Kia Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

Registered
USA 2016 Kia Sorento
I wonder why Kia's site says software upgrade needed. And, all the seller's on Ebay are saying fits with my VIN number? Totally misleading. Oh well, I guess I bought a useless card. :cautious:

Registered
USA 2016 Kia Sorento
No SD (2016 LX & EX):

With SD (2016 SX) note the SD icon to the right of the CD slot:
I wonder why Kia's site says software upgrade needed. And, all the seller's on Ebay are saying fits with my VIN number? Totally misleading. Oh well, I guess I bought a useless card. :cautious:
Does anybody think it would work if I hooked a card reader up to the USB port and tried that way? Or has that been tried?

Registered
2016 KIA Sorento SXL - Technology Package
Does anybody think it would work if I hooked a card reader up to the USB port and tried that way? Or has that been tried?
It does not unfortunately. It is like putting Windows on your microwave. The firmware is simply not supported by the device, your car.

Registered
So, just to clarify, am I correct that the "free" firmware upgrade for my Kia is no longer available, and I'll have to pony up $145 to get the upgrade from MapNSoft if I want to get all the new functionality?

All I really care about is the software; I'm happy to just use Google Maps or WAZE for navigation.

Registered
So, just to clarify, am I correct that the "free" firmware upgrade for my Kia is no longer available, and I'll have to pony up $145 to get the upgrade from MapNSoft if I want to get all the new functionality?

All I really care about is the software; I'm happy to just use Google Maps or WAZE for navigation.
Yes, the free firmware upgrade is no longer available. However, if all you are concerned about is the firmware update, you can update it by going to:

https://www.kia-gpsmap.us/carplay-androidauto

It costs $50 and does not update the map. Please don't hesitate to contact KIA and MapNSoft to express your opinion about this process.

Registered
Yes, the free firmware upgrade is no longer available. However, if all you are concerned about is the firmware update, you can update it by going to:

https://www.kia-gpsmap.us/carplay-androidauto

It costs $50 and does not update the map. Please don't hesitate to contact KIA and MapNSoft to express your opinion about this process.
Thanks - I'll definitely be letting Kia know about my displeasure; probably MapNSoft as well.

Kinda makes me wonder whether they'll welsh on the 10 years of UVO support, too. Speaking of which, I didn't see one way or the other on the Kia site if it'll be possible to extend UVO support beyond the 10-year limit.

Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
Discussion Starter #68
Guess the good news is that you don't have to make personal contact now. That's not a KiA site, either. It's mnsoft using the Kia logo, doing what should have been Kia's business.

Registered
So... hypothetically-but-maybe-not... If one were to temporarily acquire the SD card from a newer Kia and make a copy of it, would that copy work in an older Kia such as my own? (I'm guessing not - but I get lucky every now and again.)

Registered
So... hypothetically-but-maybe-not... If one were to temporarily acquire the SD card from a newer Kia and make a copy of it, would that copy work in an older Kia such as my own? (I'm guessing not - but I get lucky every now and again.)
Hypothetically yes, but that car would have to be the exact same model, year and have the same VIN as yours. So in reality this is not possible.

Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
Discussion Starter #71
The serial/VIN match wasn't originally to prevent owners from swapping firmware -- that was being given away for free so it didn't matter. The concern was over swapping map content where they were making big $ for something any reputable GPS company gives away for free on a quarterly basis. Unfortunately, the firmware gets caught in it.

Registered

Thanks for this info, much appreciated! Not sure if anyone has gone this route but I just ordered the above upgrade for $50. I was chatting with one of the reps and they said that it comes with Android Auto, and mapping data but that the mapping data is from 2015. I know the mapping data I currently have on my SIM card is more current then what I'll get with the new sim card. Does anyone know if I'll be able to copy the mapping data from my current card over to the new sim card? I asked the rep and he said that is something they of course wouldn't assist me with and that I can only purchase the upgraded map data. I don't need the current map data with the upgrade of android auto, but never the less, might as well have access to it if I already have it on the current card. Anyone have any ideas on if this is possible?

Registered
2019 Sorento SXL AWD in negotiation yet...
Interesting stuff.. installed onto my phone, checked and like it. Simple. The only question I have how much it will cost after factory warranty will lap!

61 - 73 of 73 Posts