Kia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
This is the model i ended up with, its vent clamp is great (no more proclips for me), i had tried another $25 unit but its vent clamp wasnt good at all. Both did work with the usb in play.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
510 Posts
Looks like a nice one. If the wireless Android Auto talked about actually happens soon for my car, I'll probably take that opportunity to upgrade my 3 1/2 year old Galaxy S8+ to a phone with Android 11 to support it. I like the idea of having the maps on the car's 8" screen anyway.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento SX, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Tech pkg. Former 2014 Kia Rondo EX Luxury,
323 Posts
Looks like a nice one. If the wireless Android Auto talked about actually happens soon for my car, I'll probably take that opportunity to upgrade my 3 1/2 year old Galaxy S8+ to a phone with Android 11 to support it. I like the idea of having the maps on the car's 8" screen anyway.
I'm not aware of any wireless Android Auto being retrofitted for for older models as they don't appear to have wireless capabilities.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I'm using the Galaxy S8 (not plus), android auto works ok for some things, but others i get an error.. if you try to open various apps on the car's lcd you get a message saying we cant do that right now or similar. (spotify, amazon music, a few others), yeah offtopic but if anyone runs into i found a possible fix i have yet to try:
1) Open Android Auto
2) Open the hamburger menu (three lines, top left)
3) Click on "about"
4) Tap the "about android auto" header 10 times, to enable developer mode
4a) you'll get a notification that developer mode has been enabled, if you do it right
5) Tap the three dots in the top right of the screen
6) Tap "Developer Settings" and then scoll down and check "Unknown Sources"
7) Exit out of android auto, re-enter. Your media apps should be visible now.

I'm overdue for a newer phone, but yes it would be nice if i could use wireless charging and not need that usb port somehow (hopefully that kickstarter ends up coming to fruition)

edit: there may be a way to do this wirelessly right now using this app (AAgateway + old phone or tv stick), but it looks involved (eh might just stick with the usb plug + wireless charge for now):

·
Registered
510 Posts
The gateway you posted was what I linked in the previous post. It's the only one I know of that will do this trick without replacing your head unit.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
The gateway you posted was what I linked in the previous post. It's the only one I know of that will do this trick without replacing your head unit.
Your previous post, that was the dongle device, maybe the same principle i guess (same creators of the app maybe at first glance), they just fashioned something you can stick on the usb port thats not a phone or tv stick, but that device is still kickstarter stage, so i think the only option is to use a second old phone or tv stick for now from the looks of it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I read about the TV sticks, and they seemed to be very spotty in actual reliability, I'll wait for this option, it seems to be a much more robust offering. I like my wireless charger, and if I stick the second old phone in there, I won't be able to use it. Besides, that looks like a major kludge as well. I'll wait and see how well this unit works.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
926 Posts
I'm using the Galaxy S8 (not plus), android auto works ok for some things, but others i get an error.. if you try to open various apps on the car's lcd you get a message saying we cant do that right now or similar. (spotify, amazon music, a few others), yeah offtopic but if anyone runs into i found a possible fix i have yet to try:
1) Open Android Auto
2) Open the hamburger menu (three lines, top left)
3) Click on "about"
4) Tap the "about android auto" header 10 times, to enable developer mode
4a) you'll get a notification that developer mode has been enabled, if you do it right
5) Tap the three dots in the top right of the screen
6) Tap "Developer Settings" and then scoll down and check "Unknown Sources"
7) Exit out of android auto, re-enter. Your media apps should be visible now.

I'm overdue for a newer phone, but yes it would be nice if i could use wireless charging and not need that usb port somehow (hopefully that kickstarter ends up coming to fruition)

edit: there may be a way to do this wirelessly right now using this app (AAgateway + old phone or tv stick), but it looks involved (eh might just stick with the usb plug + wireless charge for now):
This is strange, but my new phone does not appear to have an AA app! It looks like it is now integrated into Android OS, there is a settings page in settings for AA, but no app!

·
Registered
510 Posts
That is correct, Android has AA as a part of the basic O/S.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
926 Posts
Just for giggles I put a meter on the port. With my new phone it reads 5 volts 1.2 Amps. So I think it must be a 2 Amp port

·
Registered
510 Posts
I know that it charges my phone fairly quickly, so it must be higher capacity than the earlier models that folks are complaining about.

·
Registered
2016 sorento ex v6 awd wisconsin
59 Posts
I used to use a samsung s7 on my 2016, and battery would actually charge up while using android auto. Same with my pixel 4a.
Don't know if phone model matters or maybe background apps running.
SOMETIMES when it comes to modern electronics , what works and what doesn't is a mystery.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'm sure model has something to do with it, also what applications are running.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento EX V6
18 Posts
It's not retrofitted to the car, it's an add-on module that plugs into the USB port and speaks WiFi to the phone.

AAWireless’ dongle
So i just received my AAWireless unit over the weekend. This is a very polished unit. It's about 2" square and .5" thick; comes with an appropriate usb cable.

While I was hoping for a pure plug and play solution, I wouldn't have been surprised if it wasn't completely - because , well, it's an after market box.

To my pleasant surprise, I plugged in the unit and after booting up, it had acquired my phone (pixel 4a 5G). All totaled the entire initial setup took about 3 painless minutes.

The next day, I checked to see how quickly the unit would start up from a cold start. Within 15-20 seconds ( maybe less) I had AA on the radio.

I'm quite happy with this product - it solves my charging issue while using AA and helps reduce some cable clutter.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Can't wait for mine to come, I'm hoping for a similar story! :D

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,785 Posts
@bluewheels41
Good to hear that they actually made the promised April delivery! You got the $65 deal?
Keep us posted on performance.

·
Registered
2016 sorento ex v6 awd wisconsin
59 Posts
Supposed to get mine at end of april also. $65 + $20 shipping.
Keeping my fingers crossed. I have the pixel 4a so it should work as easily as
bluewheels41

·
Registered
510 Posts
Mine was also $65 + $20 shipping. I was in the next batch, so I suspect I'm into May before I see mine. I have the Galaxy S21 5G, I hope it's AA works properly.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts