Kia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
926 Posts
I just bought the new TCL 10 PRO on sale for Black Friday for $275. It works awesome, the ONLY thing it lacks is wireless charging, but before your drop a grand on a new phone check it out. Very happy with it, it is USB C, so there is less stress on the port to start with.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
510 Posts
Well, it's kinda' vaporware for me, but I'm hopeful that it'll hit the market at some point. I can wait until they polish it and it's tested on a 2020 Sorento SX. :)

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento SX, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Tech pkg. Former 2014 Kia Rondo EX Luxury,
323 Posts
I have the Samsung S8+, and it's too big to fit in that compartment with any cable. I bought the 90 degree cable, but even that didn't lay in there right. However, since the phone is three years old, it's getting about time for an upgrade, that may change. I'm was thinking a bit smaller anyway, the S8+ is really larger than I need and doesn't fit in other places as well as a slightly smaller phone might.
The Pixel 5 might be a good choice for you.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
741 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
I have tons of lighter socket chargers that will charge the phone. Truthfully, I don't look for something that's going to charge at a 3A rate as that's very hard on the Lithium batteries. In a former life (before retirement) I worked on two different projects with high capacity Lithium batteries, and controlling the charge rate was top of the list. Heat is the enemy of almost anything electronic, and Lithium batteries are no exception. We did an 8-cell battery for aircraft use, and each battery had nine microprocessors. One for each cell to monitor everything about it, and one as the overall "traffic-cop" to manage the lot. Temperature control was #1 on the list of parameters controlled!

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
926 Posts
Reading the info, it appears that your car must have wifi for this device to work, and AFAIK we do not have wifi in a Sorento?

·
Registered
510 Posts
AFAIK, my car does not have Wifi. I wish it did, but that's new on the 2021.

·
Registered
2016 sorento ex v6 awd wisconsin
59 Posts
This is from their faq.

Does it use WiFi or Bluetooth? I don't have WiFi in my car.

Our adapter has WiFi and Bluetooth hardware. It connects with Bluetooth and sends the WiFi credentials to the phone, then disconnects from the Bluetooth network. It works solely on WiFi from that point on

I'm sure when they start shipping units out we'll find out from someone on this forum if it really works.
I for one would buy if it is reliable.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento
108 Posts
I have tons of lighter socket chargers that will charge the phone. Truthfully, I don't look for something that's going to charge at a 3A rate as that's very hard on the Lithium batteries. In a former life (before retirement) I worked on two different projects with high capacity Lithium batteries, and controlling the charge rate was top of the list. Heat is the enemy of almost anything electronic, and Lithium batteries are no exception. We did an 8-cell battery for aircraft use, and each battery had nine microprocessors. One for each cell to monitor everything about it, and one as the overall "traffic-cop" to manage the lot. Temperature control was #1 on the list of parameters controlled!

That's how all reputable lithium batteries operate now. They have a BMS that controls charging current depending on temperature and the state of charge. In phones the phone does part of that battery monitoring. Not to mention that lithium battery tech has changed.

The issue with the charging is that when your phone is plugged into the data port and you are running google maps and listening to streaming audio at the same time and then half of that is done through the cable and the other half is over bluetooth (audio is over bluetooth) your phone is doing allot of processing as well as communication over cell data so it is using quite a bit of power to do so.
The factory head unit drops down to 200ma which is not enough to maintain the battery while it is doing all that stuff. You really need at least an amp. And at that you aren't really charging the battery that much you are just placing the load on the head unit instead of the battery.

Lithium batteries and their control circuitry is pretty good now. What scares me is the EPU on an F-16... They use one fuel I want to have no part of ever...

·
Registered
510 Posts
Lithium batteries and their control circuitry is pretty good now. What scares me is the EPU on an F-16... They use one fuel I want to have no part of ever...
That comment confuses me. The F-16, as well as a host of other military jets, uses JP-5 or JP-8, which is a just a highly refined kerosene. Commercial aviation uses Jet-A which is virtually identical to JP-5. There's nothing scary about jet fuel, it's a lot safer to handle than gasoline! I worked on aircraft fuel systems for close to 20 years, and we had many prototype aircraft working with the fuel system that developed leaks, and in at least two cases, more like a gusher! The cleanup crew came with what amounts to a giant shopvac and a ton of rags to clean up the mess. We just stood to the side and watched. If that were gasoline, I'd have been far, far away!

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
926 Posts
As a test, I hooked up my new TCL PRO phone to the AA tonight. it is a full featured phone - 6.7" AMOLED display, 6 gigs RAM. 128 GIG "hard drive". Bluetooth, wifi, NFC etc. In 10 minutes of driving using AA with the phone screen off, it added 15% charge. It is a 4500 mah battery
So I think my 2019 must have at least a 2 AMP AA port.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento
108 Posts
That comment confuses me. The F-16, as well as a host of other military jets, uses JP-5 or JP-8, which is a just a highly refined kerosene. Commercial aviation uses Jet-A which is virtually identical to JP-5. There's nothing scary about jet fuel, it's a lot safer to handle than gasoline! I worked on aircraft fuel systems for close to 20 years, and we had many prototype aircraft working with the fuel system that developed leaks, and in at least two cases, more like a gusher! The cleanup crew came with what amounts to a giant shopvac and a ton of rags to clean up the mess. We just stood to the side and watched. If that were gasoline, I'd have been far, far away!

The EPU on the F-16 uses Hydrazine to power it. When one crashes it is the first thing you have to find. Extraordinarily dangerous stuff.

Reactions: BrianC302

·
Registered
510 Posts
Numerous folks have stated that the USB port charging capability was improved in the last couple model years, so that makes sense.

The EPU on the F-16 uses Hydrazine to power it. When one crashes it is the first thing you have to find. Extraordinarily dangerous stuff.
That I didn't know, and it explains your comment! :eek: I have to agree that's worthy of special handling.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Well today my wireless (fast) charging holder/vent clip type came. I was able to to use the usb to do android auto and it still shows "wireless fast charging" on the phone. It was charging at the rate of about 2-3mins per 1% fast charge wireless. With it on the wire its about 2% (the regular fast charger not the android usb plug). With just the car usb i lose a 1% every few mins.

So this is a win to me. Nearly the same charge level, though oddly at first my case was causing it to be slow maybe 1% every 15 min, i took the case off put it back on and its been fine ever since.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts