Kia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,116 Posts
Looks fine - what are your thoughts on them?

Not sure if your engine is one of those that Kia issued a revised NGK plug - best make sure with Kia.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX Turbo
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, there's a TSB in the US for a revised spark plug. Here in Canada, that TSB doesn't exist, so they don't have that revised plug that they're issuing as per the US TSB. So I ordered the new part from a dealership in the US.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX 2.0T
93 Posts
Yeah, there's a TSB in the US for a revised spark plug. Here in Canada, that TSB doesn't exist, so they don't have that revised plug that they're issuing as per the US TSB. So I ordered the new part from a dealership in the US.
I just had my plugs changed and my mechanic got the new plugs from the local Kia dealer, no problem....

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX Turbo AWD (sold)
849 Posts
Were they the revised part number as per the US TSB? The only ones my dealership had were the original part number, since Canadian dealerships don't follow US TSB'S.
The revised plug appears to be a colder heat range. So in Canada where the winters are colder, its better to run a slightly hotter plug. That could be why there is no TSB for us.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,436 Posts
Back to the OP photo. The ceramic looks to be badly burned where it meets the metal body. Don't believe that's considered normal. Hope dielectric grease was used on the inside of the plug boot prior to reassemble...

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,116 Posts
Back to the OP photo. The ceramic looks to be badly burned where it meets the metal body. Don't believe that's considered normal. Hope dielectric grease was used on the inside of the plug boot prior to reassemble...
Its corona stain, which the manufacturer says is normal.

5 Things You Should Know About Spark Plugs - NGK Spark Plugs

2. Corona stain

Corona stain is a light brown or tan discoloration on the outside of the ceramic insulator above the metal shell/hex. Corona stain is created by the high voltage traveling thru the plug that attracts the dirt or oil particles surrounding the exposed ceramic insulator between the wire/coil boot and spark plug metal shell. Corona stain is completely normal and should not be mistaken for exhaust gas blow-by or a broken seal inside the spark plug.

NGK Spark Plug Corona Stain | Dennis Kirk

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,436 Posts
Ha, first I've heard of that! It's still electric leakage to ground. Always learning.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX Turbo AWD (sold)
849 Posts
Colder plugs are normally meant for higher performance engines, nothing to do with outside temps.
Normally but why are the Canadian 2.0 Turbos running hotter heat range plugs than the US version? May guess is to insure better start up/warm up in winter weather. I know this first hand from running colder plugs when I ran an over boost module on mine. I switched to the reccomended colder plugs. The car ran like shit during warm up in the colder months.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX Turbo
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Normally but why are the Canadian 2.0 Turbos running hotter heat range plugs than the US version? May guess is to insure better start up/warm up in winter weather. I know this first hand from running colder plugs when I ran an over boost module on mine. I switched to the reccomended colder plugs. The car ran like shit during warm up in the colder months.
Plenty of places in the US get equally as cold as Winnipeg. North Dakota etc. These plugs referenced in the TSB apparently do fine in North Dakota.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts