Kia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2011 sportage AWD EX-L
96 Posts
Confirmed by my dealer in Canada that the next Sportage 4G will be a 2017,

The question is will it be there next jun as they did with the Sorento ?

Can't wait to decide whether i got with the Tucson or the Sportage

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX
444 Posts
Confirmed by my dealer in Canada that the next Sportage 4G will be a 2017,

The question is will it be there next jun as they did with the Sorento ?

Can't wait to decide whether i got with the Tucson or the Sportage
I would wait and see. The Kia Version of the same cars tend to have better interior and exterior design and layout as well as a few more options. They also tend to have the better power train offerings as well. The steering and suspension tend to be better tuned as well for sporty driving.

I expect the 4G sportage to come out with the 7speed DCT and 2.0t combo vs the tucson's 7speed DCT and 1.6t combo. For that alone I would take the sportage.

BUT, based on the renderings I have seen so far.....yeah gross......nope, never, lol. I really hope they didn't just take a really nice car and completely ruin it. Honestly if they kept the current front end and fixed the IMHO bulbous rear end, I would love it.

·
Registered
2014 Sportage LX AWD, 2014 Forte LX+
296 Posts
I'd never buy a car/model unless it's produced for at least 2 years.... I can afford changing jeans due to style and fashion, car/truck is there for at least 10 years. Do you change fridge or stove to new model every time???

Way too many companies picked up on Larry Ellison (Oracle) mentality from back in the day - "I know it doen't work, but!!!! buy it, pay me the $$$ and I may get it working for you..."

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX
444 Posts
I'd never buy a car/model unless it's produced for at least 2 years.... I can afford changing jeans due to style and fashion, car/truck is there for at least 10 years. Do you change fridge or stove to new model every time???

Way too many companies picked up on Larry Ellison (Oracle) mentality from back in the day - "I know it doen't work, but!!!! buy it, pay me the $$$ and I may get it working for you..."
This is always a hit and a miss. Sometimes companies significantly cut out features between model years. Other times they add features and improve on older ones.

You can't really go wrong in terms of reliability when purchasing a car that has been produced for 2 years vs just produced. I have never purchased a new car yet, so I can't say what I would do. If I liked a car enough, I would take a chance on it possibly.

·
Registered
2011 sportage AWD EX-L
96 Posts
I would wait and see. The Kia Version of the same cars tend to have better interior and exterior design and layout as well as a few more options. They also tend to have the better power train offerings as well. The steering and suspension tend to be better tuned as well for sporty driving.
Agreed this is exactly what makes me made my choice in 2011. But when i look at the Tucson i have the feelings that they understand that and tried to close the gap a little more. Maybe i'm wrong but i have to drive them before i end up with my choice, so i'll be patient but exited. I first being disappointed when i look at the 3D rendering but then i kept in mind that's not made from Kia so it could be a little better or ....worst. Then i decide to compare the first 3D rendering of the 3G and compared to the real thing and realized that it's not as beautiful so if i apply that thinking to the 4G it could be very nice. The more i look at it the more i like it. Sure it will not pleased everyone but after a while i think they gonna changed their mind.

This is always a hit and a miss. Sometimes companies significantly cut out features between model years. Other times they add features and improve on older ones.

You can't really go wrong in terms of reliability when purchasing a car that has been produced for 2 years vs just produced. I have never purchased a new car yet, so I can't say what I would do. If I liked a car enough, I would take a chance on it possibly.
I took the chance on the first place with the 3G and i never have any regrets, car are reliable these these with a great waranty you can't go wrong with a company that climb the hill, i would be more on my heel with Honda or Toyota >:D

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX
444 Posts
Agreed this is exactly what makes me made my choice in 2011. But when i look at the Tucson i have the feelings that they understand that and tried to close the gap a little more. Maybe i'm wrong but i have to drive them before i end up with my choice, so i'll be patient but exited. I first being disappointed when i look at the 3D rendering but then i kept in mind that's not made from Kia so it could be a little better or ....worst. Then i decide to compare the first 3D rendering of the 3G and compared to the real thing and realized that it's not as beautiful so if i apply that thinking to the 4G it could be very nice. The more i look at it the more i like it. Sure it will not pleased everyone but after a while i think they gonna changed their mind.

I took the chance on the first place with the 3G and i never have any regrets, car are reliable these these with a great waranty you can't go wrong with a company that climb the hill, i would be more on my heel with Honda or Toyota >:D
I read and watched a few reviews on the new Tucson and while many say it is MUCH improved, they also note that it still has a huge flaw in the steering feel. I always feel that Hyundai is trying to emulate upscale companies while Kia is trying to be more German and leans toward the sporty side. By all means, don't limit yourself and go test out the new tucson, but if you can wait, wait. I think you will like the new sportage more.

It really depends how much I am spending, 20-30k and I could take a first year hit, but 75k...I would at least want one year first.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
The 4G Sportage is by no measure as drastic an overhaul as the change from 2G to 3G was - that was a brand new, totally-different vehicle. The 4G is basically an improved 3G using the same basic vehicle. There are styling changes but the big news is the power trains. This is essentially what makes it a 4G, so I don't think the apprehension about buying 'the first year of a new model' really applies in this case.
I'm in the position of buying a new Sportage SX in July, '16, so I'm very interested in the status of the 4G '17 model - particularly if it will be an early rollout as rumored. If the roll out is delayed until September, or if I really don't like the 4G for whatever reasons, I might be shopping around for something different. I don't think I'll be interested in a 2016 SX but I guess I should still drive one just to see how much stuff from the 2011 models they fixed over the five-year run.

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
593 Posts
The "new" Hyundai Tucson has just been released here in Oz, being a significantly different vehicle to the ix35 it replaces, in all aspects including a new engine and trans package, it's longer and wider, it looks totally different to the ix35 but VERY similar to the Santa Fe, the interior has received a total makeover and, by all accounts/reviews it drives differently (better?)too.
This suggests to me that the 4G Sportage will head in the same direction, but I have chosen to update my 2010 Sportage to a run-out 2015/16 model because I like the package I have and don't like some of the "updates/additions" that come on the Tucson (which I am sure will be shared on the 4G Sportage).
Of course I am looking forward to seeing what the "new" Sportage will look and drive like, but I'm in no hurry to head down this path.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts