Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a way to get a faster charge out of the usb port whilst maintaining the ability to use android auto (i assume there is no hack to use Bluetooth available).

I saw some threads about using a y adapter, but it seems none of those really worked any better?

Has anyone found a better solution, i'd like to utilize android auto but not lose the ability to charge the phone or at least charge faster.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2017 Sorento
108 Posts
No solution that I have found yet. My phone is still supplementing the car battery..... I get a peak of about 450MA and then it settles down to around 200MA.

On a long trip I have to change min to the power port in the armrest to recharge it or use a 110v one with fast charge to charge it quicker.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX
75 Posts
Ditto. My Galaxy S8+ does not charge well in the USB slot but that's the only way to get Android Auto to work...Cant get the best of both worlds on that design!

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
926 Posts
Get a newer Sorento. On the 2019 the Note 4 does charge as well as run AA. That was not true of my 2016. They upgraded the USB port in the car.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
505 Posts
I agree, the 2020 Sorento seems to charge my Samsung Galaxy S8+ while connected to Android Auto with no problem.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento
108 Posts
Get a newer Sorento. On the 2019 the Note 4 does charge as well as run AA. That was not true of my 2016. They upgraded the USB port in the car.
Yeah not going to sell our 2017 with under 30K on it just cause it won't charge a phone. It has many many more years and miles before it gets put out to pasture. And with the lack on a V6 and pathetic towing capacity in the 2021s we are forced to go with the Telluride now.

Reactions: markm75 and scosgt

·
Registered
505 Posts
One reason I decided to pick up the 2020 SX, got it for WAY less than the 2021. With the price increase for the 2021, I paid more then 10K less than the 2021 MSRP. I also wanted the V6 and not an overworked turbocharged four banger.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX
75 Posts
Yeah not going to sell our 2017 with under 30K on it just cause it won't charge a phone. It has many many more years and miles before it gets put out to pasture. And with the lack on a V6 and pathetic towing capacity in the 2021s we are forced to go with the Telluride now.
Love my 2016 SX V6. Plenty of power and cant see ever going back to a 4 cylinder. So sounds like my next vehicle could be a Telluride when I am ready to turn this one in.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento SX, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Tech pkg. Former 2014 Kia Rondo EX Luxury,
321 Posts
I agree, the 2020 Sorento seems to charge my Samsung Galaxy S8+ while connected to Android Auto with no problem.
Same here. Pixel 4XL charges just fine with AA.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento
108 Posts
It's looking like the 2019+ they have increased the charging amperage of the head unit data USB port. And from doing a little research the headunits were the same from 2016-2018 so... That means other years behaviors are not useful for comparison.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wonder, if you use a wireless charger and also plug in that usb for android auto would that work or even be safe to do?

·
Registered
2017 Sorento
108 Posts
I wonder, if you use a wireless charger and also plug in that usb for android auto would that work or even be safe to do?

I have wondered that as well but... I don't have wireless charging. I have a 10200mah battery on my phone so it doesn't have the original back cover so no wireless charging. To be honest there really isn't anywhere in the console to put a cell phone. I put mine in the front pocket by the data jack and it sits in there at an angle and slides around. Too bad they didn't give you a place to put your phone while it is plugged into the car.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have wondered that as well but... I don't have wireless charging. I have a 10200mah battery on my phone so it doesn't have the original back cover so no wireless charging. To be honest there really isn't anywhere in the console to put a cell phone. I put mine in the front pocket by the data jack and it sits in there at an angle and slides around. Too bad they didn't give you a place to put your phone while it is plugged into the car.
I have one of these coming:

The generic amazon vent type ones that have this model's latch mechanism work well. I have a similar vent mount in my wifes 2015 and its solid. In my 2017 i have a proclip mount which also works well.

I was going to swap out and give this guy a shot.

·
Registered
505 Posts
If a USB power source is plugged in, the phone uses that in preference to the wireless charging.
Direct from the Samsung Q&A, I'm presuming any phone with wireless charging would act in a similar manner.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento
108 Posts
I don't need my phone within reach as the screen in the car does everything I need. It just would have been nice to have a slot in the dash or center console to slide the phone into when it's plugged into the car. I may try a 90* USBC cable as that might let it sit down in the forward hole. (the one with the closable lid that never gets closed)

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have the Samsung S8+, and it's too big to fit in that compartment with any cable. I bought the 90 degree cable, but even that didn't lay in there right. However, since the phone is three years old, it's getting about time for an upgrade, that may change. I'm was thinking a bit smaller anyway, the S8+ is really larger than I need and doesn't fit in other places as well as a slightly smaller phone might.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento
108 Posts
If a USB power source is plugged in, the phone uses that in preference to the wireless charging.
Direct from the Samsung Q&A, I'm presuming any phone with wireless charging would act in a similar manner.
View attachment 116731

The other issue with wireless charging is that many I have messed with tend to top out at about 65ma. Which the best I have seen from the head unit in the car is ,45 which quickly drops to the .2 range.

At least I know that if the car battery dies I can just plug in my phone and let it recharge the car battery... :)

·
Registered
505 Posts
I believe the port was improved for later years, my 2020 Sorento SX charges the phone fairly quickly with either the wireless or wired connection. We use wireless charging almost exclusively with all our phones. The issue with wired charging, and especially in a car, is any lateral loads on the charging jack can damage it and then you don't have any USB connectivity or charging! No such risk just setting the phone on a charging pad.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento EX V6
18 Posts
I have the same problem. I'm hoping this will do the trick - wireless android auto dongle

The idea would be to have this thing plugged into the car's low amp usb port and then have your phone connect wirelessly to the dongle for android auto. This would free up the charging port on your phone. Then if you need to charge your phone there are plenty of high amp chargers that can be used in the normal 12v socket.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
926 Posts
I have the same problem. I'm hoping this will do the trick - wireless android auto dongle

The idea would be to have this thing plugged into the car's low amp usb port and then have your phone connect wirelessly to the dongle for android auto. This would free up the charging port on your phone. Then if you need to charge your phone there are plenty of high amp chargers that can be used in the normal 12v socket.
Does not exist yet

1 - 20 of 70 Posts