1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Recently bought a 2017 Kia Sportage
The air conditioning blows very warm >
I have put in 2 cans of 1234Ay to charge the system and the gauge still is in the warning area but the compressor is not turning on or engaging on and off
I check the fuse boxes both under the hood and the inside drivers side do not see with the is a relay for this
The 2 A/Con fuses that are 7.5 are both good and the AC light on the inside panel does light up when pressed
All fans are running and blower is working fine

Is there a relay somewhere that works the compressor or does any one have any advice before i take to the dealer and get hosed on them fixing it
Also if it was completely empty how many cans would it hold ?
But being completely empty would normally mean there is a leak somewhere
When i added the 2 cans i saw no leaks and did seems anything > please advise thanks for the help Ben

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,066 Posts
I Recently bought a 2017 Kia Sportage
The air conditioning blows very warm >
I have put in 2 cans of 1234Ay to charge the system and the gauge still is in the warning area but the compressor is not turning on or engaging on and off
I check the fuse boxes both under the hood and the inside drivers side do not see with the is a relay for this
The 2 A/Con fuses that are 7.5 are both good and the AC light on the inside panel does light up when pressed
All fans are running and blower is working fine

Is there a relay somewhere that works the compressor or does any one have any advice before i take to the dealer and get hosed on them fixing it
Also if it was completely empty how many cans would it hold ?
But being completely empty would normally mean there is a leak somewhere
When i added the 2 cans i saw no leaks and did seems anything > please advise thanks for the help Ben
If you added two cans, you do have a leak in the system. Did you use dye to determine a leak? Did you check the belts? It could be a bunch of things. It could be a broken wire, the clutch coil, a low pressure lockout, or the evaporator temp sensor or a number of other things. Did you check your system for errors? It could be a blown compressor -- especially if you had to add two cans. The compressor uses refrigerant to lubricate itself. For AC systems, they are so basic, you don't have to take it to a dealer. A good ASE mechanic could fix the problem unless the part is under warranty. I know a lot about AC systems and I don't try to fix it myself as I don't have all of the equipment necessary to do it properly. Make sure the system is not overcharged, as that can cause damage as well.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
754 Posts
If no leaks it may be overcharged as already stated. Might be time to seek professional help.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage LX
52 Posts
The 2017 Sportage has had a recall on the air conditioner you should probably take it to the dealer and find out. My air conditioner was intermittent and after they did the recall no more problems.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
754 Posts
Please let us know what happens so others with the same issue will learn as well!

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok Hopefully they wall cover it being that they know it has been a problem with all these vehicles

·
Registered
2017 Sportage EX
179 Posts
Y,

I've been following this thread since I also have a 2017 Sportage. While looking through the Service Manual, I believe that our vehicles, like many other newer cars, have a clutchless AC compressor. The compressor turns all the time, but the pumping action varies based on inputs to the heater and AC control unit. The element in the compressor that does the controlling is called the Electric Control Valve, and this is one of the components replaced in the Service Action that aklance referred to.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,066 Posts
Y,

I've been following this thread since I also have a 2017 Sportage. While looking through the Service Manual, I believe that our vehicles, like many other newer cars, have a clutchless AC compressor. The compressor turns all the time, but the pumping action varies based on inputs to the heater and AC control unit. The element in the compressor that does the controlling is called the Electric Control Valve, and this is one of the components replaced in the Service Action that aklance referred to.
Thanks for the update. I haven't worked on AC systems for several years and didn't know they had direct drive compressor. Evidently Hyundai has had clutchless compressors for several years now. Leaks on a system like this can cause greater damage because on a clutch system, the compressor will shut off due to low pressure. I still can't see how the OP's system would need refrigerant if there were no leaks unless it was being overcharged -- which is a major problem in and of itself.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Maybe we'll find out if the OP comes back with the results. I've always been interested in AC and especially concerning a vehicle I own, like this '17 Sportage. His warranty coverage on it may be in jeopardy if they find it overcharged. You can't tamper with certain things and expect them to cover it for you.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok had appointment at dealer today
Was there nearly 4 hours
i bought the TSB with me and they gave it to thew service tech
They first stated it was over charged
They came back and stated it might be the sensor
Then they told me it appears compressor isn't getting power could be a electrical problem
They the final time they came to see me they confirmed the compressor is bad ( Just like the TSB stated , but they had to run through several other test before they came to that conclusion
They will order the compressor and it will be cover under warranty
So I will head back for a new compressor later this week when it comes in > Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok had appointment at dealer today
Was there nearly 4 hours
i bought the TSB with me and they gave it to thew service tech
They first stated it was over charged
They came back and stated it might be the sensor
Then they told me it appears compressor isn't getting power could be a electrical problem
They the final time they came to see me they confirmed the compressor is bad ( Just like the TSB stated , but they had to run through several other test before they came to that conclusion
They will order the compressor and it will be cover under warranty
So I will head back for a new compressor later this week when it comes in > Thanks for all the help
You are lucky that your overcharging of the system did not void the warranty.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Most likely that tid bit of information was not provided to the dealership.
I'm glad they are taking care of the customer.
And I learned that new technology has eliminated the starting clutch for the compressor. This I was not aware of.
So as not to hi-jack the thread too bad....what do you save by having this new type of compressor? If it is always running won't it wear out faster?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Sedan Auto 1.6 Turbo
147 Posts
Most likely that tid bit of information was not provided to the dealership.
I'm glad they are taking care of the customer.
And I learned that new technology has eliminated the starting clutch for the compressor. This I was not aware of.
So as not to hi-jack the thread too bad....what do you save by having this new type of compressor? If it is always running won't it wear out faster?
I would be interested in a response to this as well. I have done a motor swap and have no pressure in my AC lines atm. I don't want to cause damage to my compressor, I just assumed it had a clutch and would not engage the compressor until I could drive it to a HVAC shop. This information will also aid in further forum help.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage EX
179 Posts
A clutchless compressor is esentially a variable-displacement pump. You can find various explanations on line. The amount of pumping actions depends on several inputs to the control unit, including temperatures (outside, inside, requested), pressures (high side and low side), speeds (engine, vehicle), engine load, and some others. When the system is off the compressor pumps nothing and the high side and low side pressures are identical. This put only a very small load on the engine. Various failures can also cause the system to shut down. One big advantage of no clutch is the absence of the shock to the compressor when the clutch is energized.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,066 Posts
It looks like a lot of us learned about this -- even those of us who have been car nuts for decades. From reading articles about this, I've learned that this has been out for a number of years and it will actually lengthen the life of the compressor because you don't have the shock of the clutch and the load is variable rather than on and off. This also allows us to have a better environment in the car because it works far better with automatic climate controls. Everything in our car is becoming computer controlled -- and this is just another step. It is actually one less thing to worry about IMO....

·
Registered
926 Posts
Yep, good stuff to know. I've often thought about the compressor since it obviously is in use basically all the time. What I didn't realize was it literally is running all the time although sometimes not doing anything.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You are lucky that your overcharging of the system did not void the warranty.
Drained the system down before going to the dealership > I dont trust dealerships as they usually try to get you for something

1 - 20 of 25 Posts