Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento SX AWD
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2017 Kia Sorento SX with a dented rear skid panel. While I have found the replacement part I have had no luck in removing the dented one.

Has anyone else done this?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
'19 Sorento S V6 AWD in Snow White, 2021 Seltos SX turbo AWD
261 Posts
I'm not sure what this rear skid panel is.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX AWD 3.3 V6 USA
33 Posts
I’ll be tackling replacing mine soon. I have a new one sitting in a box. I believe from what I read, remove the screws and there are clips accessible from behind the bumper where you have to kind of push them out toward the rear bumper. Good luck and let us know how it goes! If I beat you to it, I’ll update this post.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX
4 Posts
Did you figure out how to remove the skid plate from your Sorento? I need to replace mine as well. I removed the three hex bolts you can see on the outside, but haven't figured out what else is holding it on. Thanks.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0 tGDI AWD
190 Posts
I've been wanting to replace the plastic ones (front and rear) on my EX with the metal ones from an SX for a while if it's an easy replacement. I haven't went underneath to check. I've been hoping for an update on this thread.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,513 Posts
I've been wanting to replace the plastic ones (front and rear) on my EX with the metal ones from an SX for a while if it's an easy replacement. I haven't went underneath to check. I've been hoping for an update on this thread.
My '16 SXL has plastic in the front - obvious when changing oil. I think they all do. The only metal one I've seen is aftermarket from Israel.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My '16 SXL has plastic in the front - obvious when changing oil. I think they all do. The only metal one I've seen is aftermarket from Israel.
I'm not talking about the under engine cover, because that's a plasticized cardboard type thing. i was talking about the metal "skit plate" at the bottom of the bumper. on the LX and EX the front and rear plates on the bumper are plastic, the SX ones are metal. Which i do believe this is what the OP is looking to remove. And i'm talking about replacing both of those panels.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think there is some confusion. I’m almost positive the front one on my SX is plastic just colored to an aluminum finish. The rear one is definitely a brush aluminum metal one. I have to replace my rear one soon just haven’t had time. I read somewhere there are clips that go from the rear bumper down to the skid plate. I can’t confirm as I haven’t done the replacement yet. If I get around to replacing it I’ll confirm.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I thought they were both metal... my bad.

I still want to do the rear to add some extra protection. especially since i tow my boat around in the summer and my utility trailer here and there for other things.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX
4 Posts
Here's the part that I and the original poster (Sally) are trying to replace. Has anyone been successful removing this from the lower REAR bumper on their Sorento?
skidplate.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Correction on my post from above. I just checked my front one. It’s metal as well.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX
4 Posts
Ecrivera, please post your results when you replace your rear skid plate. I'm hoping someone can figure out how to remove the existing one. I see the three hex bolts and the clips underneath. I'm wondering if there's something else holding the skid plate on, like glue or hidden clips. Thanks.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,513 Posts
There are five mounting flanges with holes visible across the 'top' (as your photo above orients the unboxed piece). What are you seeing underneath holding things together at each of those five flanges? I see very distinct Philips heads, likely driven into Spire clips, example below.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts