Kia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of a sudden, my 2016 Soul is burning oil. (91,000 miles)

I just had an oil change 3500 miles ago and now the light is on.
I checked and the oil is almost non-existent. I added oil immediately
so I would be able to get it to the dealership.

1) Has anyone else had this issue?
2) Does the fact that I added oil void my 100,000 miles and the extended
warranty?

Thanks.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,096 Posts
What model and engine?

Not adding oil to keep it within the normal working level would void the warranty.

1) Did you check the oil level immediately after the last oil change?
2) How often do you check the oil level?

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What model and engine?

Not adding oil to keep it within the normal working level would void the warranty.

1) Did you check the oil level immediately after the last oil change?
2) How often do you check the oil level?
It is base model. 4 cylinder 2.0 liter engine.

Honestly, I never realized I had to check the levels after an oil change.

·
Registered
2018 Soul!
44 Posts

True Story...You should "ALWAYS" check you oil right after a change and you should check to make sure the cap is put back on. I got my oil changed many years ago and upon returning home and getting out of the car I noticed a wet trail leading right up to my car. I opened the hood and sure enough my cap was just laying there and the underside of my hood was soaked. People are human and we all make mistakes. A 5 sec check could save you an engine.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Soul+ , GDI motor
5 Posts
Thought i posted this already… but don’t see it…. I have a 2018 Kia Soul+ and the past 3 oil changes, i’be been notified of no oil left on the dipstick!! Even after the 1st time, I’ve had to add oil well before the 3000 mile interval and change the oil religiously even though the it’s recommended 5000 miles with the type of driving being done. This Kia only has 73k miles and before anyone asks, i do ensure there is sufficient amount of oil after the changes. Of the 3 changes i mentioned, the 2nd one i done myself just for reassurance again and also had to replace the oil pan nut since the threads were starting to wear. Realistically I’m getting about 2k miles before having to add oil. Which i’’ve been using synthetic blend as recommended in the owners manual. Has Anyone replaced the PCV valve as mentioned above, and has it helped? I’m going to replace ours just to see, figure it wouldn’t hurt. Has anyone talked with Kia about this? What is the official word? This car is babied since it’s my wife’s car and she loves this car. But we both ANYONE with feedback would be appreciated as I’m VERY concerned here.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul +
10 Posts

The base Soul has comes with a 1.6 liter engine. The + comes with a 2.0 liter engine and a 1.6 liter turbo is available but I don't know which models have it.
If you search the Kia forums or use Google you will find that excessive oil consumption is caused by carbon buildup in the engine rings. The Kia dealership can perform an oil consumption test to determine if the engine rings need to be cleaned. I would contact them before you warranty expires.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Soul+ , GDI motor
5 Posts
The base Soul has comes with a 1.6 liter engine. The + comes with a 2.0 liter engine and a 1.6 liter turbo is available but I don't know which models have it.
If you search the Kia forums or use Google you will find that excessive oil consumption is caused by carbon buildup in the engine rings. The Kia dealership can perform an oil consumption test to determine if the engine rings need to be cleaned. I would contact them before you warranty expires.
So we took the car back to the dealer. They did an oil change, charged us $50. Told us to return the vehicle after 1000 miles or if we thought the oil was low on the dipstick. She drove the car a little over 800 miles and when I checked the dipstick, there was barely any oil on the dipstick “safe” range. So, i asked her to take it to the dealer and ask for a consumption test. The dealer called her back saying her tires were good, front alignment was good, and brakes were good. Not sure WTF, they were doing, called them up and told them the car was there for consumption test not a tire etc.. test. So they called back and said it was only 1/2 qt. Low. NOW my question is… does anyone have a copy of the TSB on this? I guess figuring the car should be changed every 5000 miles and low at the 800 mark…. By the time it hits 5000 there WON’T be any oil in it. So my other question…. WTF are these car makers doing to these motors? From what I’ve been learning… this is NOT something new coming from mechanics at other car maker dealerships. Anyone got a TSB on this?? ** forgot to mention, i just checked the oil and looks like the dealer topped off the oil without saying anything.

·
Registered
2012 Soul Base
22 Posts
That's good info to be aware of - Thanks for posting. We bought our Soul this Spring and don't have a lot of miles on it so far - had it torn down to install a base plate, auxiliary brakes, and stop/tail/turn lights to tow behind our motorhome. In the 500 miles I've driven, it hasn't used any oil at all. Fingers crossed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts