Kia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
24 Posts
Ah. And the file that you posted is gone as well (or otherwise was not working for folks, maybe VIN issues)?

Just checking

*I* updated my 2015 a long time ago: a friend just bought a new 2016 (yes--brand new, on lot a LONG time) an is ticked off that *I*have carplay and he can't seem to get it.

Oh, and thanks for your efforts and response!
Have your friend call Kia customer service, not the dealer but Kia corporate. I complained that as a 2nd owner who bought just after the cutoff date that it was unfair that I had to pay for the update. They sent me a free update as a one time courtesy.

·
Registered
'15 Kia Sedona SX
100 Posts
My friend did not want to try a used SD from eBay, so he ponied up the $170 for the "officia" maps update. He confirms that it "worked like a charm," immediately updating the maps AND delivering carplay. No VIN required in the transaction.

I think an eBay used one would have done the same...

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX AWD
9 Posts
Have your friend call Kia customer service, not the dealer but Kia corporate. I complained that as a 2nd owner who bought just after the cutoff date that it was unfair that I had to pay for the update. They sent me a free update as a one time courtesy.
I called them today, explained that I'm a second owner of a 2016 Sorento and would like to update to Andorid Auto version of the software since I read online that a complimentary update was available. I was transferred to their UVO expert who referred me to the site where they sell updates. She said that the deal with the complimentary update is over and from 2018 on everyone has to buy UVO updates. Too bad that the previous owner didn't update it when it was available.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I called 3 days ago and they said the same thing to me. I just bought a 2016 SX last week thinking I could get the update for free. Has anyone try to buy it off ebay? I'm not sure I want to pay the full $260.95 to get it from map update site.

·
Registered
2016 KIA Sorento SXL - Technology Package
9 Posts
Is there anyone that is willing/able to upload the firmware update directly? I just purchased a 2016 KIA Sorento SXL, but it still has the original firmware on it. The owner never updated it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature
Done. I had already added vehicle (year & model) to my signature.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
So that we are clear - much has changed since I started this thread:

The new UVO firmware WAS obtained via a website using a Kia supplied *.exe (executable app) on a PC, and transferred directly to the SD card by that app. This only worked WHEN the url being used BY the app was still pointing to a valid site. Kia has since taken DOWN the entire UVO site, so the app for the PC on longer points at anything useful, and can therefore no longer download the new firmware to supply to the SD card. This is a KIA issue. The old url redirects to a Kia web page that is useless for this purpose.

There WAS and IS no separately accessible code on the PC that could be transferred to the SD card. It was received and transferred on the fly by the app that NO LONGER points to a valid source for the firmware.

If anyone has a complaint about this, PLEASE take it up with Kia and ask them why they took down the UVO site and what they plan to do for owners who can no longer update firmware. I hit a brick wall with them. More voices are better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for your response on the thread. And thank you so much for starting this thread and helping out those that needed the help. It’s unfortunate that KIA doesn’t provide the support and a customer has to pickup the slack that KIA left.

Just before I posted on this thread I spoke with Colleen and her supervisor from KIA Customer Affairs and they were very dismissive. He kept blaming it on Apple and saying it is Apple’s not providing them with CarPlay updates anymore. He said that Apple didn’t come out with CarPlay until 2017, so they allowed their customers to update retroactively, but only for a limited amount of time. This is obviously completely made up and incorrect. Little did he know that I work as an Apple engineer and CarPlay was introduced in 2014. He said all I can do is pay $149 for the update and it’s not his/KIA’s fault.

I am very dissatisfied with the conversation I had with KIA Customer Affairs and KIA’s care for its customers. The representatives I spoke with were dismissive, kept talking over me and showed little appreciation for their customer.

I had high hopes for KIA as a fresh, up and coming car manufacturer. It seems that it has purpose behind its decisions both in design and in other parts of its business. This however seems like a poor decision and has no benefit for its business, only making its customers dissatisfied.

I hope KIA get’s it’s senses back and do what is right. Both for itself and for its customers.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Just for grins, I called Kia America again and hit enough buttons (2 - 4 - 2 - 0) to talk directly to a UVO rep, and got a slightly different story.

As all of you know, Kia at one time provided all of the head update firmware directly from their own site (see back to the original posts). This UVO rep claims that MapnSoft is now the sole supplier for not just the overpriced map updates, but the head firmware as well. Online at MapnSoft, you can only update as an entire package (firmware plus the NAM.12.47.44.XXX (V13.5) map) for $145. HOWEVER, the Kia rep also says that if a person were to CALL mnsoft that they are prepared to supply JUST the firmware, but at a price. The rep said he believed it was a $50 charge. Make of that what you will. Considering Kia was supplying for free before, I think it's a bit bogus.

Note: Android Auto and Apple CarPlay were added as of V10.5 so any new firmware update will include those features.

MapnSoft Contact phone number is 1-888-757-0010 , 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST Mon-Fri 6:00 am - 5:00 pm PST, Sat 6:00 am - 1:00 pm PST.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Trying to chat with MnSOFT hasn't been successful. Every time an agents connects, he leaves the conversation and it is disconnected. This has been a great experience so far /s.

Chat1.png Chat2.png Chat3.png Chat4.png

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
That was my previous experience also, which is why I posted the phone number to see if that changes anything.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
That's what I was wondering, I see no slot anywhere. It must be hidden.
Yeah, it's hidden. There's a little cover just to the right of your CD slot. Grab the left side with a fingernail and pull outward.

·
Registered
USA 2016 Kia Sorento
11 Posts
It seems you have a 2016 Kia Sorento LX. That does not have an SD card.
OMG, I just ordered an SD card to update it. All the manuals, quick tips card, everything says it has Android Auto. All I get after 5 cables and 3 phones is Media Read Failed. Thought sure it needed an update. Even the availability on Kia says *Software update may be needed". The card I ordered is for a 2015-2017 Kia Sorento. I'm confused?
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
OMG, I just ordered an SD card to update it. All the manuals, quick tips card, everything says it has Android Auto. All I get after 5 cables and 3 phones is Media Read Failed. Thought sure it needed an update. Even the availability on Kia says *Software update may be needed". The card I ordered is for a 2015-2017 Kia Sorento. I'm confused?
Thanks for your help.
Apple CarPlay & Android Auto is reserved for the EX Touring (Requires Premium Package), SX and SXL in the 2016 KIA Sorento. The L and LX do not have this option.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX+ V6 AWD
108 Posts
Thanks for your help.
No SD (2016 LX & EX):

With SD (2016 SX) note the SD icon to the right of the CD slot:

41 - 60 of 73 Posts