Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Sportage 2017
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...I am thinking about buying a used 2017 with very little mileage on it. I dont know the KIA brand. It would be my 1st time ownership. I test drove the car and loved it. I love the look as well. But what I want to know, especially about this 2017 models is,..what do you HATE about the car and what are any cons about it. TIA!

Little Red

·
Registered
2019 Kia Forte EX, 2020 Kia Soul EX, 2002 Corvette Z06
102 Posts
We had a 3 year lease on a 17 Sportage EX and loved it. It was fairly loaded (not as the SX though) but it had everything we needed, rode good, never had any issues at all in the 30k we put on it. We did turn it in towards lease end because prior to that we had a 14 Soul+, went to the Sportage in 17 and from that, a 2020 Soul EX.

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportage SX AWD / Mineral silver with beige interior
917 Posts
Hi all...I am thinking about buying a used 2017 with very little mileage on it. I dont know the KIA brand. It would be my 1st time ownership. I test drove the car and loved it. I love the look as well. But what I want to know, especially about this 2017 models is,..what do you HATE about the car and what are any cons about it. TIA!

Little Red
NONE with the SX

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportage SX AWD / Mineral silver with beige interior
917 Posts
I shopped for one year before my purchase. I drove EVERY SUV in the price range. The Kia SX was by far the best buy. Coming up on 4 years of trouble free ownership.
My second pick was a Mazda.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,063 Posts
I have a 2017 EX and everything is fine. My washer pump had a leak and the battery was corroded, but that was fixed under warranty. Use top tier gas and change the oil per the owner's manual, and you should be just fine. It is not as quiet as a luxury SUV, but you'll know that if you take a test drive -- but it is not excessively loud either. If you are buying a 2017, see if you can get the service history from the owner. A dealer should be able to look up the VIN and see the dealer repairs. If there were no motor issues, i.e. limp mode, you should be fine. This is my first KIA in almost 60 years of driving and it's as good as most any of the cars I've owned.

·
Registered
2018 Sportage SX
145 Posts
Pros: Too many to list. It's like 95% perfect for me, and I can be pretty picky.

Cons:

- MPG kinda not great for it's class, but it does routinely outperform the EPA estimate and I don't know what the comparable models actual MPG results are like. But gas is very cheap now and MPG differences between models do not translate to very much $ during ownership.

- Issues with the Theta engine, but there is no public data on how many cars have been affected and it has been estimated that the percentage is very low, maybe <3%. Plus Kia is standing behind the issue and extending the engine warranty. And other car companies are not immune to similar issue, Subaru, Honda, etc.

- No lane keep assist or adaptive cruise until the 2020 models

- No way to lower rear seats without opening each side door

- Wheels are oversized in the SX version at the expense of a smooth ride, I replaced mine with 17s

- The mapping system is great compared with other manufacturer's versions, but the voice recognition is not good and the disabled typing while driving (even by the passenger) makes it worse. But once the address has been established, the mapping and turns are clear and fast.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage LX
52 Posts
If you wanted all wheel drive the 2017 Sportage LX was the best bang for the buck there was in new cars. For 23k it couldn't be touched by any other vehicle as mine has been near perfect.

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 1.6 CRDi 2018
19 Posts
Having owned Audis and VWs in the past and having driven last generation BMW 3 series and Audi A6 I can tell you I didn't expect to be pleasantly surprised by how any mainstream family car drives. I was with my Sportage though I admit it was mainly because I expected it to be worse than all of these cars and ... It certainly isn't. If anything the raised driving position compared to anything I've owned makes it more fun. 2 years since I bought it I'm still amazed at how solid it feels over broken surfaces as well as how relaxing it is to drive. Having said that it has some omissions that are very annoying when you're coming to the brand from another German brand.
Power windows do not lift or lower from the outside. You always need to turn the power on which is a pain if you have passengers in the rear that forget to close their windows. Further to this only the driver's window has the automatic down or up function.
If you own a manual gearbox then due to the different design of the centre console there is no place to fit your mobile phone with the charging cable attached to it.
No hidden compartments in the boot, though pre2018 models should have the adjustable boot floor that leaves room under the floor when on it's higher position, no hooks or other sophisticated organisers to hang bags or to secure cargo.
If you're a DIYer no pre-installation of wiring for future fitting of additional equipment features. For everythiing you want to retrofit to the car you have to do its wiring loom too.
No ambient interior lighting.
If you can live with these then you'll be very happy with your Sportage.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage LX
52 Posts
There are good dealers and bad dealers in all brands of cars. This is the Kia Sportage forum and I have to say that the Sportage starting in 2017 is an exceptional value. It was designed by the head Audi engineer that KIA stole from Audi. In my opinion there is no other car that comes close in value to the 2017 and on Kia Sportage. All your complaints about Kia is just blabber. Most people that own the Sportage know that it is a good car and have very few complaints about them. If mine is any indication of the quality of the car then it is a shining example of the Kia Sportage line.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,063 Posts
There are good dealers and bad dealers in all brands of cars. This is the Kia Sportage forum and I have to say that the Sportage starting in 2017 is an exceptional value. It was designed by the head Audi engineer that KIA stole from Audi. In my opinion there is no other car that comes close in value to the 2017 and on Kia Sportage. All your complaints about Kia is just blabber. Most people that own the Sportage know that it is a good car and have very few complaints about them. If mine is any indication of the quality of the car then it is a shining example of the Kia Sportage line.
I agree that our Sportage is a very good value. The overall build quality of the car is good, but Kia's quality control is still improving. If you get one of the 97% (figuratively) that are within specs, then the car is as good or better than any in the price range. However, if you are one of the 3%, then life sucks. I'm one of the lucky 97% and life is great and the car continues to run trouble free (except for the leaking washer pump and corroded battery which were replaced under warranty). I have a 2017 EX and would still not trade it in for any other car in it's class with the possible exception of the new CX-5 (not the one available in 2017). I do follow the industry, and the quality control on the 2020 Kia's seems to be better. The quality control on the Genesis line is extremely good, so Hyundai/Kia are learning. I'm going to keep this car for at least another couple of years as I only have 20K miles on this car so far.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage LX
52 Posts
Sorry about the sucks cars as mine has been near perfect. I always consider myself lucky and blessed when I get a perfect product because that's not usually the norm.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX
19 Posts
Love hate relationship with this one. 2 right windows failed and replaced in the last 2 months. Washer pump replaced 3 months ago. A/C fixed 3 times last year. Other than that, it's fine.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,861 Posts
This thread has been purged of the unsubstantiated rants/smear campaign BS.

Just to be clear, this forum has no affiliation with Kia or Hyundai Motors, and all positive and negative reviews and comments are permitted. Rest assured you'll get meaningful assistance from members here if you find yourself going up against Kia for a warranty claim etc.

You may express your disgust and displeasure of your Kia product and dealings with Kia Corp. and dealerships, but please don't turn it into unsubstantiated rant/smear campaign.

And rest assured, any suggestion that myself being a forum Moderator means I'm in bed with Kia is absolutely false.

·
Registered
2016 Rio SX Hatch
318 Posts
We've had ours for 3 years and I have no complaints about it at all, except for the placement of the rear window roof spoiler. In the winter you cannot properly clean your rear glass in a car wash or with a gas station squeegee as a result.

That's it. We'd buy another one without hesitation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts