the bct. I don’t know how else to prove that to extended warranty. I’m honestly just at a loss. I feel like since I don’t have code p1326 present they are just trying to bypass an engine replacement that should be on them. I’ve been without a car going on 2 months, out of hundreds of dollars in diagnostic fees & towing expenses, tons of stress and aggravation. I can’t believe dealerships treat their customers this way. I had no clue it would be this hard. I will give them the fact that the symptoms for valve issues and bad bearings/pistons are very similar but I feel like they are intentionally not trying to rule out the crankcase piston/rod area either. Attached results from techline case at dealership, diagnostics from local mechanic. Proof of KSDS update, proof that p1326 was present in February 2022, proof of work completed to long block November 2021.
Font Parallel Symmetry Electric blue Number

Font Parallel Rectangle Clipboard Handwriting
Font Material property Handwriting Parallel Paper

Font Handwriting Paper Paper product Number
Font Parallel Paper Paper product Document

1 - 5 of 5 Posts