Kia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sedona LX
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states, my 2017 Kia Sedona was rear ended by a woman in a sedan who was admittedly distracted by her phone. My toddler twins were in the middle row captains seats strapped into their five-point harnesses. Everyone is seemingly fine, though I am pretty sore and we all have appointments with our doctors to be evaluated.

My car was at very low speed, as I was stopped at a traffic light and had just begun increasing speed. She hit us fairly hard, though I can’t accurately determine her speed. The van absorbed the impact incredibly well. She was given a ticket for careless driving. The cosmetic damage does not look bad, though there seems to be some possible damage that I cannot see. I’ve included photos here for reference. I am waiting on an estimate from her insurance company (they use an app where I just submit photos), but wanted to get advice from those more knowledgeable than me to ensure I have all my bases covered. Her insurance confirmed they will reimburse us for new car seats since the manufacturer (Diono) said they now need to be replaced, repairs, and “possible additional funds”. Once I have their estimate for repairs,will be taking it to a few body shops of my choosing to get their assessments.

The functional issues I have had: The trunk would not open until two days after the accident and now has to be forced shut. I can sometimes hear something rattling when driving. I was also getting my children out of the car when the driver’s side automatic door began closing on me, though this only happened once. The rear door is now also concave underneath the Kia emblem, though her car didn’t even impact this area to my knowledge.

We were considering selling the car as early as last week and determined it’s valued in the $19k range if we sold it as a private seller. Is there a possibility it could be totaled out (80% value to total in my state)? What are some of the things I need to ensure are evaluated to prevent problematic in the future? My spouse also has free legal counsel as a perk of his job... Is this something we should consider instead of handling it on our own?

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Sedona, 2012 Forte Koup, Two Sephia's (scraped)
53 Posts
Have it evaluated, go through the process, insurance, autobody, mechanic, put it on a lift and then you and the wife make a decision. Its a personal decision but it should be based on facts and risk. However, there are tell tale signs and you need to listen to the professional opinion even if you have to pay for it. Most of all TRY never to fall in love with a car, boat, truck, ATV, house, sled, PWC, etc because its only wood, plastic and shinny metal. God knows I have. Good Luck.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I appears like the majority of the damage is cosmetic but the issues with doors not closing and the new rattles are concerning. We didnt replace our Dionos when our car was damages by a tornado... but maybe it doesnt count if the seats were empty

·
Registered
17 Posts
While driving, my wife got rear-ended, when stopped at stop lights. (don't know the other driver speed, but it was 30 mph speed limit street)
It propelled the car up to 4 foots and we thought it was only cosmetic damages.

I hesitated to call our insurances (in Qc, your own insurances pay the repairs or the amount)
At first, I thought it didn't touch the rear panel, but it did, the lower part, near the license plate. so I called them.
The electric trunk is being erratic. It slams the door, it jumps a bit then close, or it does the correct way.

It was supposed to be only 2 days of paint repair and we are almost 10 days with a leased car.
It was destroyed inside, the foam's crushed, plastic clips broken, didn't talk about the metal body, but when they opened it, they had to order extra parts which have to be replaced (trunk and bumper)

2300$ CDN or 1800$ USD is the final invoice.

Do the process and see what are your options. Your car have more damage than mine, it may be totaled out if the metal body is beyond repair...
But the car is really tough, mine, the rear sensors still works.

Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive parking light Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2015 Sedona SX-L
62 Posts
This is one of those instances where you let the experts handle it-- i.e a body shop(s) you trust and the insurance company. Get a couple quotes and make sure whoever you choose has a good warranty on their work. The place the insurance company recommends is not always the best. A good auto body shop will make that collision seem like it never happened. But you still have a damage claim on the vehicle that will show up in vehicle history reports, which may affect resale value-- that's something you can talk to your insurance adjuster about, some states have laws which will require them to reimburse you some for lost value.

I've had vehicles messed up FAR, FAR worse than that, that came out perfect and drove/looked excellent for many years after the auto body man was done with them. But for every great repair experience there is a bad one. It's one of those things where you have to do your due diligence and find a good shop-- much like mechanics, finding one is super easy, right? NOT! totally joking on that but do your best.

You have the option of working with your own insurance company, who is likely to protect your interests moreso than the other driver's. Sometimes making the claim with your own insurance company will raise your rates even though you are 100% NOT at fault (it gets entered into the CLUE or similar insurance claim database), so best to work with the other guy's insurance if at all possible. Don't be afraid to balk at any low-ball settlement offers where they want to write you a check on the spot for what their adjuster assesses. Hold off until you have two or three quotes from shops you trust, and turn in the most expensive two. If the body shop discovers damage beyond what they'd estimated, it will be covered under a supplement. In other words, they have a duty to get your car back to you RIGHT, so that you're satisfied, and the at-fault driver's insurance has a duty to pay that cost.

I would be extremely shocked if that were more than a $3-4K repair, but I can only see so much from pictures and can't see underneath. From what I can see the chances of it being totaled are almost nil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts